LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I can't tell if my pwr steering fluid is low--making noise

Old 01-09-17, 08:31 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts
Default I can't tell if my pwr steering fluid is low--making noise

I know this sounds crazy but I can't tell if it's low or not. Car (PS pump) is making horrible, dying noise upon startup when it gets super cold out, mostly goes away when warms up but still slightly there. The container looks full enough from the outside, but fluid doesn't wiggle around if I move reservoir, almost like that's the mark where fluid should be but is low. I look inside reservoir and see *some* fluid but I can't tell if it's enough. Pretty sure the dipstick thingy of the lid barely touches much, if any at all, of the fluid when screwed on. I plan to just stop by an autozone before I go to the dealer and see if they can tell. Is this something they could take care of if it's just low? They have the right stuff? These guys are so helpful if not all-knowing.

If not I assume my P/S pump is going, anyone had that done and what was the cost? Probably will take it to Toyota or find a good indy assuming they exist in Knoxville.

I need to get it checked asap, it sounds horrendous. Very unbecoming of an LS430.

Anyone have any germane info?

Thanks,

Austin

Last edited by AJT123; 01-09-17 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-09-17, 08:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Is it a belt-driven pump? The fan belt may be getting worn and/or glazed over....especially on a vehicle that age. Worn fan belts can cause various types of noises....typically worse when cold.
Old 01-09-17, 08:47 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Is it a belt-driven pump? The fan belt may be getting worn and/or glazed over....especially on a vehicle that age. Worn fan belts can cause various types of noises....typically worse when cold.
I'm 99.999% certain its the P/S pump which is belt driven. Drive belt is relatively new. It's just that classic P/S whine which is badly exacerbated when you turn the wheel. It's just started occurring when it gets super cold, never heard a noise like this before.
Old 01-10-17, 06:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I'm 99.999% certain its the P/S pump which is belt driven. Drive belt is relatively new. It's just that classic P/S whine which is badly exacerbated when you turn the wheel. It's just started occurring when it gets super cold, never heard a noise like this before.
Again I've only had my LS since Oct. and don't have any strange noises knock on wood, but I lived something similar on my Maxima for over 6 years, and the symptom reared its head only when cold, and the fluid was never low never needed to be topped off...good luck...
Old 01-11-17, 03:46 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ur oil level is low. Top up asap. The reservoir is dirty that is why it looks full from outside. The dip stic in the cap have markings for hot and cold level. Fill up to the cold nark if oil is cold and to the hot mark if oil is hot.
If you ignor t the pump will fail.
Old 01-11-17, 06:55 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Could be the idler pulley and/or the tensioner pulley. When the bearings on those pulleys wear out, they whine on startup, especially in colder temps.
Old 01-11-17, 07:12 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

The container looks full enough from the outside, but fluid doesn't wiggle around if I move reservoir, almost like that's the mark where fluid should be but is low. I look inside reservoir and see *some* fluid but I can't tell if it's enough. Pretty sure the dipstick thingy of the lid barely touches much, if any at all, of the fluid when screwed on.
Sorry to your LS is not behaving as an LS should! However, try the most obvious/simple fix first. I think you're on it when you measured barely any PS fluid. I believe our PS units simply take DEXTRON ATF. I think it's even printed on the cap of the reservoir too.

If you feel like doing some personal tinkering, get a turkey baster and extract as much of the old, dirty, brown, nasty, stinky, used up fluid as possible, and refill with some fresh, new, clean, uncontaminated ATF! Be careful though, because I remember reading another thread where someone might have poked a hole through some sort of cap or plastic separator inside the reservoir.

If you don't feel like tinkering, then you need to at least fill it to the proper level, and then see if your symptom disappears.

I'm sure most of us have the brown coating on the inside of the reservoir making it more difficult to view the actual level of the fluid.

A way to eliminate the possibility of bad bearings in a pulley or tensioner as another poster mentioned, is LIGHTLY mist (1-2 pumps) of water onto 1 pulley or tensioner at a time. If noise alters/changes pitch/goes away/etc, then you're really close to figuring it out.
Old 01-11-17, 08:40 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

The reservoirs become sort of stained over time making it hard to see, but I've noticed if you "tap" the plastic reservoirs repeatedly you can better get an idea where the power steering level is by seeing the fluid moving from the vibration. Also put a powerful light on it or do it outside during the day.

If you think it may be dry, you're better off putting some fluid in there even if you overfill it. Fill it past the level where it's stained so you can be sure. You can easily remove some with a simply baster type application. Dexron is available at like every auto parts store on Earth and places like WalMart.

Could be completely unrelated, but the other Lexus in our household also gets noisy power steering when we take it to really cold weather when you first start it up.
Old 01-11-17, 12:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tom57
Could be the idler pulley and/or the tensioner pulley. When the bearings on those pulleys wear out, they whine on startup, especially in colder temps.
Idler and tensioner were replaced with the timing belt about 25k ago.
Old 01-11-17, 01:07 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

Idler and tensioner were replaced with the timing belt about 25k ago.
wow, you changed your (v-belt) acc idler and acc tensioner when you did your timing belt,impressive
dont know anyone that did that.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 01-11-17 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-11-17, 06:10 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
wow, you changed your (v-belt) acc idler and acc tensioner when you did your timing belt,impressive
dont know anyone that did that.
I changed my drive belt, and it said on the timing belt invoice replaced idler pulley and tensioner....So is there an additional idler and tensioner for the drive belt? Not sure about that one if so.

I did add fluid and deduced it was definitely low. No noises since but it hasn't been cold, so the jury's still out.
Old 01-11-17, 07:28 PM
hippchip
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fixman
Ur oil level is low. Top up asap. The reservoir is dirty that is why it looks full from outside. The dip stic in the cap have markings for hot and cold level. Fill up to the cold nark if oil is cold and to the hot mark if oil is hot.
If you ignor t the pump will fail.
Agree, mine had a stain on the resevoir.
Old 01-11-17, 07:32 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

I changed my drive belt, and it said on the timing belt invoice replaced idler pulley and tensioner....So is there an additional idler and tensioner for the drive belt? Not sure about that one if so.

I did add fluid and deduced it was definitely low. No noises since but it hasn't been cold, so the jury's still out.
yes,the drive belt has its own idler and tensioner and either one of those can make a noise when the bearing goes bad.
my money is on you tensioner pulley.if so it will get louder as time goes on.there are threads on this.
good luck.
if your fluid was low that could also be the problem.
Old 01-11-17, 09:54 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
yes,the drive belt has its own idler and tensioner and either one of those can make a noise when the bearing goes bad.
my money is on you tensioner pulley.if so it will get louder as time goes on.there are threads on this.
good luck.
if your fluid was low that could also be the problem.
Yeah but why would it noticeably groan worse when I steer if it's not the pump? It "sounds" like it's the PS.

In any case fluid was low and I added some. It seems normal now, no noises, but it hasn't been super cold outside again.
Old 01-12-17, 04:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

What would cause low fluid, besides a leak.....unlike coolant where it could evaporate over time.....oil can be consumed (although knock on wood mine doesn't at this point)....on BMW 3's, the gasket on the reservoir does get replaced as fluid will seep out over time and the cap is covered with grime, very cheap fix.....use a pick to remove, and replace....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I can't tell if my pwr steering fluid is low--making noise