LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What is best replacement for LS 430

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 04:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Ok, so my $12k figure might be a couple g's low..lol.

Here's a base model 2006 asking $15k.... https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...-ls-430/07446/

Here's a Modern Luxury model 2004 asking $16k.... https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...-ls-430/20152/

Here's a ? model 2005 asking $21k! (use the VIN decoder if you want).... https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...-ls-430/20166/
I'm starting to feel like these asking prices on the LS430 are way high, are like asking $4k on a 1997 Maxima (I did look to see what a used one might go for, and there doesn't seem to be a $900 car etc. -- yet the most car buyers want to give me is $150 for mine lol). DA** it's so easy to get a 2006 Audi A8 with under 80k for $12k to $14k, and this car base priced at 15k more than a comparable LS. Folks are likely scared to buy such cars, and likely with good reason!

Again, I paid $14,700. The real food for thought is that can buy a 2014 (not 2014.5) Camry CPO, with about 37k, for the same amount. Which would be the wiser purchase......
Old 12-19-16, 07:30 AM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope no-one minds... I posted the question in the 460 Forum with a link to this thread... This thread is perfect timing for me... My 01 has 230K and is getting a little dated for may taste, however, it's still rock solid.... Starting to look for the next one and have the same questions....
Old 12-19-16, 10:39 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zapola6
I hope no-one minds... I posted the question in the 460 Forum with a link to this thread... This thread is perfect timing for me... My 01 has 230K and is getting a little dated for may taste, however, it's still rock solid.... Starting to look for the next one and have the same questions....
Agreed! I'm at the same crossroad and feel that it's time to move on from my '02 but nothing out there makes me smile like these cars.
Have listed my '02 and am sniffing around the Audi A4 with the Premium Plus pkg. A much smaller vehicle of course and more performance oriented. Having been spoiled by the 430's reliability, going to an Audi seems to be counter productive but everything I've read on the owner forums indicates that Audi finally got its act together in the '13/'14 cars and is much more dependable and less expensive to operate.
A real dilemma.
Old 12-19-16, 11:09 AM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zapola6

The link to the tread in the 460 Forum... Interesting thoughts over there

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...r-a-430-a.html
Old 12-19-16, 03:02 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Does the new 'mouse' interface on the nav permit you to manipulate/input nav data while the vehicle is in motion? Of course it must permit climate/audio/etc, but curious if it lets you input nav data?
A lot of the data input screens are locked when the car is moving. I do not drive it very often so not sure if any of these are available using the voice commands.... I don't think so but maybe better asked on the 460 forum.

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Duck, what are the differences that make you prefer the 430 over the 460 that's more than a decade newer? I really like our 430 but am already thinking of replacing it with a 460L after just eight months of ownership. I guess, deep down, I always really wanted the LWB and updated styling (inside and out) of the '07-'12. The few '07 and '08 models I test drove at the time all rode horribly -- very stiff and bumpy, which basically drove me towards an '06 430. In hindsight, and having learned more from this community, those 460s I test drove probably all needed LCAs replaced. There is no way a normal LS should ride as rough as those examples did.
For me it is several factors as to the ride and acceleration characteristics and the 460 being longer and heavier. The 460 has the 8 speed transmission and while shifts are pretty imperceptible it is different from the 430. Our 460 is a barely broken in '14 so the ride itself is very stable but still different than our '01 430 (still on the original struts, too). I would definitely test drive a recent ('13+) 460 and judge for yourself.
Old 12-20-16, 02:11 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

2006 LS430 with saddle interior is probably the best replacement to your car. There are a bunch of other things with 4 wheels too but you asked for the best replacement.

15k and use the other 40k for a used 2013 lifted crew cab 4x4 a couple guns one round trip flight to Vegas some dead stock sneakers and 2 tanks of gas funk it.

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 12-20-16 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-20-16, 08:27 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

2011 and up 460. 2013 was a good year.

I want a 13 or 14 myself.
Attached Thumbnails What is best replacement for LS 430-lexus-cr-again.jpeg  
Old 12-20-16, 09:36 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I'm starting to feel like these asking prices on the LS430 are way high, are like asking $4k on a 1997 Maxima (I did look to see what a used one might go for, and there doesn't seem to be a $900 car etc. -- yet the most car buyers want to give me is $150 for mine lol). DA** it's so easy to get a 2006 Audi A8 with under 80k for $12k to $14k, and this car base priced at 15k more than a comparable LS. Folks are likely scared to buy such cars, and likely with good reason!

Again, I paid $14,700. The real food for thought is that can buy a 2014 (not 2014.5) Camry CPO, with about 37k, for the same amount. Which would be the wiser purchase......
These are popular cars out here. A good 04-06 (ML or up) seem to be in the 12-14 range from a Lex or higher end dealer. Higher mileage (around 100) but CA miles. Not many private sales because selling a 10-12 year old car (unless low price) is a project. Maybe why people (around here anyway) seem to trade the nice ones in. Check the ad for the 06 Base. Didn't know there was an AWD option! The real bargains are the 01-03's. A clean well maintained car (reasonably mileage, most models) is 7-8. More private sales.
Old 12-20-16, 09:56 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
These are popular cars out here. A good 04-06 (ML or up) seem to be in the 12-14 range from a Lex or higher end dealer. Higher mileage (around 100) but CA miles. Not many private sales because selling a 10-12 year old car (unless low price) is a project. Maybe why people (around here anyway) seem to trade the nice ones in. Check the ad for the 06 Base. Didn't know there was an AWD option! The real bargains are the 01-03's. A clean well maintained car (reasonably mileage, most models) is 7-8. More private sales.
If I find a prime 07 or 08 soon, I'll try to private-sale our 06 430 ML, tallca. 61k miles, new Pirelli P7+ tires, new TB/WP, new sparkplugs, surprisingly wrinkle free leather. Everything working except for driver's side mirror. Hoping to get $16k, if possible. My Dad says he may take it off our hands though since we haven't been able to find an 06 for him that is anywhere near the condition of ours.

