LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Recommendations for good budget 245-45-18 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-17, 04:02 PM
cerberusM5
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Recommendations for good budget 245-45-18 tires?

Time for another set of tires.

What do you guys think are the best ones for the lowest price with the following needs?

Good All season performance
Quiet
Long lasting
Great value

I would like to stay around $500 a set or less.

Thanks
Old 03-19-17, 04:32 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cerberusM5
Time for another set of tires.

What do you guys think are the best ones for the lowest price with the following needs?

Good All season performance
Quiet
Long lasting
Great value

I would like to stay around $500 a set or less.

Thanks
I looked last summer to upgrade from my Goodyear tires to something else. I too was wanting for the same criteria. However my thought is to get the best which IMO is the Michelin Premier which will be about $1,000.
The following users liked this post:
tallcaguy (03-24-17)
Old 03-19-17, 04:35 PM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Unfortunately I only can provide my thoughts on one set of tires since getting my LS 430.

But i use the Kumho TA-71:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Solus+TA71&width=245%2F&ratio=45&diameter=18&autoMake=Lexus&autoYear=2003&autoModel=LS430&autoModClar=&minLoadRating=S&minSpeedRating=H&partnum=445WR8TA71XL

It's been about 6 months and only 8,000 miles but it's been pretty darn good in my humble opinion. The last tires I had on the LS when i bought it were some "VAL-U" model Goodyears. Quite noisy and even though I never thought tires could make THAT much of a difference in ride, it was very noticeable once i put the TA-71's on and the ride was noticeably smoother. Not to mention much less tire noise.

ymmv. But the TA-71's have worked wonderfully for me.

PS: I hear snow traction is quite bad with the TA-71 so keep that in mind. Rain traction has been good for me however. Unless i gun it taking a corner, it's never lost composure.

Last edited by Mobius1; 03-19-17 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-19-17, 06:11 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Smile favorite tire website

My favorite tire website for cars AND trucks is www.discounttiredirect.com

Ever since Al Gore created the internet, I've purchased my tires there.
Old 03-19-17, 07:05 PM
NCUser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ohtsu tires are made by sumitomo/falken using discountinued falken models. I find ohtsu fp7000 ( a/s) and fp8000 (summer) nice bargains. Fp8000 is rebrand for falken 452 and fp7000 for 512. Both 452 and 512 were successful tires. You can find ohtsu on amazon, eBay and many online retailers.
Old 03-19-17, 08:48 PM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NCUser
Ohtsu tires are made by sumitomo/falken using discountinued falken models. I find ohtsu fp7000 ( a/s) and fp8000 (summer) nice bargains. Fp8000 is rebrand for falken 452 and fp7000 for 512. Both 452 and 512 were successful tires. You can find ohtsu on amazon, eBay and many online retailers.
i did not know that, good to know. Any way I use sunitomo HRZ III. I love them not the quietest, but smother and man good grip. Rain traction is good but we don't get mutch rain. Sonow is only a valuable indorse 😊.
Old 03-20-17, 12:00 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mobius1
Unfortunately I only can provide my thoughts on one set of tires since getting my LS 430.

But i use the Kumho TA-71:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Solus+TA71&width=245%2F&ratio=45&diameter=18&autoMake=Lexus&autoYear=2003&autoModel=LS430&autoModClar=&minLoadRating=S&minSpeedRating=H&partnum=445WR8TA71XL

It's been about 6 months and only 8,000 miles but it's been pretty darn good in my humble opinion. The last tires I had on the LS when i bought it were some "VAL-U" model Goodyears. Quite noisy and even though I never thought tires could make THAT much of a difference in ride, it was very noticeable once i put the TA-71's on and the ride was noticeably smoother. Not to mention much less tire noise.

ymmv. But the TA-71's have worked wonderfully for me.

PS: I hear snow traction is quite bad with the TA-71 so keep that in mind. Rain traction has been good for me however. Unless i gun it taking a corner, it's never lost composure.
Tire Rack has "real world" usage opinions and these tires rank as high as much more expensive tires. I love my set.

