LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Rear main seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-16, 01:30 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Rear main seal leak

I just picked up my 2001 LS430 with 127,000 miles after getting all the spark plugs changed. I had both valve covers and seals changed a few years ago, but told my trusty indy mechanic to change any spark plug seals, and valve cover gaskets if you find oil around any of the spark plugs, I brought a complete set of OEM gaskets and seals in case he needed them. One of the spark plugs on the passenger side had oil around it, so he went ahead and changed that valve cover seal, spark plug seals, and grommets. Apparently the previous mechanic pinched one of the spark plug seals on the install and it was leaking around the plug. He told me upon inspection, he noticed oil around the rear main seal, and thoroughly cleaned everything underneath from the front of the engine bay to the trans to make sure no previous remnants of old oil seepage (old valve cover leaks) was being pushed back. I drove approximately 40 miles since the service and looked underneath at the rear main (which is covered by a plastic cover) and couldn't see any oil. I understand this is very soon and plan on checking again in 2 weeks. Bottom line is this. I know it's not leaking profusely because there is no oil on my garage floor or on my driveway. How many owners out there are aware of their RMS leaking and have been dealing with it or have actually replaced the seal? I am absolutely not replacing the seal if it is leaking, but would like to know how long I can drive it with a very small leak before it gets out of hand. My mechanic said he believes it is in it's early stages and progresses slowly. If the leaking was to become considerable, reluctantly I will be planning on looking for another car. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all. PS. If the leak is slight like mine is, the best way to know if it's leaking is to remove the plastic cover under the trans which is behind the main splash cover that protects the bottom of the engine. Oil can pool in this cover and sit there without being that noticeable.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 12-09-16 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-08-16, 01:50 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

No issues here. I get oil changes every 5,000 miles and have been told of no issues or evidence of oil leaks. I had the VC gaskets done with the plugs at 100K. Engine is really clean, IMHO...
Old 12-08-16, 03:54 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I'm not sure most owners are aware of this issue. Unless severe owners don't know.
Old 12-08-16, 09:29 PM
DiamondX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bocatrip, I am the original owner of a 2002 (137K) and had the same problem (very minor). Both Lexus and Toyota dealers said it would be over $1K to change the seal. I was told by a friend to try Mobil1 High Mileage since it contains seal conditioners. I completely cleaned the area where the leaking oil was found. After about 500 miles I checked again and found no oil. It's been approx. 20K miles and still no leak. I only use the High Mileage Mobile One now. Good luck!
Old 12-09-16, 06:07 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DiamondX
Bocatrip, I am the original owner of a 2002 (137K) and had the same problem (very minor). Both Lexus and Toyota dealers said it would be over $1K to change the seal. I was told by a friend to try Mobil1 High Mileage since it contains seal conditioners. I completely cleaned the area where the leaking oil was found. After about 500 miles I checked again and found no oil. It's been approx. 20K miles and still no leak. I only use the High Mileage Mobile One now. Good luck!
Thanks DiamondX for the suggestion. I am aware that the High Mileage Mobile one does have additives. I have been using Mobile one (standard synthetic) since ownership for the last 7 years. I was going to be changing my oil in the next 2500 miles but certainly could do it sooner. It's worth a try. My slight concern is owner's manual recommends API SJ multigrade or ILSAC multigrade. Mobile 1 High Mileage is API SL CF and not ILSAC. The Mobile 1 sites says it's compatable with our cars. Hopefully it's fine.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 12-09-16 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-09-16, 11:43 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea def try the high mileage Mobil 1 or Royal Purple formula. I wouldnt worry about it not being compatible with our engine. People run these cars to 200k with cheap gas station oil or the 19.99 shop changes with no name dino oil out of a 55g drum. Any good synthetic will be fine. The high mileage formulas with seal conditioner might do the trick.
Old 12-09-16, 12:04 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bmore430
Yea def try the high mileage Mobil 1 or Royal Purple formula. I wouldnt worry about it not being compatible with our engine. People run these cars to 200k with cheap gas station oil or the 19.99 shop changes with no name dino oil out of a 55g drum. Any good synthetic will be fine. The high mileage formulas with seal conditioner might do the trick.
I hope you're right. The area at the rear main is still super clean and I'll probably drive another 100 miles before my oil change on Monday using the Mobil 1 High Mileage and a new Lexus Oil filter. I'll cross my fingers.
Old 12-09-16, 03:54 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it too much, it literally could take years before it becomes a problem. Like others have said, try the high mileage oils, that's what they're for. There are plenty of cars driving around with all sorts of oil leaks, some worse than others, just keep an eye on it and make sure your oil is always full. I saw a 2011 Hyundai Genesis the other day and the oil pan was leaking badly...customer has been aware of it for a year...he hasn't done a thing to it, and honestly I don't blame him...it hasn't hurt a thing (except maybe the environment).
Old 12-10-16, 11:55 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have zero oil leaks on my 2006 LS 430... Did a OCI a month ago with Maxlife full synthetic 5W30 and it runs like silk. Very quiet. I have used Mobil 1 in this car and it seems smoother now with Maxlife full syn. I have used Mobil 1 HM oils in other vehicles and was not that impressed with their slowing of leaks. I believe Maxlife semi or even the full syn motor oil will do a better job slowing or even stopping a RMS seepage.

