LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New Brakes & Rotors Cost

Old 02-12-17, 01:11 PM
Rosson3ri
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Brakes & Rotors Cost

So I need to change all of my brakes and rotors.

Mechanic I usually go to is saying it's going to cost me around $950 to do the job. I was thinking it would be more around the $600 range.

not even thinking about going to the dealer because I would think it's even more.

any thoughts anyone? Is $950 reasonable?
Old 02-12-17, 01:19 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

That price sounds like full retail to me. Brakes is a high margin job even for indies and muffler shops. Maybe you can find an indie where you can buy the parts online, and have them install them?

What I dislike about having others do my brakes is they can charge full retail for say a rotor, and then use a $30 rotor, and enjoy a tremendous margin. Then, in months, the hat of the rotor rusts like there's no tomorrow, indicating it's a cheap part. I bought my car used and this is the case on my rears...my .02...

I don't know if this is cheap, but $250 for front pads rotors shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-OEM-FACTORY-FRONT-BRAKE-PADS-AND-ROTOR-SET-2001-2006-LS430-/252306692586?fits=Model%3ALS430&hash=item3abea699ea:g:QbIAAOSwRLZT~PIP&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-OEM-FACTORY-REAR-BRAKE-PAD-AND-ROTOR-SET-2001-2006-LS430-/231980399834?fits=Model%3ALS430&hash=item36031bfcda:g:1jAAAOSw-4BXYaEW&vxp=mtr

$300 rear, so that's already $550 in parts, plus you need two sensors which aftermarket can be $20, then the caliper bolts which may be another $40. So this is $610 in parts alone. Is $340 labor reasonable? It's not highway robbery...but I like $200 better myself. But this is with OEM parts except the 2 sensors. If $950 is aftermarket, all bets are off....ask the mechanic what parts they would use....if cheap parts, then go to Firestone and get it done for maybe $300 tops per axle, or $600. But I'd rather have OEM parts....last longer....

edit let's keep everyone honest...rear brakes somewhere else are $93 per disc,42431-50070, plus $52 for the pads 04466-50091. That's $238. Would they charge $62 to ship? I doubt it, maybe $30? So the eBay price is likely $30 high, but it would take some shopping to be sure. I do find when people "assemble" parts for you, there is a tendency to charge more, like with eBay timing belt "kits" that are assembled by the seller, as opposed to a real kit by Aisin....

Last edited by Johnhav430; 02-12-17 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-12-17, 02:19 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

$950 is pretty close to what a Lexus dealer would charge in my area. Maybe even less.

For an Independent shop that is sky high, but I'm sure in some parts of NY the cost is much greater.

It's about $300 in parts depending on what brands he uses for new aftermarket rotors and pads, and takes under 2 hours. Probably a lot closer to 1 hour of actual labor. So he's making at least $300+ an hour (maybe $600) on a very basic job.

I would also make sure all 4 actually need to be addressed, it's a pretty common tactic for shops to say all 4 need it when they really don't. Shops love brake work.
Old 02-13-17, 09:15 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Easy-peasy to change rotors and pads - plenty of YouTube videos attest to this.

I got a full set of both for around $200 at Amazon - Akebono Ultra-premium pads (ACT870 and ACT871), Bosch QuietCast dics (50011458 and 50011463).
Old 02-13-17, 09:20 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

look how cheap these are, they're even cross hatched like OEM....wonder if they would rust, they have a coating on the hat (my Raybestos on the Maxima rusted right through the black paint!)

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-13-17, 10:27 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Easy-peasy to change rotors and pads - plenty of YouTube videos attest to this.

I got a full set of both for around $200 at Amazon - Akebono Ultra-premium pads (ACT870 and ACT871), Bosch QuietCast dics (50011458 and 50011463).
Did the same thing here. Bought rotors/pads (Akebono) off eBay and spent a couple hours doing it myself.

However, if you are unable to complete this task on your own, you may want to continue to shop. 950 dollars seems high. The previous owner of my 2001 was selling the car needing brakes and he was quoted 1380.00 for a "complete brake job" from the Lexus dealership. That became a bargaining point when I bought the car.

950 is better than the dealership, but there's bound to be someone that could beat that. Are there Brake-O stores in New York?
Old 02-13-17, 03:37 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

After 7 years of ownership with my 2001 LS430 I have learned this about my brakes. I purchased my car with 98,000 miles with a terrible steering wheel shutter on braking along with a mushy brake pedal. I turned the rotors and replaced the pads with OEM pads at that time. For the last 7 years I continued to have a mushy pedal as well as the steering wheel shutter returning after a few years from the first brake replacement. . 6 months ago I replaced all rotors and pads with new OEM. My car has never stopped as well. Why did I wait so long? My car is a different car now with new OEM parts. A lesson learned for me. No shortcuts and replace rotors instead of turning. The LS430 doesn't do well with turning the rotors and has a tendency to warping.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 02-13-17 at 03:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (02-14-17)
Old 02-13-17, 07:03 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

$950 is very high considering aftermarket parts of near equivalent quality cost half as much as OEM, and that working on LS430 brakes is extremely easy, even for someone who has never done brakes before. LS430 brakes are so easy to work with, they might be the easiest brakes to service out of any car ever built.

You can have all new pads and rotors for $300 CAD if you go with high-end aftermarket and install yourself:
Akebono ProACT Ultra Premium pads, front and rear (ACT870 and ACT871) cost $100 CAD total
Raybestos Advanced Technology both rear rotors (980199) cost $111 CAD total.
OEM rotors cost more than twice as much as Raybestos Advanced Technology, and I bet that Lexus OEM rotors do not last more than twice as long.

