LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Contemplating Dealer Service vs. DIY - 120K Service

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-17, 02:14 PM
jdudeski
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Contemplating Dealer Service vs. DIY - 120K Service

I'm contemplating doing my own 120K service on my 2004 LS430. Cost to have the dealer do it is $865 + tax, vs. a lot less in OEM parts and fluids for me to do it myself. This would be the first time I have had the LS in for service since I bought it (my wife's garage queen that's not driven often). The last time I went to a mechanic for anything I own was around 15 years ago. I always service all of my own stuff and the LS is the first car I've thought about having the dealer do in a very, very long time. I've built lots of vehicles, done lots of major parts/timing belts/chains/etc and can certainly handle things, but I am rapidly getting to the point where I don't feel like dealing with this stuff as much anymore. That being said, I'm also frugal and not opposed to just doing it myself if it's really easy.

I pulled my service schedule and here is what's listed:
- Replace air conditioner filter
- Replace engine oil and oil filter
- Replace spark plugs
- Replace brake fluid
- Re-torque drive shaft flange bolts
- Rotate tires
- Replace engine air filter
- Replace engine coolant
- Road-test vehicle

Additional Maintenance Items for Special Operating Conditions:
- Inspect nuts and bolts on chassis and body
- Replace differential oil
- Replace transmission fluid

Are these cars easy to work on? This seems like I should just be doing these things myself and saving the money to put toward what I owe on it ( ) instead of paying the dealer. My main complaint with dealers from my past is the quality of the work and/or lost parts from my car (ex: one time a VW dealership lost my lower engine shroud when servicing my car, then denied it). Although the Lexus mechanics are obviously highly skilled and competent, I just still have a hard time trusting anyone to work on my cars. I'm mainly concerned here with the fluid changes, since I know one of the mechanics there and they use the machines that fully exchange the fluids. If I do it myself, it'll be a glorified D&F/brake bleed (do I need a computer to bleed this like the LS460?). I've also read about the trans D&F vs. exchange and I'm still unsure as to what's best to do there?

TL;DR: Should I just service my LS430 myself for the 120K service, or is it really worth it going to the dealer?
Old 03-03-17, 02:18 PM
wavesonic
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LS430 is pretty easy to work on. I bought the LS430 in May 2016 with 97K, and have done the services listed above. They are very straight forward, the spark plugs are much easier to change than the other Toyota engines like 2GRFE where it requires you to remove the intake manifold.

The forum has a lot of DIY procedures with pictures, they are really really helpful with me learning the car. I would recommend to spread out the DIYs and focus on one area at a time to make sure the job is completed properly.
Old 03-03-17, 02:21 PM
wavesonic
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way, with transmission fluid, I did the exchange method myself by flushing 3 gallon of the old fluid out. Brake bleed is easy as well, no need for a computer.
The following users liked this post:
jdudeski (03-07-17)
Old 03-03-17, 05:02 PM
jdudeski
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply.

Well alright, as long as there's no laptop and techstream required like the 460 for brake bleeding, I think I'm just going to go ahead and do it! If working on the LS really is pretty easy, I'm going to save the money.
Old 03-04-17, 07:45 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I've done a number of different things on the LS and they all seem to be pretty easy. Brakes, throttlebody cleaning, transmission fluid, rear differential,. Next week I am tackling the transmission mount, stabilizer bushings and rear lower control arm bushing's. All these things are pretty easy DIY items. The filters obviously are easy. The only thing that may require some investigating is the torque value for the drive shaft bolts. A simple thread search will yield the answer for that
steedls400 (08-06-20)
Old 03-04-17, 08:19 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

The LS430 is very easy to work on for many standard maint items.
Cabin and engine air filters are super easy easy.
Oil and oil filter is easy.
Changing brake pads is easy.
Cleaning MAF and throttle body is easy.
Draining and refilling ATF even on my 06 is relatively easy although you have to measure input and output carefully) This is way easier on 01-03 because ATF could be added and checked via ATF dipstick port rather than via hand pump in replacement fluid from below on 04-06 models....still pretty easy if you take your time.
Drain and fill on PS fluid is easy.
Drain and refill rear differential is easy.
Replace PVC valve is easy.
Haven't had to change spark plugs yet but process and access looks pretty easy.

I let Lexus do TB and WP at 89k replacing coolant was part of that service. I also have Lexus flush and change brake fluid every 2 years.
Old 03-04-17, 11:26 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

congrats....imho Jdud is perfectly in a position to DIY....
Old 03-05-17, 06:55 PM
jdudeski
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. That trans D&F seems like the most tedious part of it.

