LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Buying used low miles 2004 LS 430 Need advice!!

Old 06-28-16, 05:51 PM
lr2017
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying used low miles 2004 LS 430 Need advice!!

Looking to buy 2004 LS 430 88K mi. Lexus Dealer who is selling has all the records, service done every 5k miles since beginning. latest 85k mi service done but timing chain and spark plugs not changed. Appreciate if someone can provide feed back if this is a good deal for $11,500 and other than regular oil change, what am I looking at for 90k maintenance. I called other Lexus Dealer he said 90k service include transmission service + all fluids replaced + sparkplugs for $1600. Timing chain to be replaced upon inspection.

Thank you
I apologize if there is already a thread running somewhere, I tried to search but not too good at searching in the forums.
Old 06-28-16, 06:08 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Try to get the car down to 10 or under. The timing belt service is expensive and be assured that once you start getting close to 100K, there are numerous wear items (mentioned on this board) that will require repairs, such as leaking valve cover gaskets, 02 sensors, lower control arm bushings, wheel bearings, radiator, and of course the rear subwoofer just to mention a few. Be prepared to keep some savings for these and other repairs which crop up even though this is a reliable well made car. It's just not a low maintenance car. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
lr2017 (01-06-17)
Old 06-29-16, 07:35 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

An Ls430 with under 90,000 miles with all service records AND coming from a dealership, surprised the price is under $18,000. $11,500 + ($1,500) is a steal if the interior/exterior is looking an 8/10. With that being said, try to negotiate with the dealership to split that $1,600 90k service. $11,500 + $800 and you have yourself a luxury car that will go another 200,000 miles at a lucky price IMO.
lr2017 (01-06-17)
Old 06-29-16, 08:03 AM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course get the best deal you can, use the 90K service as a bargaining chip or make them include it in the purchase price… Almost 4 years ago I bought a 2001 with 121K on it. I’m now over 223K. In that time I have maybe spent $200 on non-maintenance items, a coil pack and oil control valve. My valve covers started to leak, smelled the burning oil, tightened the covers up as the bolts had become loose (finger tight) over time, leak went away. The gaskets may have to be replaced but it will be a race, will the car die first or the gaskets start leaking again… I also had to repair my subwoofer, but in all fairness, AC/DC was on when it went out, so calling that a self-inflicted issue, fixed it myself $75.00. Still on all original suspension to include wheel bearing hubs, are some things getting loose, probably, but I have felt no issues nor do I have any abnormal tire wear. Could I spend money on the suspension, I’m sure I could. But is it really needed and what’s my return on investment.

There has also been a lot of discussion in here about spending money on these cars and over maintaining them. While I am guilty of this to a point, (see radiator below) I am now to a point of only maintaining what I have, it’s down to the point the R.O.I. Value of my car on a good day is probably $5,000 now, but I think it’s probably the best $5,000 used car on the road. I don’t drive it like I stole it, but I have been known to drive it like a rental car from time to time and another story about this 55 year old man and a punk in a Honda civic tuner…..

If this 04 does not have air suspension or navigation , that’s a good thing, you see a lot of people spending a lot of money on repairing 10 plus year old air suspension and nav systems in here. I don’t have air ride or nav and have no experience with either, just going by the expensive threads that I read.

I have done all of my own maintenance, oil changes, brakes, spark plugs, timing belt, and the list goes on, these cars are very easy to work on. Almost all of my cost have been associated with maintenance and not repairs, I did replace my radiator, but that was my choice when I did the timing belt, just a matter of time before a 12 year old plastic radiator will cost a tow bill. With doing my own work I, with the exception of tires and oil changes, I would be hard pressed to have spent over $1,800 in the past 4 years on this car. To me, pretty cheap for 100,000 plus miles

Looks like you have found a decent one, based on mileage looks like it been driven 8,000 per year and dealer maintained. When my 01 dies, which it’s showing no sign of, I will be looking for what you have found. Yes there are expensive things that can go wrong with these cars, from what I have read in here, more the exception than the rule.

