Tinting the front windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 09:38 AM
jsnlwrnc87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinting the front windshield

Hey fellow Lexus LS owners!
I am going to get my windows tinted within the next couple of weeks and was wondering if the tinted strip can be added to the windshield without it interfering with the auto wipers? Has anyone had it done?
Old 01-23-17, 10:09 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got it done, I did the full windscreen in transparent film as the UAE is really a hot place. The they won't around the rain sensor. No issues. Can't post a pic as mine is transparent you can't really till there is any thing on the windscreen.
Old 01-23-17, 11:49 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I did 35% on my entire windshield and a huge 5% strip up top with no problems. The auto wipers work just fine.
Old 01-26-17, 10:48 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm literally sitting at the tint shop waiting for my entire windshield to settle so I can drive off and enjoy the nice blue vision. All windows are now covered with llumar Air Blue80 ceramic film.

Old 01-26-17, 11:32 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Let us know how it goes, I had mine tinted but it was a different brand (but made for windshields) and I hated it. It cut down on the heat a bit, but the clarity really bothered in certain parts of the day.
Old 01-26-17, 01:15 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Coulter
Let us know how it goes, I had mine tinted but it was a different brand (but made for windshields) and I hated it. It cut down on the heat a bit, but the clarity really bothered in certain parts of the day.
i can second this. I have the windshield tinted on my corvette and the clarity at certain conditions was terrible.
Old 01-26-17, 03:31 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

in California tint is allowed on the top 4 inches or has that been repealed? and where is that awesome grill you bought Mike?
Old 01-26-17, 03:39 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

The type and quality of the film you use is the most important factor when it comes to tinting the windshield. Please share what you two used. Prior to doing mine I got positive feedback from the members I reached out to who have this same ceramic film on or have had it. Either way I will update with feedback later. The one downside I know for any film on the windshield is a chip that could have been sealed will no longer be able to. It's goingto require a replacement. My deductible is only $50 but it would be a loss on the money spent on it.
Old 01-27-17, 02:55 AM
Dockof-bay
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
I'm literally sitting at the tint shop waiting for my entire windshield to settle so I can drive off and enjoy the nice blue vision. All windows are now covered with llumar Air Blue80 ceramic film.
Car and tint look great. I'm looking to get this tint done. I live in Sac and wonder if you could share your tint installer. Did you get a special club lexus discount
Old 01-27-17, 06:11 AM
jackies
Rookie

Mike, please share your thoughts on visibility, especially in dark/rainy conditions with Air Blue80 ceramic film on the windshield.
Old 01-27-17, 06:50 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dockof-bay
Car and tint look great. I'm looking to get this tint done. I live in Sac and wonder if you could share your tint installer. Did you get a special club lexus discount
Thanks... you are in luck there are only a few tint installers who are authorized by Llumar to use their products. SAC has one of them. Rocky Mountain Window Tinting in Pleasanton is where I went but they have another shop in Sacramento maybe 5 minutes from the Lexus dealership. Might as well call ahead of time both shops have about a month waiting list.

Originally Posted by jackies
Mike, please share your thoughts on visibility, especially in dark/rainy conditions with Air Blue80 ceramic film on the windshield.
I will for sure... what the other two guys said was a valid concern for me as well but after reaching out to a few members i narrowed the experience down to dyed films being the problem not ceramic and then the quality. We'll see soon enough.

To OP... get the strip if you want the strip you'll be fine up top.
The following users liked this post:
Dockof-bay (01-27-17)
Old 01-27-17, 10:39 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Mikefoxx, that Blue tint does look very nice. Seems light enough that the Po-Po would not be bothered with it..
Old 01-28-17, 03:54 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

do the outside of the window to if you dont like rock chips and a pitted window
Old 01-30-17, 01:54 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Since tinting the entire windshield I've driving in just about every condition. As mentioned I'd follow up with feedback. There have zero issues, differences, changes, etc. with respect to a less desirable driving experience. No glares as mentioned in other threads, no odd spots, no headlight/brake light nuisances.

Conditions driven in since 01/26:
Dawn, high noon, dusk, night, full sun, partially cloudy, light rain, and dense fog.

Window film is: Llumar Air Blue80 ceramic film

Recommend: Yes all the way around. Ceramic over dyed film always. No other brand experience with ceramic films I stick to Llumar.

I've been side by side with sheriffs and police they don't seem bothered. I've passed them in oncoming traffic doesn't get a second look. It's light enough to just look like a high end glass. The only other thing I keep seeing is an increase in head turning ^_^ you can't help but notice it stands out in a sea of limo tint and clear glass.

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 01-30-17 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-30-17, 01:59 PM
jsnlwrnc87
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
My Lexus looks just like yours in this picture! How'd the tint turn out?

Quick Reply: Tinting the front windshield