LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

147k miles on a timing belt

Old 12-13-16, 11:57 AM
wordwrkr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 147k miles on a timing belt

Well, I just heard from the shop. They're in the middle of the timing belt replacement on my '05 LS430, and the shop foreman said they could find absolutely no indication that the timing belt had been serviced, which matches what the local Lexus dealer said after a record check, and directly opposite what the user car guy I bought the car from said (who swore it had been replaced at 130K).

147k on the original timing belt. Another bullet dodged. Either that, or this whole timing belt thing is just a way for repair centers to scare folks into spending money. I'd sure hate to find out the hard way what happens when a timing belt fails. 'Interference" doesn't begin to adequately describe what happens when piston meets valve.

My question is, has ANYONE on this forum EVER heard of a timing belt failing on a Lexus?

UPDATE: Picked up my car last night from the shop. It now has a new timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, thermostat, etc., to the tune of $1146. Only one disturbing aspect of all this: It didn't need a new timing belt. The old one looked as though it had been on the car for less than 10,000 miles. Even the mechanic commented on its condition.

The problem is that there was no documentation or any indication that it had been changed; and, at $147k miles on the car (which I just purchased), I couldn't really take the chance that it HADN'T been replaced. Whoever replaced it didn't put any sticker on the housing or make any indication of the fact that it had been replaced. Even the local Lexus dealer couldn't find any record in their system or any other indication that it had been replaced.

So I just spent almost $1200 for a repair that was totally unnecessary -- all because someone didn't bother to apply a sticker to a housing.

When I get a minute, I'll post a photo of the belt. It is, in a word, pristine. Absolutely no cracks, no fraying. It's even still shiny as though it just came out of the box.

The only solace is that now I KNOW it has been replaced, and the repair has been duly noted in the official records of the car.

Last edited by wordwrkr; 12-14-16 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-13-16, 12:37 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

I read of only one timing belt failure ... the member said he was at the shop to have the timing belt done, went to start the car to pull it into the bay and then, snap, slam, bang.
Old 12-13-16, 12:40 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by wordwrkr
Well, I just heard from the shop. They're in the middle of the timing belt replacement on my '05 LS430, and the shop foreman said they could find absolutely no indication that the timing belt had been serviced, which matches what the local Lexus dealer said after a record check, and directly opposite what the user car guy I bought the car from said (who swore it had been replaced at 130K).

147k on the original timing belt. Another bullet dodged. Either that, or this whole timing belt thing is just a way for repair centers to scare folks into spending money. I'd sure hate to find out the hard way what happens when a timing belt fails. 'Interference" doesn't begin to adequately describe what happens when piston meets valve.

My question is, has ANYONE on this forum EVER heard of a timing belt failing on a Lexus?
. I believe I started a thread years ago with that very question being part of the subject. Pretty sure there were very very few with timing belt failure.
Old 12-13-16, 12:50 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by wordwrkr

No but 430 owners generally maintain their cars pretty well. Who wants to take the chance? How much is a used engine? 3k + labor? You don't know the condition. I bought my 1st 430 w/ 89.8k miles. Now I know the guy didn't want to do the TB.

They do last. I met a lady that has almost 200k on TB in her 400. Said her husband told her the belt had been changed years ago. Turns out he meant the serpentine belt
Old 12-13-16, 07:33 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My boss at the last dealership i worked for has a 2002 LS430 with 215k miles on the original timing belt. His wife bought the car new. He does not maintain the car and it is purely his beater and besides some suspension noise it starts and sounds like new.
Old 12-13-16, 07:42 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

The timing belt on my first LS400 - a 1990 - was trashed when the water pump failed at about 75,000 miles. Toyota/Lexus timing belts almost never break due to wear. It's something else that fails and takes the timing belt with it - idler, water pump, tensioner. I've had numerous timing belts replaced on Toyota/Lexus vehicles and I've always had all the ancillary parts I mentioned replaced at the same time. Other than the one that "failed" on my 1990 LS400, all the other Toyota/Lexus timing belts I've had replaced looked like new after 90,000 miles - no visible cracking or wear at all.
Old 12-13-16, 07:47 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I never did anything with my Maxima except oil, brakes, tires for a very long time. It made me feel good to say that I had only spend like $1400 to repair (cv axles, evap, etc.) the car by year 12. So wanting to say that, I avoided any of the "scare" types of repairs. So looking back, in 18.5 yrs, water pump, timing chains, alternator, all original. I never had that fear of better fix it before it blows up. But I get it, it has chains and zero documented cases of chains breaking. Guides getting noisy yes. Surely a 04-06 LS is built way better than a 95-99 Maxima.

I plan on doing the belt on the LS next year at 11.5-12 y.o. and 90k, but I'm pretty sure it's not needed. I think it's been said, that if the true failure were 90k, Toyota would not be recommending it at 90k. Someone stated it's really 180k. But now the dealer says it's time, which may, or may not, be true.
Old 12-16-16, 05:19 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I almost bought a LS430 UL with a broken timing belt for cheap a year ago but decided to back out as I didn't want to put up with the headache. The timing belt does break so don't push your luck. The life of the timing belt is determined by other components as well not just the belt itself.
Old 12-17-16, 06:10 PM
chuck58
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hyperopt, I read your post. You said "..The life of the timing belt is determined by other components as well not just the belt itself..." just looking for understanding. What other factors? I just purchased an '06 LS-430, really clean, and only 36K miles, but it IS a 10-year old car. I am concerned about the TB, but only because it is a 10 year old car. Your thoughts?
Old 12-17-16, 06:36 PM
Lzam
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile timing belt

Do yourself a favor and protect your investment and have the timing belt kit done?
Old 12-17-16, 06:50 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

The timing belt spins the water pump and rides on 2 idler pulleys. The water pump can leak in which case the timing belt must be removed and should be replaced. Each of the idlers has a bearing that can fail. If they are just noisy they can be replaced by if they seize they will break the belt and your valves. The cam seals can leak oil onto the belt which would also require its replacement after the cam seals are replaced.

At your cars age and mileage the only scenario I would be concerned with is a possible water pump leak. The likelihood is still pretty low. If you are concerned you can get all new oem parts (timing belt, 2 idlers, tensioner, and a water pump) for around $160 from Rockauto or Amazon. Labor not included.