If you get your rotors machined/turned/cut, only go to a shop with an on-car lathe (as opposed to off-car). I would say very few Lexus and Toyota dealerships have an on-car lathe AND the required expertise to operate it properly. An off-car lathe has a very low probability of correcting brake rotor shudder, so if you are going to machine the rotors at all, don't waste your time and money with an off-car lathe.

It is usually a much cheaper, easier, AND longer-lasting repair to just replace the rotors. Proper installation and bedding goes a long way in preventing brake pedal shudder. I don't change pads and rotors at the same time since I don't have any problems that necessitates changing both at once.

The ProACT pads are smooth and quiet, but sometimes too smooth and feels like they don't have enough "bite". They have more bite immediately after a car wash, but smooths out after a short amount of driving. Also, I have found that when the ProACT pads are cold and wet, and I am backing out of a driveway, the pads "chatter" loudly until they dry up. No noise whatsoever when reversing when they are dry and/or warm, and no noise whatsoever when forward braking under any condition.

I have not used OEM pads in many years so I don't recall if OEM pads behaved differently from the ProACTs, but I'm going to test OEMs on my next pad change just for fun.
Old 02-13-17, 07:41 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
After 7 years of ownership with my 2001 LS430 I have learned this about my brakes. I purchased my car with 98,000 miles with a terrible steering wheel shutter on braking along with a mushy brake pedal. I turned the rotors and replaced the pads with OEM pads at that time. For the last 7 years I continued to have a mushy pedal as well as the steering wheel shutter returning after a few years from the first brake replacement. . 6 months ago I replaced all rotors and pads with new OEM. My car has never stopped as well. Why did I wait so long? My car is a different car now with new OEM parts. A lesson learned for me. No shortcuts and replace rotors instead of turning. The LS430 doesn't do well with turning the rotors and has a tendency to warping.
I would agree with OEM as being the gold standard. Again, with my BMW, that's what I used. But it seems that it's more competitive with BMW parts, to even include free shipping on rotors. They're heavy when you're getting 4.

Anyway, I just read a long Centric thread started by an IS owner. The e coating sounds interesting, but at the end of the day, it seems they rust. Just like the premium Raybestos that I used on my Maxima. BMW rotors will not rust even after 9 years on the car. I have a feeling original Lexus/Toyota, and most other originals from any make, also will not rust. I've used many sets of ProActs on my Maxima and my wife's car. They're fine, but they're in no way performance pads, they're made for quiet. They are supposedly also the OEM mfg. My first time doing the rears maybe 2 yrs. from now, I'll likely go all OEM except for the sensor wire, as the fronts are OEM. My .02..
Bocatrip (02-14-17)
Old 02-13-17, 09:33 PM
LS430Onyx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get most all my parts from Autohausaz. No tax, free shipping, and bring to your indie. Check out the cost of front and rear pads......
Bocatrip (02-14-17)
Old 02-14-17, 07:31 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I would agree with OEM as being the gold standard. Again, with my BMW, that's what I used. But it seems that it's more competitive with BMW parts, to even include free shipping on rotors. They're heavy when you're getting 4.

Anyway, I just read a long Centric thread started by an IS owner. The e coating sounds interesting, but at the end of the day, it seems they rust. Just like the premium Raybestos that I used on my Maxima. BMW rotors will not rust even after 9 years on the car. I have a feeling original Lexus/Toyota, and most other originals from any make, also will not rust. I've used many sets of ProActs on my Maxima and my wife's car. They're fine, but they're in no way performance pads, they're made for quiet. They are supposedly also the OEM mfg. My first time doing the rears maybe 2 yrs. from now, I'll likely go all OEM except for the sensor wire, as the fronts are OEM. My .02..
Correct about no rust on OEM rotors. When replacing my OEM rotors a few months ago there was no rust on my OEM rotors. Also, I have never replaced any brake sensor since owning my car.
wnyjazz (12-19-23)
Old 02-14-17, 07:32 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LS430Onyx
I get most all my parts from Autohausaz. No tax, free shipping, and bring to your indie. Check out the cost of front and rear pads......
Got my OEM rotors and pads from same place. Best price I could find.
Old 02-14-17, 07:55 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My OEM rotors have not rusted in 14 years, but I do live in California. I've changed pads once (OEM) but didn't change the rotors or the sensors as they were fine. Car brakes as well as it did when I bought it new.
Old 02-14-17, 07:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Did you guys get Brembos from autohaus? I don't see OEM on their website....used to get Maxima parts from them once in a while...if Brembos I see them cheaper on ebay, but autohaus has a 2 yr. warranty for what that's worth (not sure on brakes)....I once tried to find out who makes rotors for Toyota, and was told, "Mountain." I think on this one I will stick with Toyota/Lexus on the box, if I see rust on the hats, I'll just go berserk!!
Old 02-14-17, 08:41 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Got my OEM rotors and pads from same place. Best price I could find.
I apologize.....With all the parts I have purchased for my car, I do get mixed up with which vendors I purchased what. I believe I used Autohause to purchase my Koyo wheel bearing hub. As far as all my rotors and pads, I believe I went on ebay and ended up getting them from a Lexus dealer from that site. Whichever one was the best price at that time. Can't recall any dealership names. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Brakes & Rotors Cost