LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Our new 2001 LS430 UL

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-16, 09:03 AM
lt1fire
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh Lexus is giving me a free loaner for tomorrow when I take it in. Basically what sold me on them doing it VS me doing it as I needed to do about an 8 hour round trip tomorrow to eastern washington to inspect a property for work. No point pointing the miles on my car.
Old 11-11-16, 12:19 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good deal on the vehicle.
I traded my 2006 Ultra for a new 2014 Hyundai Equus. They gave me $5,500 & it had 365,000 miles.
Old 11-14-16, 07:27 PM
lt1fire
Rookie

Replaced 5 air filters tonight

Engine
Cabin
two front seat filters
air purifier

There is still two fro the back seats and two in the side panels back there. I've read those ones are washable and reusable.

Also have a new trans filter/strainer and will be doing that and trans filter as soon as I figure out the part number for the transmission pan gasket.
Old 11-14-16, 07:53 PM
lt1fire
Rookie

After reading about 40 threads I just found out that there are no rear air filters for a 2001 UL just the air purifier in the rear.

Two less filters to worry about. It just beg the question though how is the air flow through the rear seats filtered?
Old 11-15-16, 05:41 AM
MIArich430
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't beat the UL. Definitely a presidential car. Nice find!
Old 11-26-16, 07:30 PM
Dylroberts
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great looking car! Awesome colors

Hope you mutually treat each other well!
Old 11-27-16, 01:15 AM
farklspark
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm always so impressed you folks are so open to such high mileage cars.
Old 11-14-17, 11:27 AM
lt1fire
Rookie

my battery seems to have died

Going to go with a costco on this for the price and warranty. Plus i've always had good luck with interstate batteries.

Any thoughts on this battery choice?
Old 11-14-17, 02:43 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1fire

Going to go with a costco on this for the price and warranty. Plus i've always had good luck with interstate batteries.

Costco is an excellent choice. Just take it back every two years before it dies and Costco will give you your money back and you then buy a new battery. That way you can avoid ever having a failed battery and left stranded. How can you beat that?
Old 11-14-17, 03:06 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Is the LS treating you well? How many miles on it now?
Old 11-14-17, 04:00 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by L8RSk8R
Good deal on the vehicle.
I traded my 2006 Ultra for a new 2014 Hyundai Equus. They gave me $5,500 & it had 365,000 miles.
Your Lexus payed for itself many times after those miles. The Equus is a great car too, but personally I would like to see Genesis 90 on the back trunk although I'm sure the price you paid for the Equus is way way way lower than a newer one. Same car but different body style.
Old 11-14-17, 06:48 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1fire

Recently installed an Interstate Mega Tron II and seems to be fine (did not get it from Costco, though).

The TB service sounds reasonable but first order is to research and find a reliable and reputable independent shop; the dealers are not well equipped to service cars of this vintage and will charge a lot for routine services.

For the price you paid (seemingly a bargain) you can afford to invest in addressing all of the major challenges. Start with the mechanical items first (like TB, fluids, suspension) before the appearance and non-critical interior items. The side view mirrors are notorious for breaking and not easily addressed. Even if you spend more than you paid for the car in getting these items resolved, the car will provide you miles and years of service to enjoy.

Welcome to the fold....
Old 11-15-17, 10:33 AM
lt1fire
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Is the LS treating you well? How many miles on it now?

It was yes. I originally bought it because my wife and I commuted 100 miles a day in Seattle traffic and I wanted something more comfortable than her Jetta..... then 1 month after buying the LS we found a sweet deal on a place in the city 1 mile from my work and 5 from her's. LOL. So I walk to work and she drives. then after 6 months she got into two slight addicents (rear ended two people but no damage to the LS, this thing is a tank) and we kept getting dinged by other drivers in our parking garage so she decided she wanted to drive the smaller TDI again.
So since she didn't want it and I didn't need it the plan was to sell it to a friend of mine. Fast forward another 4 months and she decided that she needs a SUV for work (and sadly she does having to transport tons of things around from the various sites she supervises. So she will now drive my 98 land cruiser. I'm going to keep the LS because I like it so much and we will sell her jetta.

Been playing musical cars the last year it seems.

Did the TB and WP job.
Fixed leaky trans pan and replaced all fluids, except Coolant but that is next on my list and all filters.
Got a used rear sunshade to replace the seized one.

Still need to replace the drivers mirror and replace one parking sensor, and figure out the headlight washers... thinking relay or motor right now but it isn't high on my list as I don't know if i'd use them anyway.

Only things that have gone wrong with it in the last year is the hole in the fuel hose (not sure if something kicked up in there or a mouse when it was in storage for 5 moths but I can't find anything else bitten and all electronics work fine) and i've developed a leak in my WS washer bottle or one of the lines because I loose fluid fast.

I'll just be glad when I can drive it again on the weekends or when our lease is up in May and we buy a house a little farther out from the city.
Old 11-15-17, 12:19 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

love that color combo, actually my favorite combo.
Old 03-02-18, 11:16 AM
lt1fire
Rookie

Since I never drive the car anymore, sad I know, I only just got around to replacing the battery... MT from interstate and no problems. Nice to know it wasn't a drain from somewhere.

Now to figure out the back seat and rear deck to replace the power shade.

Quick Reply: Our new 2001 LS430 UL