LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

joined the timing belt club at ~ 87k

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-17, 11:00 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

I hope this isnt a duplicate post, but I posted this about an hour ago and it has never appeared on the list. so here goes again..

The consensuses is that the dealer charges about $1400 to replace the timing belt. Does this usually niclude the water pump and the idler and bearings or is that an additional charge....and likely how much?
Old 04-23-17, 12:52 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
I hope this isnt a duplicate post, but I posted this about an hour ago and it has never appeared on the list. so here goes again..

The consensuses is that the dealer charges about $1400 to replace the timing belt. Does this usually niclude the water pump and the idler and bearings or is that an additional charge....and likely how much?
Jim, are we talking about the dealer performing the service or an independent? Your car only has 51k on it (or thereabout), I'd just replace the timing belt and leave the rest alone. All of the bearings on the tensioners and idlers are going to be just fine. As far as the water pump, I'd leave that alone also unless it showed signs of seepage once you open up the engine.

As far as price, just go out and get a couple of quotes from shops in your area. It's the only way to really find out what its going to cost you...
The following users liked this post:
jimisbell (04-23-17)
Old 04-23-17, 01:58 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Is there a chance that the motor truly is not as noisy as it was?

Also, with the credit card dispute, my wife's experience has been that the merchant still holds the cards....she did it against one of those mall kiosks a few holidays ago. She called the 800#, to send gifts to her bffs (like 9 of them), and rather than send 1x9 gifts, they shipped 3x9=27 gifts. This order was done by a human, not the web. So as soon as she disputed, the charges were removed. Then they were put back on 14 days later as merchant said they were valid and that the recipients should have returned 2x9 orders if my wife only ordered 1 each. HUH? Not only that, Chase flagged her as having disputed a legit charge. WTF? Who solved it? BBB--they were accredited and once the case opened they stated their error--then the charges were credited in about 4 days. Chase never removed that flag and today if she applies for a Chase amazon card etc., she is rejected (her fico is over 830 experian). Just our experience with that dispute method, seems to leave the power in the merchants' hands as the cc states you must try to resolve with them....

good luck hopefully the noise is not there, you get your money back, and that's simply the end of it!
Noise is still there. Went out not long ago and confirmed it. Chase told me that I needed to get documentation from the dealer stating they couldn't fix the problem. They are supposed to either email or send me some forms to fill out in order to complete the dispute.
Old 04-23-17, 02:49 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Jim...when I had my timing belt done at the dealer they said the 90,000 mile service starts at $1100, and the water pump adds $350. also changed the differential fluid ($75) and my total was $1,550. I would not go by the years instead of miles if I were you and just drive it until you get to 90,000 miles. belt looked like new, but they said water pump was beginning to leak. if your pump starts to leak have the belt done when you replace it.
The following users liked this post:
jimisbell (04-23-17)
Old 04-23-17, 03:52 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Legend
Noise is still there. Went out not long ago and confirmed it. Chase told me that I needed to get documentation from the dealer stating they couldn't fix the problem. They are supposed to either email or send me some forms to fill out in order to complete the dispute.
Shoot, so you have Chase....

Is the noise something really obvious? Can you realistically drive with it and forget about it, being unfortunate that it isn't perfect, but may not harm anything?
Old 04-23-17, 04:52 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
Jim...when I had my timing belt done at the dealer they said the 90,000 mile service starts at $1100, and the water pump adds $350. also changed the differential fluid ($75) and my total was $1,550. I would not go by the years instead of miles if I were you and just drive it until you get to 90,000 miles. belt looked like new, but they said water pump was beginning to leak. if your pump starts to leak have the belt done when you replace it.
Where do I look for signs the pump is leaking, or do I just watch fo water loss at the overflow tank? I had just about decided to just wait because even if I have a disastrous failure, a used engine can be had for less than the cost of replacing the belt....
Gronemus
Yes, dealer replace. I looked at the procedure and decided it was a dealer thing. When I got to "remove the alternator" I sensed that five hours in the south Texas sun in 80% humidity was worth $1400/ I will sit next door and sip a Margarita or two for five hours.....and maybe have them drive me home.........LOL

Last edited by jimisbell; 04-23-17 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-23-17, 06:24 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
I would not go by the years instead of miles if I were you and just drive it until you get to 90,000 miles.
I had just about decided to just wait because even if I have a disastrous failure, a used engine can be had for less than the cost of replacing the belt....
Jim, if I were in your shoes I wouldn't even bother to change the belt until you hit 90K. But then again, don't you have a number of cars that you drive? When do you think you might actually get to 90K on the LS?

Either way, enjoy the margarita!!!
Old 04-23-17, 08:22 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Jim, if I were in your shoes I wouldn't even bother to change the belt until you hit 90K. But then again, don't you have a number of cars that you drive? When do you think you might actually get to 90K on the LS?

Either way, enjoy the margarita!!!
Hopefully, if I get the TC sold I will be using three cars but the LS will be doing all the long distance stuff.. 20k a year among the three.about 7K each annually.
Old 05-04-17, 02:47 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

OK, I found a garage that will do the timing belt replacement very reasonably so I will do it.

Has anyone done business with Toyex Bimmer in Spring Texas? The price is good and the mechanic sounds knowledgeable, and they have been around for over 10 years. Any comments either Pro or Con?.
Old 05-22-17, 12:20 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

For unknown reasons, I decided to go to the shop that charged the most. Just a gut feeling. The total was $1498.18 for timing belt replace, serpentine belt replace, water pump replace, cam and crank seals (really?) changed oil, oil filter, and wash job. Seems to ride better......
Old 05-24-17, 02:47 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

For unknown reasons, I decided to go to the shop that charged the most. Just a gut feeling. The total was $1498.18 for timing belt replace, serpentine belt replace, water pump replace, cam and crank seals (really?) changed oil, oil filter, and wash job. Seems to ride better......
Are you sure they changed the Cam seals? That's not part of the TB job and they would of had to remove the camshafts to change those seals.
Old 05-24-17, 03:52 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by sha4000
Are you sure they changed the Cam seals? That's not part of the TB job and they would of had to remove the camshafts to change those seals.
After your comments above I checked the receipt. It definitely says both crank and cam seals. But in the parts list it does not mention the cam seals. So I called them and asked. They confirmed that they used the standard verbiage that is used on MOST of their belt replacements, but that it was incorrect for the LS-430, and no, they did not change the cam seals but yes they did replace the crank seal. Thanks for giving me the heads up. When I called them I just asked them if it was true and didnt tell them I didnt think it was, so I let them come to their own conclusion without my help. So I think its an honest answer.
Old 05-24-17, 04:13 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

...they did not change the cam seals but yes they did replace the crank seal.
I'm a bit skeptical that they actually replaced the crank seals. To replace the front crank seal involves removing the timing belt sprocket (or whatever it's called). The back crank seals requires removal of the transmission.
Old 05-24-17, 04:25 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by rkw77080
I'm a bit skeptical that they actually replaced the crank seals. To replace the front crank seal involves removing the timing belt sprocket (or whatever it's called). The back crank seals requires removal of the transmission.
Me too, that is why I asked "really?" in the original post. But what he said made sense since he said the water pump had begun to leak. wish I had asked for the old parts, but I was having a bad day and just wanted my car back. Cest La Vie.