LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New Tires: Toyo Versado Noir

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-17, 05:50 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
Default New Tires: Toyo Versado Noir

It was time for new tires for my 2004 LS430. I think I could have gotten one more season out of the Continental PureContacts, but 1 tire I plugged recently and another had a slow leak (it was the tire, not the rim). So I opted to go new all around. On the surface, which tires to get should have been really easy. The tire thread here is king of discussion. The overwhelming consensus was the Pirelli P7 Plus. It's the finest riding, quietest tire available for the LS apparently. When I checked the reviews at Tirerack, sure enough the P7 Plus is the gold standard grand touring all season tire but with one caveat: if there's no rain in the forecast and a "big increase in wet grip is a must" under the cons. That ruled it out for me immediately. My local tire place I trust essentially said the same thing in addition to "I try talking people out of them. After the honeymoon of new tire wears out people seem to be really disappointed in this tire". So I'd say YMMV...but I didn't want to chance the wet weather ability.

Another choice was the Michelin A/S. It's a really good tire. Can't go wrong with it..apart from being a bit pricey. I also considered the General RT-43, which is another tire that consistently tests and receives excellent ratings. A couple people suggested I try the Toyo Versado Noirs. I had previously test driven an LS with Versado Noirs on it and was impressed. I had forgotten about this tire because you don't read many reviews about them...so they had slipped my mind. After doing further research I decided I'd give these tires a try!

I called my dealer (she also recommended them highly despite not carrying them) and we settled on a price. It took about a week to get in. Install was done in a mere 45 minutes (2 guys worked on it). Tires have an alleged life of 120,000kms. There was also a $70 rebate going on.

RIDE: Car is smooth as can be, but it's an LS so not unexpected. Car is definitely quieter (road noise) up to about 50 mph or so. After that I can't really notice a difference. Small road impacts seems smoother/quieter. A set of train tracks I cross every day was definitely quieter. I think larger imperfections (large cracks) are slightly louder with a slightly more pronounced "thud". I'm not 100% sure though. Might be just me looking for something that's not there.

HANDLING: Car handles better, which I wasn't really expecting, so a nice surprise. Roadholding is better around corners and turn in is also a bit more responsive. It's still an LS and isn't suddenly a sports sedan, but there is enough of a difference to notice.

That's my initial review with ~50 miles on them. The sidewall graphics are interesting..and you can notice it as you approach the car. Not sure if this is good or bad,...just different. According to a few people who own these, they somehow get quieter after "break in". I've not heard that before, so I'll have to see. I'm also curious to see how they perform in the wet.
Old 03-17-17, 08:34 AM
rustednail
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the same tires a couple months ago. I really like them. So quiet
Old 03-17-17, 09:19 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Looks like you're not the only one who found these worthy of buying for the LS.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...sado-noir.html

When my Yokohamas need replacing in the fall, I'll give a look.
Old 03-19-17, 10:49 AM
beercan
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

What is your tire size?
I just installed Zeetex (Chinese tires) - that are 245/45/18. Went from my winter tires (235/50/18) and the steering is so much tighter now. Lots of noise too. I'm considering something better.
Thanks.
Old 03-20-17, 04:27 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by beercan
what is your tire size?
I just installed zeetex (chinese tires) - that are 245/45/18. Went from my winter tires (235/50/18) and the steering is so much tighter now. Lots of noise too. I'm considering something better.
Thanks.
oem 17". 225/55/17
Old 03-31-17, 03:36 PM
chuck58
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When you say road noise ".. is significantly better to 50 and then you can really tell a difference...". do you mean it is quieter above 50? Or, do you notice a increase in noise above 50? Thanks.
Old 04-17-21, 06:16 PM
Notgrownup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire choice

I was really wanting Michelin’s but got a good deal on Goodyear Assurance comfortread touring, I am very satisfied on my 15 RX350 I actually have a set on my 18 F150 and they are super quiet.
Old 04-17-21, 07:05 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 118 Posts

You should post this in the tire thread, this post will get lost in the shuffle but your feedback may be helpful to someone down the road who refers to it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...er-thread.html
Old 07-16-21, 08:22 PM
park10
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to ask for any experience/ feedback on Goodyear Assurance ComfortRide for 2015 RX 350 with 18 inch wheels. Mine has a horrible harsh stiff noisy ride. The stock Dunlop are Bad. Just saw @Notgrownup post above. I was almost ready to go with Michelin Premier LTX and stumbled upon Assurance ComfortRide information. The tire is new, so not a lot of reviews yet. Anyone has any experience on these ? @Notgrownup can you write a bit more in detail, how does it absorb road imperfections such as going over lane marking paint, slightest of imperfection, small potholes as regards to thud, vibration and noise? Many thanks. appreciate any feedback.