LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Question about this excellent looking '02 for sale.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-16, 06:36 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Excellent tips, I would look at the center console and how many buttons, I wanted to avoid ULs. But I actually would have wanted to avoid CLs as well--don't want the actuators on the doors myself, it seems like driver's actuator needing replacement is a sure thing and the parts are much more costly....
Old 10-24-16, 09:10 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
dunno but work shows up on lexus driver immediately, including work one declines....today out of convenience I made an appt at the Toyota dealership for a state inspection. I asked if they work on Lexus because it's a Toyota product, the person said we work on all makes and models (is this new?), but Lexus is probably #2 to Toyota, techs are similarly trained....Toyota charges less than AAA, s**** living in a Commonwealth. Everyone has their hand grabbing a fee. Took me 3 weeks to get a license plate, and multiple folks took a cut and charged $300. If I DIY'd it would have cost over $200...for a plate? lol makes about as much sense as AZ's affordable care doubling for 2017. How can anyone justify that in good conscience...
Yeah all dealer work done (on both my LS's) shows on Lexus Driver. However, none of the dealer work for the 01 showed up on the $40 Car Fax. Zero. Nada. Nothing. The only work (since new) that did show was a tire purchase, oil changes from local gas stations, smog, owner transfers and one job done at a Toyota dealer. JMO but Car Fax is a waste of money.
Old 10-24-16, 10:53 PM
Salsaman06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wood grain on this one is called Ecru Birds Eye Maple. Only CLs and ULs from '01-'03 had it. My '03 UL had it. Hate that wood. Reminded me of the burnt wood in a fireplace. Or driftwood you would find on a beach. I think they were trying for the illusion of marble. Anyway, agree with everyone else - this is a CL not a UL for the reasons already stated.
Old 10-25-16, 01:26 AM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Yeah all dealer work done (on both my LS's) shows on Lexus Driver. However, none of the dealer work for the 01 showed up on the $40 Car Fax. Zero. Nada. Nothing. The only work (since new) that did show was a tire purchase, oil changes from local gas stations, smog, owner transfers and one job done at a Toyota dealer. JMO but Car Fax is a waste of money.
I hope to finalize a purchase in November and have been thinking about which one to use.

Opinions on Autocheck anyone?
Old 10-25-16, 06:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wnyjazz
I hope to finalize a purchase in November and have been thinking about which one to use.

In my search, it did seem like CarFax is at least somewhat accurate, and seems to be the most complete, which isn't saying all that much. Obviously, they can be very incomplete. And, they even disclaim that if it says no accidents, there still can be accidents not reported to them. This was the case on a '05 LS430...one owner no accidents, and the paint looked really bad!! But I had to laugh, when pics went online from this Lexus dealer, they showed black paint splashed on the rear right rim!! When I went to see it in person, it would not start. strike 1 lol rear right tailpipe bent, rear right door gouged in plastic, and the internal work order showed both right shocks replaced? This was a car asking $14,600, and the dealer said they would do the timing belt/water pump for that price. 89k. Black onxy with ML, 4 new tires, no name installed by dealer.
Old 10-25-16, 07:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wnyjazz

I think we can give you a list of gotchas....this way, if you're buying from a new car dealer, you can ask them to address (maybe they won't, but I think likely they will). I got burned with a faulty driver door actuator, and luckily, dealer was willing to fix no questions asked....also they addressed the front brakes and replaced with OEM. But I also didn't notice 3rd brake light out (and passed state inspection?), 12v front console not working (fuse), rear sunshade not working (let it go), hood and trunk struts worn (DIY with Monroes), telescope wheel got weak, pulled fuse. But imho, since common issues, I'd try to work water pump/timing belt if at 90k, and then lower control arm bushings and motor mounts (my guess is most will balk at those items but worth mentioning)....good luck on your search.
Old 10-25-16, 08:03 AM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

In my search, it did seem like CarFax is at least somewhat accurate, and seems to be the most complete, which isn't saying all that much. Obviously, they can be very incomplete. And, they even disclaim that if it says no accidents, there still can be accidents not reported to them. This was the case on a '05 LS430...one owner no accidents, and the paint looked really bad!! But I had to laugh, when pics went online from this Lexus dealer, they showed black paint splashed on the rear right rim!! When I went to see it in person, it would not start. strike 1 lol rear right tailpipe bent, rear right door gouged in plastic, and the internal work order showed both right shocks replaced? This was a car asking $14,600, and the dealer said they would do the timing belt/water pump for that price. 89k. Black onxy with ML, 4 new tires, no name installed by dealer.
Wow...on that nasty '05!