Tire Rack will ship these to your preferred installer - they have some to choose based on zip code with pre-negotiated pricing - with no taxes and good prices.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-17-tires.html
Old 03-20-17, 04:58 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

You can get the Toyo Versado Noir for the price you're looking for. I just put a new set on. A very nice tire thus far.
Old 03-22-17, 05:49 AM
mncz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just put some Kumho Ecsta Platinums on my 2003, with 2004 wheels. Summer only, as it's Minnesota. 91 bucks for the 245/45/18 size. Reviews are very good. Tire Rack people told me and the installer they did a special purchase, hence the price, which is lower than you will find at competitors.

Very quiet, smooth tires. It's only been a couple hundred miles, but so far, I like the tires. They look good for that size, somewhat sporty, and helped modernize the 2003 when added with the 2004 hyper silver wheels.
Old 03-22-17, 06:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

My car came with Rydanz Roadster 02's, and they are sold online and locally. No complaints. I can't just throw them away, but I tend to be a Michelin man. One car has Pilot Super Sports, the other Premier LTXs. I see myself getting the Premiers in the future, just will bite the bullet, or go Pilot a/s 3+, which most say is too much tire for a LS430.

I have personally observed, that Lexus dealers, when reconditioning LS430s for sale, will cheap out on the tires. One that showed me the internal work order, listed the p/n's for the Dunlop SP Sport oems, yet when I saw the car in person, the tires were made in China. Maybe the SP's ended up in a tech's trunk, like when you provide your own parts and they charge you labor. lol
Old 03-22-17, 10:15 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I have personally observed, that Lexus dealers, when reconditioning LS430s for sale, will cheap out on the tires. One that showed me the internal work order, listed the p/n's for the Dunlop SP Sport oems, yet when I saw the car in person, the tires were made in China. Maybe the SP's ended up in a tech's trunk, like when you provide your own parts and they charge you labor. lol
John, did you buy your LS at a Lexus dealership?
Old 03-22-17, 11:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
John, did you buy your LS at a Lexus dealership?
No...it was a GMC dealership.....also a new car dealer, supposedly traded in on a Denali (Suburban)...but now I think car salesman say anything....

There was a 2005 LS430, at a huge Lexus dealership, and the concierge emailed me the internal work order for everything they did to the car after trade. It had 2 new shocks on the right side only, 4 new tires, alignment, so my wife and I rushed out on a Fri. night to see it. It couldn't even start!! lol They called me Sat. to say yes they will do the timing belt and water pump, but we were on our way to look at the one we bought...no lie the paperwork had a p/n for the Dunlop SP OEM tires, and it had made in China no-names on it....
Old 03-22-17, 11:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mncz
Just put some Kumho Ecsta Platinums on my 2003, with 2004 wheels. Summer only, as it's Minnesota. 91 bucks for the 245/45/18 size. Reviews are very good. Tire Rack people told me and the installer they did a special purchase, hence the price, which is lower than you will find at competitors.

Very quiet, smooth tires. It's only been a couple hundred miles, but so far, I like the tires. They look good for that size, somewhat sporty, and helped modernize the 2003 when added with the 2004 hyper silver wheels.
I've had 3 sets of Kumhos on my Maxima, no complaints....the 2nd set I never rotated, it's FWD....the fronts were shot in 22k....I estimated that the fronts wore at a rate 3X that of the rear. Not sure how the LS will do being RWD. On my BMW, the rears wear faster than the fronts, as do the rear brakes. That is so the opposite of FWD cars....rear brakes wearing faster imho is a function of traction control and stability control, it defies physics and logic....
Old 03-26-17, 03:34 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a brand new set of Nexen Nfera SU1 in 20" for the Summer and they surprisingly handle great in dry and wet. Very low noise tire (like a Michelin) and you can get a set in 18" for less than $500
Old 03-27-17, 01:00 AM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That size I believe is the same as what's on a Chevy SS a.k.a. Holden Commodore, or at least the V6 version of.

I run Achillies ATR Sport on mine in 20 inch, got them for a good deal and they aren't too bad a tyre as well. I used to go a bit more upmarket on my old Mondeo, used to get Bridgestone Potenza RE002s and Dunlop Direzza DZ101s but the cost of chewing those out soon became prohibitive, ended up with a set of Hankook Ventus V2 in 225/40/18 and they were a bloody good tyre, hung on real well in wet and dry conditions and even at the track they held on when you really pushed them.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for good budget 245-45-18 tires?