LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My Love - The 2006 LS430 UL

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-16, 05:29 PM
Dylroberts
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
LOL we all get those comments. Meanwhile I enjoy the car. Got the grief from my wife. Now she wants the keys. I've owned a lot of cars (including an MB) but never one that I invent reasons to drive somewhere just because its so comfortable. I live in a town where everyone drives a Prius or shoebox size car. Thanks but I'll keep my LS.
Me too, I'll take the side roads home rather than the freeway just because I don't feel like getting out of it yet. I'd rather have this any day over a 2016 Kia Optima.
Old 11-19-16, 05:50 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylroberts
Me too, I'll take the side roads home rather than the freeway just because I don't feel like getting out of it yet. I'd rather have this any day over a 2016 Kia Optima.
There was a dare to compare email that the Lexus dealer sent me, comparing the IS350 to the competition. Boy, that car has no torque, I can't believe they send such a grid. imho 4 cyl as it is, a 2017 Audi A4 is way better than an IS--my sis in law just bought one. A Kia is a rental car that even I don't have to get (my co. does the GTI or Caddy CTS etc.). But I have driven one before and it was ok.
Old 11-19-16, 08:36 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Simply a wonderful car. You are wise beyond your years...
Old 11-20-16, 05:11 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Simply a wonderful car. You are wise beyond your years...
Well - I would not go that far. And I do not mean to be harsh. He rolled a lease finance deal into an used car deal. And my position is - never ever do that if you wish to be financially independent and well off in this country.

Now, with that said, I do think you have to live your life too! I like the color! Sometimes I wish I could swap colors - the white makes it glaringly obvious that I have not washed the car.
Old 11-20-16, 05:17 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

excellent color, different yet appropriately lexus conservative. And a UL to boot. You will be so glad you got the UL.
Old 11-20-16, 06:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by takimanpgt
Well - I would not go that far. And I do not mean to be harsh. He rolled a lease finance deal into an used car deal. And my position is - never ever do that if you wish to be financially independent and well off in this country.

Now, with that said, I do think you have to live your life too! I like the color! Sometimes I wish I could swap colors - the white makes it glaringly obvious that I have not washed the car.
. My dad is stricter than we are, he's still doing that "out the door" thing. So preprinted amounts on the sales form, Reggie fees, conveyance, title app, he prenegotiates. If they add up to $600, he wants another $600 off net sell. I bought a new BMW and after the fact, they added $800 training and MACO fees. It is NOT on the sticker, and IS on the invoice, nice!!! My car was ordered so I said give the allocation to someone else, I don't pay that. They let me slide. Thanks dad! This is why back then BMW buyer folks worked off sticker, not invoice.

i caved on the LS and let them add $75 for conveyance. Leases have tons of these added nothing fees....I will never ever lease, not even when I start drawing on my pensions 20 yrs from now.
Old 11-20-16, 10:29 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Lets say someone works hard, knows how to negotiate and likes owning an older fully depreciated car. All sound like good steps to financial independence.
Old 11-20-16, 12:08 PM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Lets say someone works hard, knows how to negotiate and likes owning an older fully depreciated car. All sound like good steps to financial independence.
Only if you paid cash. If you do all of the above but roll your lease costs into an auto loan - you are already under water.
Old 11-20-16, 02:46 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Only if you paid cash. If you do all of the above but roll your lease costs into an auto loan - you are already under water.
I agree, it was what I was faced with. The LS is the first "nice" car I have paid cash for. I prefer to finance for 36 mos., and put 50% down, regardless if the car is 20k, or 85k. In theory. Suze once said if you cannot afford a 36 mo. loan, you cannot afford the car. And never buy new, always buy used. Well, in my lifetime, I've only bought 3 new cars, and all 3 are on the road today, registered and insured. Although the 98 Maxima will surely be donated soon.

For kicks as I hate seeing my savings go down, I asked the dealer what rate I could get on the 2006 LS430. He goes, "We can probably do 2.99% for 36 mos., I just did a car about the same age.

NO WAY, WHY WOULD I WANT TO PAY DOUBLE THE GOING RATE FOR A LOAN?? I said no, I'll just pay cash, but what's the maximum I can put on my credit card for points? "$2,500." That was a whopping credit card bill that month, over $4k.....

edit again, I was all over the place, thinking I might get a GTI, then a Golf R, then a M2, then a used M3, in spring 2017. So the LS saved me potentially being 30k in debt, or maybe even 40k on the M3 (breaking my 50% rule because the principal is steep).
Old 11-20-16, 03:40 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Leasing a late model IS is a lot more expensive than buying a 12 yr old LS. Without real numbers and terms, can only do a rough estimate.

Lease (450/mo x 3 years). 15k buyout. Possible total cost 32k. Own possible 7 years (unless cash buyout)

Purchase (15k buy, 2k lease, tax, dealer, 4% 5 years). Monthly payment 336. Total cost roughly 20k. Own in 5 years (or sooner w/ a little overpay).

For getting out the lease, own an exceptional LS, lower monthly payments, no buyout, and save possibly 10k. If my numbers are even close, looks like a good call.
Old 11-20-16, 04:00 PM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Leasing a late model IS is a lot more expensive than buying a 12 yr old LS. Without real numbers and terms, can only do a rough estimate.

Lease (450/mo x 3 years). 15k buyout. Possible total cost 32k. Own possible 7 years (unless cash buyout)

Purchase (15k buy, 2k lease, tax, dealer, 4% 5 years). Monthly payment 336. Total cost roughly 20k. Own in 5 years (or sooner w/ a little overpay).

For getting out the lease, own an exceptional LS, lower monthly payments, no buyout, and save possibly 10k. If my numbers are even close, looks like a good call.
Bad math using an assumption that the OP was either going to lease an IS or buy an LS. Thing is - he already had an IS.

Terminating a lease before it fully expires isn't a matter of returning the car and walking away. Assume a lease buyout or termination fee. Add that fee to a purchase value for the LS. Roll that into an auto loan. And now you are under water. Infact, even a cash purchase would put you under water.

And OP - this isn't to suggest you did anything wrong. Frankly, feeling miserable in an IS to feeling great in an LS is probably the best decision you made.
Old 11-21-16, 08:07 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Get what you want, even if it cost you a bit more. Great decision and welcome to the club. We can be harsh sometimes, but we all mean well.
Enjoy the ride everyday!
Old 11-21-16, 07:09 PM
Dylroberts
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
Get what you want, even if it cost you a bit more. Great decision and welcome to the club. We can be harsh sometimes, but we all mean well.
Enjoy the ride everyday!
Thanks It's great to be a part of this forum.
Old 11-22-16, 03:31 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Yes. End of conversation on finances. Congrats on getting a LS with the incredibly low miles and even the color you wanted.
Look forward to your comments as you get to enjoy the car.