I think we can give you a list of gotchas....this way, if you're buying from a new car dealer, you can ask them to address (maybe they won't, but I think likely they will). I got burned with a faulty driver door actuator, and luckily, dealer was willing to fix no questions asked....also they addressed the front brakes and replaced with OEM. But I also didn't notice 3rd brake light out (and passed state inspection?), 12v front console not working (fuse), rear sunshade not working (let it go), hood and trunk struts worn (DIY with Monroes), telescope wheel got weak, pulled fuse. But imho, since common issues, I'd try to work water pump/timing belt if at 90k, and then lower control arm bushings and motor mounts (my guess is most will balk at those items but worth mentioning)....good luck on your search.
All good points...thanks.
Old 10-25-16, 10:01 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Use Carfax for accidents that may be reported (some accidents are not reported, so it's not a guarantee). Most major accidents are reported. This data comes through Police reports connected with the VIN.

Use Lexus owner website for Lexus dealer maintenance. (Indy or DIY maintenance is not documented.)
Old 10-25-16, 11:25 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

cl is the way to go imo, who needs air ride and what owner rides in the back seat now a days?? stock suspension is just as good as air ride suspension, but still i say it's overpriced by a few grand.
Old 10-25-16, 12:46 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

that car seems like an amazing deal. I think thats the first time ive ever seen that exterior/ interior combination. Very nice.
Old 10-25-16, 07:01 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Although the car seems clean, am I the only one who thinks the price is a little on the high side? Of course I don't know the condition of some other cars, but there are 04-06s with over 100K in the 9-14,000 price range. Both models are going to require repairs... why not go for the refreshed model? If this car was under 8K I guess You might give it a shot, but bottom line, everything you are going to do to upkeep this 03 you will have to do for the refreshed model with more appeal and options. Yes, it sounds like a nice car, but 10K is a bit excessive to me when many of these cars are now 4-6,000 dollars. Might not be in this condition, but they have bottomed out with depreciation and anyway, all of these cars a very old.
Old 10-25-16, 07:38 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Although the car seems clean, am I the only one who thinks the price is a little on the high side? Of course I don't know the condition of some other cars, but there are 04-06s with over 100K in the 9-14,000 price range. Both models are going to require repairs... why not go for the refreshed model? If this car was under 8K I guess You might give it a shot, but bottom line, everything you are going to do to upkeep this 03 you will have to do for the refreshed model with more appeal and options. Yes, it sounds like a nice car, but 10K is a bit excessive to me when many of these cars are now 4-6,000 dollars. Might not be in this condition, but they have bottomed out with depreciation and anyway, all of these cars a very old.
Yes, I'd strongly prefer a '04-'06, but I believe I should be somewhat open minded too. So I have some interest, tempered against the distance and the (current) price. Just learning about these cars and was curious what model it was.

Plus, someone else here may want it, so why not post it?
Old 10-25-16, 07:59 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Agree this is too high for an 03 (from a broker) especially if it doesn't have any owner or service history. Spend 12-13 for a nice private (or quality dealer) 04-06 w/ 100k. Locally there's an 06 ML one owner dealer service w/ 102 for 12.9
Old 10-26-16, 12:39 PM
LSxtacy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There would also be the rear vanity mirrors on the headliner, I don't see them.
Old 10-26-16, 07:56 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Not an Ultra. No side shades on rear passenger windows. I have a UL, and I would have preferred a CL. The toys are nice on the UL, but not worth the suspension headaches.

Quick Reply: Question about this excellent looking '02 for sale.