LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Rear rotors cost more than front rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 03:29 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Rear rotors cost more than front rotors?

I just finished installing OEM front rotors and pads on my 2001 LS430 when I was informed I need rears as well. When pricing the rears on line, I noticed that the factory OEM rear rotors were actually more expensive than the fronts! The amount is not significant (about $40-$50 total for both rotors). The vendor told me he gets this very question whenever he takes an order on the rears. Does anyone know why a smaller rotor costs more or is there a site that sells the factory OEM rear rotors and pads for the comparable price to the fronts? I just paid $251 for the front pads and rotors including shipping and tax. It's no big deal, but I was curious. I can get the rears for $293.87 from the same Lexus dealer in Arizona that I purchased the fronts. Of course if there was a different source I would entertain it. Thanks all.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 11-03-16 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-03-16, 03:48 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Some rotor resurfacing shops charge more for the rear because they have to machine the "disc" and the "drum". This could be the reason for higher manufacturing cost. I'm guessing!
Old 11-03-16, 04:04 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Some rotor resurfacing shops charge more for the rear because they have to machine the "disc" and the "drum". This could be the reason for higher manufacturing cost. I'm guessing!
Thanks for the imput... As our cars are getting older, there seems to be fewer owners that want to go for OEM parts other than original owners. I happen to be the exception as I find for the most part the OEM parts just give me less grief and work better. Thanks again.
Old 11-03-16, 04:06 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

What and where is the drum on a rear rotor? Sorry, but I'm not totally mechanically savvy.
Old 11-03-16, 04:12 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Refer to the photo below, the "disc" is the surface used to provide friction to stop the car in motion. The "drum" is the inner surface for the parking brake to hold the car in place.
Old 11-03-16, 05:00 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Ahhhh.... So the rear discs are configured differently than the fronts...yes? There is reason enough for an additional expense to replace the rears over fronts....Thanks again RKW... You are a f......g genious!!!!!!! Good for you and thanks so much.. I'm going to just bite the bullet and get the OEM rears for the few extra dollars. It's great we have a great forum here with such a wealth of info with great members llike RKW. and others.. Thanks everyone!!!!!
Old 11-03-16, 05:13 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The drum on the rear rotor serves as the friction surface for the parking brake, and the disc serves as the friction surface for normal braking.
Old 11-03-16, 05:15 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Does anyone know why there are 5 holes between the holes for the lugs? I take it the 2 small ones are for bolts to press off the hub, but what are the other holes for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disc-Brake-R...-/191799494736
Old 11-03-16, 06:17 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

You can get a Centric Premium rear rotor for an LS for around $36 a piece through places like RockAuto. I have used that line on 2 Lexus and had great results. In fact, it was a Lexus OEM rotor that kept having warping issues until I swapped it.

FWIW, almost all of the aftermarket rotors are cheaper for the rear than the front. My guess is Lexus charges more just because they can and they probably don't sell that many for the rear, it might just be an inventory issue.
Old 11-03-16, 10:12 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Does anyone know why there are 5 holes between the holes for the lugs? I take it the 2 small ones are for bolts to press off the hub, but what are the other holes for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disc-Brake-R...-/191799494736
Refer to the drawing below, one of those 5 holes will line up with the access hole on the wheel hub for parking brake adjustments.

Old 11-04-16, 05:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Refer to the drawing below, one of those 5 holes will line up with the access hole on the wheel hub for parking brake adjustments.
Cool, thanks. GM puts a rubber plug in the hole. The firestone guy never replaced it on one side, and I found out GM gets $9 for it. I put some foam into the hole instead thinking I'd keep the elements out.....does Toyota cover the hole with a plug? I would love to replace my rear rotors as the hats are 100% rusted, but the state inspection says I have 9/32 left, so it may be a while, a very long while....
Old 11-04-16, 06:15 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BradTank
You can get a Centric Premium rear rotor for an LS for around $36 a piece through places like RockAuto. I have used that line on 2 Lexus and had great results. In fact, it was a Lexus OEM rotor that kept having warping issues until I swapped it.

FWIW, almost all of the aftermarket rotors are cheaper for the rear than the front. My guess is Lexus charges more just because they can and they probably don't sell that many for the rear, it might just be an inventory issue.
Yes I was originally going with Centric premium rotors (a few bucks more) and akebono pads but decided to pay the extra bucks for the OEMs. Yes I too had warped rotors but I have no idea how many times they were turned and I just didn't want any issues. My car is now 16 years old and although I love it I'm not sure how long I will keep it. The two things I personally never skimp on are brakes and tire's. That's just me.
Old 11-04-16, 08:47 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Yes I was originally going with Centric premium rotors (a few bucks more) and akebono pads but decided to pay the extra bucks for the OEMs. Yes I too had warped rotors but I have no idea how many times they were turned and I just didn't want any issues. My car is now 16 years old and although I love it I'm not sure how long I will keep it. The two things I personally never skimp on are brakes and tire's. That's just me.
I think you can NEVER go wrong with OEM. It may cost more, but you know you've gotten what came from the factory (or close, I don't believe the OEM's would be made in Japan, they'd be made locally and branded, but to Toyota's specs). For me, I wouldn't expect that unsightly rust everywhere when OEM rotors are used. I am wondering what this notch on the rotors are, but cannot post a pic since photobucket was hacked and the site is currently down.

One thing that is almost never affordable OEM, is a rebuilt caliper. For that, imho there is no choice but to go aftermarket (just making it up, could be $85 vs. $350).

As far as warping, again, many do not believe that the rotors actually warp, rather, they become unsmooth from deposits.....I believe that if something embeds in the pad, the rotor can be ruined......at any rate pulsation is seriously annoying....
Old 11-04-16, 09:10 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I think you can NEVER go wrong with OEM. It may cost more, but you know you've gotten what came from the factory (or close, I don't believe the OEM's would be made in Japan, they'd be made locally and branded, but to Toyota's specs). For me, I wouldn't expect that unsightly rust everywhere when OEM rotors are used. I am wondering what this notch on the rotors are, but cannot post a pic since photobucket was hacked and the site is currently down.

One thing that is almost never affordable OEM, is a rebuilt caliper. For that, imho there is no choice but to go aftermarket (just making it up, could be $85 vs. $350).

As far as warping, again, many do not believe that the rotors actually warp, rather, they become unsmooth from deposits.....I believe that if something embeds in the pad, the rotor can be ruined......at any rate pulsation is seriously annoying....
. I ordered yesterday my rear OEM rotors and pads. Will pick up the flange bolts from my Local Lexus dealer. This will most likely be my last set of brakes as the last set lasted me almost 7 years and only 26,000 miles! I too hated the pulsation and prey it doesn't return too soon.
Old 11-04-16, 10:13 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

The Centric Premium have like a powder coating on the hat to prevent that, I haven't had issues. Usually OEM is better on most parts I agree, but I've had issues with Lexus rotors and a lot of other people have as well. They just seemed to keep warping. And the OP is saying his warped at only 26k miles.

My opinion at least is that when a car starts getting worth like $6,000, it makes sense to find economical alternatives than going to the dealer for all your parts. Some people look at that differently, but if I can find a quality alternative for like 50-80% less than going to a dealership, it's a no brainer for me.

Quick Reply: Rear rotors cost more than front rotors?