If I were you, I would try a 5K mile oil change with Maxlife semi syn(red bottle) 5W30 and I would almost bet it will stop your leak.
Old 12-26-16, 05:16 AM
kimsey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought an 02 with 180k a couple years back. A year ago I noticed a puddle of fresh synthetic oil under the car. My mechanic diagnosed the RMS.

He had to remove the trans to access the seal. The cost was $450 and haven't had oil loss except for oil consumption. Wasn't apart of my itinerary for initial maintenance for this vehicle but bit the bullet regardless.
Old 12-26-16, 08:00 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kimsey
Bought an 02 with 180k a couple years back. A year ago I noticed a puddle of fresh synthetic oil under the car. My mechanic diagnosed the RMS.

He had to remove the trans to access the seal. The cost was $450 and haven't had oil loss except for oil consumption. Wasn't apart of my itinerary for initial maintenance for this vehicle but bit the bullet regardless.
At $450 you got some deal! My RMS is seeping but nothing on the ground. My oil pan area is also wet but nothing on the ground. After I noticed it, I changed my oil with Mobile 1 High Mileage about 200 miles ago.
Old 12-26-16, 10:46 AM
kimsey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
At $450 you got some deal! My RMS is seeping but nothing on the ground. My oil pan area is also wet but nothing on the ground. After I noticed it, I changed my oil with Mobile 1 High Mileage about 200 miles ago.
They say it will only get worse after time. For me it started coming out quickly. The car was probably changed with regular oil most of it's life until I started using full synthetic.

400-500 was another quote I got from a different shop so that seems to be the going rate for the job.
Old 12-26-16, 12:53 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kimsey
They say it will only get worse after time. For me it started coming out quickly. The car was probably changed with regular oil most of it's life until I started using full synthetic.

400-500 was another quote I got from a different shop so that seems to be the going rate for the job.
. RMS leaks are usually considered the kiss of death for many cars due to the amount of labor involved. If severe enough.....owners of some cars decide to sell if concerned about ruining driveways or garage floors as well as the expense.I've read on forums the engine and or trans needs to be removed to replace the RMS which involves up to 10+ hrs of labor. Although I've not looked into doing it yet, I too might think of selling my car if it was costing over $1,000+ to repair. Right now I have two oil leaks to deal with although both are not severe enough to be leaking onto my driveway. Once I do the dye test, I can determine what to repair and when. It would be great to repair both at the same time. Kimsey.....Would be nice to have your labor rates down here in Florida!

Last edited by Bocatrip; 12-26-16 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-26-16, 02:42 PM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The crankshaft front and rear oil seals are designed to leak. You have one stationary item clamping a moving part, if you don't put a lubricant in between one or bothe will fail.
The seal takes a vary litel quantity of engine oil to lobricat the contact area between the rubber and steel. Some of that get thrown around. You don't see mutch on the front because it's open to the elimats. The rear is in an inclosed area so it collects over time. If you check after another 100k or so you will see it. But almost nothing in 10 or 20 k.
you should be worried win the oil looks fresh and runny. But if it is gummy and full of dirt, it means it's been there for a long time.
Old 12-27-16, 10:47 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

It's not worth addressing, eventually leaks are going to happen when you get a car that's over 15 years old. You could easily spend more than the car is worth going after every seal. And really, there''s not been so much as a single "drop" of oil that has actually hit the floor yet. I think you have several years left where it's not going to be an issue.

Even if you do get a few drops, it's not the end of the world. Just put a catch pan on your garage floor. My guess is over a year's time you'll only have a a few teaspoons. maybe

I would just embrace that the car is now worth very little money and just drive it as is. In many ways, it's sort of nice driving a car and not worrying about every little detail.

But if you want a perfect car, you're going to have to buy something new with a warranty.

Quick Reply: Rear main seal leak