LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Went to a car show

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-16, 08:26 AM
Jks24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to a car show

So i went to a car show and the new thing now is lowering your car as much as possible and putting leather on your a pillars and other stupid things and calling it vip. I personally believe vip is for luxery cars only just my opinion i also realised i am so outdated its not even funny. Does any one else feel as if the new trend is kinda stupid? I feel u ts just as bad as the headlight tail light conversions and crazy tall wings on a car. Am i just getting to old?
Old 10-23-16, 08:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Most of us here are likely old enough to like outdated trends....I remember when everyone was clearing their lenses from Amber, it was a rage.

when I got my '07 335i new, the angel eyes were very cool. They are lit by a halogen H8, very dim and yellow brown by led standards. Some folks getting the car used today are embarrassed by them and immediately upgrade to Led before anyone sees them with dull dim angel eyes!

for me, I always want the wolf in sheep's clothing, no flash on the outside, but serious hardware on the inside.....my .02...
Old 10-23-16, 12:30 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is there any car trend that's smart?

Dropping 60k on an air cooled 911 seems dumb, especially when that would have gotten you two 996 Turbos a few years ago.

Resto mod pony cars become 40k builds and a V6 Camaro would give them a run for their money.

The VIP scene seems to support the used market for our cars and I appreciate that.

Though the cynic in me says that VIPs don't really care about 10+ year old luxury cars that cost less than 20% of the GDP per capita, mods make you more likely to get pulled over (so thanks for taking the heat off me, VIP folks), I would have a long hard think if I put money into my car and made it less able to navigate parking lots with steep approaches / speed bumps, and the scene makes trade offs I'd never make. Big wheels impair ride quality, skinny tires cost more, custom / height adjustable suspension is expensive and doesn't expand the 'sweet spot' of the suspension, the custom electronics don't really make the car more comfortable, subs in the trunk reduce cargo space, and if you're going to buy a car and mod it, why not buy a car closer to what you want like an IS?
Old 10-23-16, 03:01 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Most of us here are likely old enough to like outdated trends....I remember when everyone was clearing their lenses from Amber, it was a rage.

when I got my '07 335i new, the angel eyes were very cool. They are lit by a halogen H8, very dim and yellow brown by led standards. Some folks getting the car used today are embarrassed by them and immediately upgrade to Led before anyone sees them with dull dim angel eyes!

for me, I always want the wolf in sheep's clothing, no flash on the outside, but serious hardware on the inside.....my .02...
Stealth is the way to go. One of the many reasons I like 430's.
Old 10-23-16, 03:55 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

I get what you guys are saying I am just like in awe of people who have a car slammed to the ground with stupid camber then brag about how there car has 400-700 hp. Another issue I have is people who go "I only drive my car 2-5 times a year the rest of the time it sits in a garage".....what is the point of owning a car if you dont drive it? Then the whole nonfunctional bull**** like 8 cannards on the front, massive rear gt style wing with 13 inch wide rims that have a 12 inch polished lip like it's stupid to me, you don't track the car why do you have that.

Some douche bag 19-22 year old told me my car is "gay" because I have no aggressive camber and it's not slamed to he ground, I now understand how the muscle car or low rider guys feel. I feel outta place in the tuning scene now, like outdated I guess is the way to put it. I feel that this whole "stance" trend is worse than the combat body kits with headlight conversions era.

Sorry for the rant I just have really begun to hate what the car scene has become.
Old 10-23-16, 04:29 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Right now, 3 spoke steering wheels have been in, for at least 10 yrs. I clearly remember as a kid, a friend's dad had an optional 4 spoke steering wheel in his Porsche, 3 was standard. At first, I found the LS steering wheel to be a bit large for my tastes. But now I figure a big car needs a big wheel! A tiny 3 spoke wheel might be out of place.

i wonder if just the Germans have more than one steering wheel on a given car, or if the Japanese and Americans do too....
Old 10-23-16, 04:36 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know I'm too old and don't care. I think slammed to low you can't really drive is dumb. I think camber so aggressive you burn up tires in 2 months is dumb. I think wheels so wide with stretched tires is just plain weird. So call me old. I'll take that.
Old 10-23-16, 05:53 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ice350
I know I'm too old and don't care. I think slammed to low you can't really drive is dumb. I think camber so aggressive you burn up tires in 2 months is dumb. I think wheels so wide with stretched tires is just plain weird. So call me old. I'll take that.

