LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Drove 15 cars today how does LS compare

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-16, 06:45 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Drove 15 cars today how does LS compare

Bergstrom Drive for a Cure. Really Really liked the E300 handles so nice and flat around turns, plenty of power fot a 2.0 turbo with use of aluminum which is where alot of folks are going and the ride and seats superb. Prolly 60 grand with all the super high tech drive by itself features. Otherwise the XC90 was a nice SUV but rattled. Disappointed in the new x5 e40 handling. G50was fun to ragdoll around corners. Q60 was a nice SUV. Touareg was nice of course Highlander, CX-9 uninspiring and CX-9 tight. Lil BMW X1 nice handling but seats and interior poor. Q5 is nice but just as soon get a Touareg again biased. Epa ratings not all that spectacular in the SUV's. I do this cancer roundup thing every year buck a mile usually log 15 10 miles test drives. Brother smiling down on me he would be 60 this year.Miss that SOB.

Anyway give me a 3 car Garage maybe 4 Jaguar XF, E300 my Touareg TDI and my LS as those where the 4 best rides I drove for the day. the drivetrains 3.5's and 2.0's and suspension have remained the same over the yesrs with a couple extra gears on the tranny's. Best feature the Caddie CT6 nice also they get alot out of the tried and true 3.6 a 2 1/2 by 6 panoramic rear view mirroe camers mounted outside so you dont see head rests just open road. Prolly count whitetails in the fields I hope ya can turn off the start stop engine fesatures at stop signs, annoying
Old 08-21-16, 08:36 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I fill out the garage at 45 to 55 k vehicles so when I buy em they are still under warraantee 2-3 years old. Anyone else have a garage to fill what ya driven that was sweet?
Old 08-21-16, 10:04 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Just the 2 LS's and my 2001 Sonoma which is rusting away, but still runs great..
Old 08-21-16, 05:11 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove a 60-70's amphicar that was a cool car, a 900 hp supra the car just spun the **** outta the tires but super fun, a 600 hp evo 8 fully caged, a ls3 swapped rx7 that car was a lot of fun, a turbo charged miata with a widebody probably one of the best handling cars i have ever driven, a supercharged and turbocharged evo 8 car was weird to drive but cool, a supercharged crown vic, a 4g63t swapped porsche....thats all i can think of for now. I really wanna drive a ferrari enzo, a evo fq400, and a Koenigsegg Ccx.

I have not owned these cars but have driven them i currently have a ls430, a 2014 impreza and am in the market for another ls430 or a ls460 or some other lexus for my women.

Last edited by Jks24; 08-21-16 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-21-16, 05:16 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Sounds admirable!
Old 08-21-16, 10:18 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wrote a college admission essay comparing and contrasting a Yamaha Vino Scooter and an LS400. I'm a machine enthuiast and I admire one for its reductionism and one for its exhaustive perfectionism.

Every single time I drive an LS, I'm amazed at how well they age and how consistent they drive. They're super Camrys. They're like playing video games on easy. You don't have to work for anything in these cars. If you want more power, you tip in the gas pedal. If you want to stop, you hit the brake pedal. If you want to go to dinner and you're having a conversation, you can get into the car and carry on with the conversation and find yourself at the restaurant 20 minutes later. If you want to corner harder, you just dial in more steering angle or give it more gas. You can't really upset these cars mid-corner, they're too soft.

Compare that to any other car where you have to work for it - if you want the car to be quiet, you can't drive above the speed limit or accelerate quickly. If you want the car to idle smoothly, you have to pop it into neutral when you're stopped, ect. At the end of the day, the LS makes almost every other car seem intrusive.

But it just does things very well and in an agreeable way. These cars handle better than most people give them credit for, you have to select a pretty zippy car to get something faster. Heck, we'd blow the doors off of the Fiesta St / Civic Si in acceleration and those are "performance" cars. There aren't really cars that are more comfortable, especially for tall men. And even though our cars are 15-10 years old, they're unusually reliable. And my car isn't worth much these days. I didn't pay much for it. But I'd be surprised to get more than $6,000 for it. So what would I rather have, 6k or a really good car that's treated me well and just cracked 100k miles a few months ago? I think I'll take the best car I ever owned, thank you very much. I have no idea why Chrysler 200s sell for more money than these things but I'm just glad mine is so affordable.

I can tell you what's going to get me out of an LS - the Tesla Model 3. I want to keep my sub-6.5 second 0-60 and low noise, but I want to double down on safety and connivence technology.
Old 08-22-16, 10:26 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I hope ya can turn off the start stop engine fesatures at stop signs, annoying
For me, this one of those features that is almost a deal breaker on a car. I have relatives with a new Mercedes GL SUV that I got spend some time behind the wheel, around $80k plus and it has the engine kill "feature" at stop lights and makes the car feel like the transmission is about to go out. You don't buy a high end luxury car to have it stall out like that at every stop. If traffic gets heavy, its incredibly annoying having the car stall out and then restart, it's like driving an old clunker.

And in order to defeat it, EVERY time you get in the car, you have to manually push a button to turn it off. All to save probably $2 a month in gas.

As if people who drop $80k plus on a luxury car want to save a few dollars a year in gas and feel like their car is about to leave them stranded.

I hope the tree huggers don't make this the new thing every car maker has to adopt.

Last edited by BradTank; 08-22-16 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-22-16, 03:54 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Plus to Brad what do starters cost? 800 -2000 bucks at least.

If we had the 2004-2006 luxury cars which where rated in like 04 I think, A8, M45, Phaeton, S430, Jaguar, 7 series beemer. Which car would the original owner be most satisfied with if they where in their garage? Cost, solid build, cost repairs, how it handles and drives at 140k?

I drove my highlander for a break but really digging the way the Pilot A/S grip when it gets warmer like this. Ya they have become noiseier, lines in the road it catches a little but it has a lower sportier flatter feel to it I am liking even compared to the many cars I drove this weekend.