My advice, you are buying a $10,000 car, drive it, enjoy it, maintain it, fix what needs to be fixed when it needs to be fixed and it’s only a $10,000 car that someone else paid $60,000 plus for.

Let us know how it works out.

Last edited by zapola6; 06-29-16 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-29-16, 01:33 PM
lr2017
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sportznuts
An Ls430 with under 90,000 miles with all service records AND coming from a dealership, surprised the price is under $18,000. $11,500 + ($1,500) is a steal if the interior/exterior is looking an 8/10. With that being said, try to negotiate with the dealership to split that $1,600 90k service. $11,500 + $800 and you have yourself a luxury car that will go another 200,000 miles at a lucky price IMO.
Thanks for your comments. Actually slight correction. Car was listed for $13k my wife spoke with sales person (she is good at negotiating) and she said the manager said they will come down to $11.5k, but yesterday when we were there a different 'manager' showed up and said no less than $12.5k. We had to drive 20miles just to hear that, some Sales tactics. So we left with our bid price at $11.5, I don't think I can get him further down. I will wait if he calls, else might start looking for something else.
Interior is clean 8.5/10. Also noticed yesterday driver side door had slight damage at the bottom and it might be be causing some air seepage in the cabin or at least the noise.

Again, appreciate all of your responses!
Old 06-29-16, 01:37 PM
lr2017
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zapola6
Of course get the best deal you can, use the 90K service as a bargaining chip or make them include it in the purchase price… Almost 4 years ago I bought a 2001 with 121K on it. I’m now over 223K. In that time I have maybe spent $200 on non-maintenance items, a coil pack and oil control valve. My valve covers started to leak, smelled the burning oil, tightened the covers up as the bolts had become loose (finger tight) over time, leak went away. The gaskets may have to be replaced but it will be a race, will the car die first or the gaskets start leaking again… I also had to repair my subwoofer, but in all fairness, AC/DC was on when it went out, so calling that a self-inflicted issue, fixed it myself $75.00. Still on all original suspension to include wheel bearing hubs, are some things getting loose, probably, but I have felt no issues nor do I have any abnormal tire wear. Could I spend money on the suspension, I’m sure I could. But is it really needed and what’s my return on investment.

There has also been a lot of discussion in here about spending money on these cars and over maintaining them. While I am guilty of this to a point, (see radiator below) I am now to a point of only maintaining what I have, it’s down to the point the R.O.I. Value of my car on a good day is probably $5,000 now, but I think it’s probably the best $5,000 used car on the road. I don’t drive it like I stole it, but I have been known to drive it like a rental car from time to time and another story about this 55 year old man and a punk in a Honda civic tuner…..

If this 04 does not have air suspension or navigation , that’s a good thing, you see a lot of people spending a lot of money on repairing 10 plus year old air suspension and nav systems in here. I don’t have air ride or nav and have no experience with either, just going by the expensive threads that I read.

I have done all of my own maintenance, oil changes, brakes, spark plugs, timing belt, and the list goes on, these cars are very easy to work on. Almost all of my cost have been associated with maintenance and not repairs, I did replace my radiator, but that was my choice when I did the timing belt, just a matter of time before a 12 year old plastic radiator will cost a tow bill. With doing my own work I, with the exception of tires and oil changes, I would be hard pressed to have spent over $1,800 in the past 4 years on this car. To me, pretty cheap for 100,000 plus miles

Looks like you have found a decent one, based on mileage looks like it been driven 8,000 per year and dealer maintained. When my 01 dies, which it’s showing no sign of, I will be looking for what you have found. Yes there are expensive things that can go wrong with these cars, from what I have read in here, more the exception than the rule.

My advice, you are buying a $10,000 car, drive it, enjoy it, maintain it, fix what needs to be fixed when it needs to be fixed and it’s only a $10,000 car that someone else paid $60,000 plus for.