​​​​​​awsome you made me feel better thank you haha
Old 10-23-16, 07:12 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the Lexus car models that is always a popular mod car is the GS and I happen to own one, a GS430. If you visit the 2GS forums, you'll see the kids going nuts modding these cars... and you'll read about all the problems this creates. Constant suspension issues. Hundreds and even thousands spent on fender rolling, suspension lowering kits etc. And then there are the VIP mods too. Some of them make me laugh because they make no sense but then I'm not of that generation.

When I look at what the kids are doing I realize that it's not much different than what I bought into as a kid too. I went with larger wheels and tires because that's what you did back then. I'm sure there were some old men who just looked at my cheap beater and shook their heads. Eventually I came to my senses in my 30's and beyond.

Would I like to lower my car slightly? Yes. But nothing that would harm the suspension. Bigger wheels and tires? No because I have no tolerance for a harsh ride and ridiculous noise in the same way I did when I was a 20 year old.

It's all relative. We all get older and realize how silly we were. Just like these kids will move on after they've had their fling with an edgy car. Unfortunately they're doing this with cars that were once upwards of $50K at one point instead of the cheap domestic beaters I used to tool around in.
Old 10-23-16, 09:09 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MattyG
One of the Lexus car models that is always a popular mod car is the GS and I happen to own one, a GS430. If you visit the 2GS forums, you'll see the kids going nuts modding these cars... and you'll read about all the problems this creates. Constant suspension issues. Hundreds and even thousands spent on fender rolling, suspension lowering kits etc. And then there are the VIP mods too. Some of them make me laugh because they make no sense but then I'm not of that generation.

When I look at what the kids are doing I realize that it's not much different than what I bought into as a kid too. I went with larger wheels and tires because that's what you did back then. I'm sure there were some old men who just looked at my cheap beater and shook their heads. Eventually I came to my senses in my 30's and beyond.

Would I like to lower my car slightly? Yes. But nothing that would harm the suspension. Bigger wheels and tires? No because I have no tolerance for a harsh ride and ridiculous noise in the same way I did when I was a 20 year old.

It's all relative. We all get older and realize how silly we were. Just like these kids will move on after they've had their fling with an edgy car. Unfortunately they're doing this with cars that were once upwards of $50K at one point instead of the cheap domestic beaters I used to tool around in.

I am only 25 and I just want a tastfully modified car is all, my motto is if it is not there for functionality then it has no place on the car. Its weird though because I never did anything crazy or wild with a car it was always rims lowered a bit and crazy fast. I never really followed the trends I just did what I wanted to do to the car and what my own perception of "cool" was, but thanks for your input though I will deffinetly take a look at that section of the forum.
Old 10-23-16, 10:33 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Over time it seems that show car mods have become more and more over the top and cartoonishly silly looking. The slammed cars with giant sized wheels and tires with rolled fenders and silly amounts of camber look particularly stupid.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 10-25-16 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-24-16, 09:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ice350
I went to an event where we drove cars with professional instructors (free, not like my buddy who paid a few grand for 2 days at the factory). They told me they replace tires every 40-50 miles. I said every 5000, or did you say 500 miles? The instructor said fifty.
Old 10-24-16, 09:57 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Ultra slammed, lipped, grilled, rear spoilers, brain blasting bass,etc isn't a drivable car. It's a "fashion statement". Drive a couple of times/year (or trailer it) to car shows. Otherwise, leave it in the driveway and take lots of pictures. Hey to each his/her own right? Local tire shop sees the oversized, zero profile tire guys because the tires blow out. So we have a wide range of LS owners; from babied to spirited drivers to slammers.
Old 10-25-16, 12:42 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Boy, unpopular opinion in this thread, but i really like that look. However i would never do it to a car that i expect to drive to work, or really anything more than a sunday cruise and car show. It sure is interesting how much that trend has caught on though. The thing that bother me about it is the pure negligence of some people. Once you roll your fenders they will never be the same your car will look bad on your stock wheels, bro.
Old 10-25-16, 03:43 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default carshow

Looks like there is a whole generation of LS owners who are in the "stealth" mode.
More meat than sauce
But I know what it was in the "good ol' times" Went thru it myself. Bigger tires, faster cars, all the "goodies". Now looking back - what a waste of money.
Did some small changes on my LS, now people ask: what kind a car is this?
Really like the 1.5" drop of the Bilstein coilovers. Can wash out the fenderwells and don't have to watch "normal" speedbumps and steep ramps

Quick Reply: Went to a car show