I spent part of today looking up all kinds of info for this. I am going to do more homework tonight and tomorrow, then I'll probably post up with a couple of questions before I order up all of the parts.
Old 03-05-17, 07:07 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

There's a saying in the carpentry business "Measure twice, cut once". Same can be applied to working on thr car. Do all your research before you start ordering parts. MyLparts.com is one of the sponsors of the site, so check with them on costs. Also, Rockauto.com has a great selection. Thanks for the update!
Old 03-06-17, 05:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I used to shy away from bleeding brakes, as if getting air in the system were mysterious or something, imho that's a bang for buck job. Done right, and for pennies.

Well, Lexus charged me only $59, which is an anomaly as that's cheaper than a muffler shop, but I don't think they did it right. I think it's the "drain and fill" job once again, which is not going to remove all the contaminated fluid, just a fraction. I am basing this observation on the color change from leaving the dealership to now.

On DIY, probably easier to have a helper, but it would be nice to have the correct motive adapter for Japanese...my only advice in general is don't have the helper mash the pedal through the floor, it's not necessary and one of the reasons shops prefer to use a motive or something similar.....
Old 03-06-17, 08:11 AM
jdudeski
Driver School Candidate

I have always bled my brakes with a MityVac and a fluid reservoir or by gravity bleeds. I've always wanted to go the Motive power bleeder way, but never actually ponied up the cash for one.

Currently putting together my shopping list here! Stay tuned...
Old 03-06-17, 09:14 AM
jdudeski
Driver School Candidate

OK, I'm throwing this order together and I've got a couple of questions:

1) 3 quarts of ATF for the trans D&F should be more than enough, right?
2) 3 gallons of coolant should be enough to do a complete D&F, correct?
3) I'm looking for the gaskets/crush washers for the oil drain plug, the trans, and the rear diff. Can someone check me here?
- 12157-10010 for the rear diff (need 2?)
- 35178-30010 for the trans (need 2?)
- 90430-12031 for the oil drain plug?

Last edited by jdudeski; 03-06-17 at 09:18 AM. Reason: I think I found the oil drain plug gasket
Old 03-06-17, 09:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdudeski
OK, I'm throwing this order together and I've got a couple of questions:

1) 3 quarts of ATF for the trans D&F should be more than enough, right?
2) 3 gallons of coolant should be enough to do a complete D&F, correct?
3) I'm looking for the gaskets/crush washers for the oil drain plug, the trans, and the rear diff. Can someone check me here?
- 12157-10010 for the rear diff (need 2?)
- 35178-30010 for the trans (need 2?)
- 90430-12031 for the oil drain plug?
The drain plug gasket is definitely correct.

The indie told me he only got 3 quarts replaced by the drain/fill of the tranny.

The dealer charged me for 2 gals. for the drain/fill of the radiator. This, I would go to Walmart and not Toyota, $8.xx vs. $25, for SLLC2 which only comes in 50/50 pre-mix (pink)....then again I think 2004's used Toyota red coolant, which does come in a 100%.....
jdudeski (03-06-17)
Old 03-06-17, 10:40 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

had the 120,000 mile service done and it was $719.08. It does not include a coolant change as that is part of the 100,000 mile service. I am not suggesting that you don't do it. If you have not had it done in the last 50,000 miles then it is a good idea. The dealer changed 2 gallons of coolant on my 90,000 mile service that included timing belt and water pump. I just noticed that I did get 10% discount on the 120,000 service. It has been 4 months and 6 days since I had this done. I did not get my coolant changed again on the 100,000 service as the dealer said it was not needed at that time since it had been done at the earlier service.. oh by the way $550 of the bill was for labor.
Old 03-06-17, 11:40 AM
jdudeski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
had the 120,000 mile service done and it was $719.08. It does not include a coolant change as that is part of the 100,000 mile service. I am not suggesting that you don't do it. If you have not had it done in the last 50,000 miles then it is a good idea. The dealer changed 2 gallons of coolant on my 90,000 mile service that included timing belt and water pump. I just noticed that I did get 10% discount on the 120,000 service. It has been 4 months and 6 days since I had this done. I did not get my coolant changed again on the 100,000 service as the dealer said it was not needed at that time since it had been done at the earlier service.. oh by the way $550 of the bill was for labor.
Is your dealer following the proper maintenance schedule? I copied/pasted my schedule's 120K list into the first post. Here is what's listed for 100K:
- Replace air conditioner filter
- Rotate tires
- Replace engine oil and oil filter
- Road-test vehicle

I did have my coolant done at 90K with the WP/TB, although that was more than 2 years ago now (vehicle was serviced through the local dealer and all records are online).

Quick Reply: Contemplating Dealer Service vs. DIY - 120K Service