*On a separate note, I test drove an '11 and loved it but the driver's seat leather exhibited so many cracks and wrinkles. Our 06 leather really put it to shame. What causes all that cracking and wrinkling on a five year old car? I thought the glass has a UV coating to protect the interior from sun damage. I realize dry leather tends to crack and wrinkle and not every owner applies conditioner to their leather. Is wrinkle-free, crack-free leather an indicator that a car has been mostly garaged? Or maybe some drivers are more heavy-set than others.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 12-20-16 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-20-16, 11:05 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

If I find a prime 07 or 08 soon, I'll try to private-sale our 06 430 ML, tallca. 61k miles, new Pirelli P7+ tires, new TB/WP, new sparkplugs, surprisingly wrinkle free leather. Everything working except for driver's side mirror. Hoping to get $16k, if possible. My Dad says he may take it off our hands though since we haven't been able to find an 06 for him that is anywhere near the condition of ours.

*On a separate note, I test drove an '11 and loved it but the driver's seat leather exhibited so many cracks and wrinkles. Our 06 leather really put it to shame. What causes all that cracking and wrinkling on a five year old car? I thought the glass has a UV coating to protect the interior from sun damage. I realize dry leather tends to crack and wrinkle and not every owner applies conditioner to their leather. Is wrinkle-free, crack-free leather an indicator that a car has been mostly garaged? Or maybe some drivers are more heavy-set than others.
I'd like to take a look at it. PM please when you get a chance. Any problems w/ the transmission? Just kidding . Recommend window tint for UV protect and noticeably lower interior temperatures. Good luck for 460 search. Yes LOR. No LOS
Old 12-20-16, 11:21 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

I'd like to take a look at it. PM please when you get a chance. Any problems w/ the transmission? Just kidding . Recommend window tint for UV protect and noticeably lower interior temperatures. Good luck for 460 search. Yes LOR. No LOS
Good one on the transmission, tallca. After my indie redrained and refilled it again, to fix what LOR did, the tyranny has returned to the same shift quality as when we bought it last April. I still want smoother but am not going to try to fix what ain't broken. Will definitely let you know when I put it up for sale. I can't sell it until after we purchase the 460L since I need a car for work. We don't need to trade-in the 430 to buy the 460 so not to worry, a dealer won't be getting the 430 (at least not from us).
Old 12-20-16, 11:33 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Good one on the transmission, tallca. After my indie redrained and refilled it again, to fix what LOR did, the tyranny has returned to the same shift quality as when we bought it last April. I still want smoother but am not going to try to fix what ain't broken. Will definitely let you know when I put it up for sale. I can't sell it until after we purchase the 460L since I need a car for work. We don't need to trade-in the 430 to buy the 460 so not to worry, a dealer won't be getting the 430 (at least not from us).
Glad the trans is good. Surprised on LOR but no one's perfect. I'd like to keep in touch on your car. I always private sale my cars. Dealer trade is easy, saves time and always costs thousands of dollars. I sold my 01 for 2k more than the dealer offered me. Easy to do and took very little actual time.
Old 12-20-16, 11:39 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Glad the trans is good. Surprised on LOR but no one's perfect. I'd like to keep in touch on your car. I always private sale my cars. Dealer trade is easy, saves time and always costs thousands of dollars. I sold my 01 for 2k more than the dealer offered me. Easy to do and took very little actual time.
I hear ya, buddy. Carmax offered us $5k on our 2002 Sequoia so we sold it for $9k privately.
Old 12-20-16, 12:47 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Again I'm always fascinated by the details...the 460's trunk is small compared to the 430. Sure maybe it doesn't matter, but in a way a small trunk takes away from the "grand" stature/theme. I also note that many cars incl BMW have cheaped out and have space robbing arms that handle the trunk lid. I didn't throw away the original struts, Tokico for the hood, KYB for the trunk. The monroe replacements pale in comparison!
Old 12-20-16, 01:44 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Again I'm always fascinated by the details...the 460's trunk is small compared to the 430. Sure maybe it doesn't matter, but in a way a small trunk takes away from the "grand" stature/theme. I also note that many cars incl BMW have cheaped out and have space robbing arms that handle the trunk lid. I didn't throw away the original struts, Tokico for the hood, KYB for the trunk. The monroe replacements pale in comparison!
John, I was VERY concerned about the 460 trunk space. I went to test drive an 08 just now and was able to fit our BOB jogging stroller into the back, the same way I would store it in the 430. Although the 430's inner cavity is slightly wider, all I need is for the stroller to fit. The 430 still gives an extra inch between the stroller and the edge of the trunk. Overall, I now find the 460 trunk acceptable for our needs, and this 08 even had the reclining rear seats that supposedly eat up trunk space (albeit not as badly as the rear AC unit). I'll start a different thread about my 460L search as not to hijack this thread.

Quick Reply: What is best replacement for LS 430