Let us know how it works out.
Thanks Zapola6, the dealer listed the car 3-4 days back so I can see why he is hesitant to budge on price, we will wait out a few more days. Will keep you posted. I like Lexus because I think I can trust a used car close to 100K to go another 3-4 years without a major kill.
Old 06-29-16, 03:44 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Each owner of our cars may feel differently on what is necessary to repair on such an old car while others like myself try to keep my car running like a clock regardless of the age. Yes, it is not feasible to keep a 15 year old car as it was new and there lies the conundrum....fix or not fix. When choosing to fix our LS430s and not doing it yourself, it gets fairly expensive. Yes you can work around some issues and live without some repairs. It's entirely up to the individual owner. I like my car as close to perfect as possible which makes me reach deep in my pockets for the last 6 years of ownership for a 15 year old car which now has 124K. However, even with the expenses, it is still a deal for what it is. Yes it's only worth maybe $8500, but there is nothing out there I would exchange my car for..... with such comfort, reliability and classic lines. Your car sounds great, but just understand it's not a "free ride" but a great one!

Last edited by Bocatrip; 06-29-16 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-30-16, 07:00 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

First, figure out the door issue you referenced. Second, drive the car a decent amount at lower speeds. The '04 early models have a bit of an odd shifting at low speeds (I know because my car does it). Ex: Get the car up to about 30 mph, slow down to about 10 mph, then push the gas pedal in and see if there's an odd hesitation from 1st to 2nd gear. Mine does it (always has) so I have learned how to smooth it out a little. My father-in-law had a 2005 and it didn't do it- I think they corrected it on late production year '04's.

Third, I 100% agree with negotiating the price of the 90k service with the dealer (believe you said the car is for sale at a Lexus dealer). The bulk of the "cost" of a 90k service is in labor so the dealer really shouldn't push back too hard if you offer to pay for the parts and they cover the labor. I think that's a fair request in negotiating to buy the car. I would def do the timing belt and also have them do the water pump as well (saves you in future labor cost to do them at same time). I do all of my service at a Toyota dealership because the parts are the same and the labor is cheaper. Plus I lucked out that my Toyota service department has an ex-Lexus tech who is Platinum level. So that may be another option for you to consider if the dealer won't budge- call your local Toyota shop and ask them what they would charge for the service.

Anyway, once you have done the 90k service, you should be worry free for another 90k miles. I have a 2004 and just hit 235k miles last night. These cars are tanks- I don't have air ride or navigation. With the exception of doing things like timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, the transmission service (research that- see if it has been done- if not, see when recommended - there's a thread on here about the sealed transmission service), I have only had to replace a broken actuator in the passenger window.

Bought my '04 in May of 2008 with 70k miles for $22k. Have certainly gotten my money's worth. If the car you're looking at is in good shape and you can negotiate a little on the 90k service, I would absolutely go for it at $11,500. It'll probably end up being $13k out the door including you paying a little of the 90k service or parts.

I don't think there's a huge market for cars this old because the financing options are normally not-so-good or non-existent and that narrows the buying field. I'm actually surprised that a Lexus dealer would have such an old car on the lot. Those of us on the forum know how well these cars will stand up but the rest of the general public may be afraid of the age and mileage.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Buying used low miles 2004 LS 430 Need advice!!-ls.jpg  
lr2017 (01-06-17)
Old 06-30-16, 11:07 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I have found that any local Lexus dealership near me will display any LS430 on their used car lot regardless of the year or mileage. They are so popular here that most get sold fairly quickly as the word has been out for some time about these cars and their reliability. Now that most have depreciated significantly, they are affordable and get sold fairly quickly.
Old 07-02-16, 02:29 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

here in canada id say thats a excellent deal, but in the states they seem to be wayyyy cheaper. Id holdout unless you NEED a new car car. but even at that price, i dont think thats a BAD price by any means.
Old 07-02-16, 06:01 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

You really cannot go wrong with this one. It is not for nothing that so many Service Advisors (and mechanics and so forth) Lexus own LS430's. There are at least three at the dealer I frequent.

Couple in the fact that mainline dealers are loath to keep anything on their lot that is even questionable in regards to condition and when combined with one of the most reliable vehicles extant, and.....

Last edited by Junglequac; 07-02-16 at 06:11 PM.
lr2017 (01-06-17)
Old 07-03-16, 02:26 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I would not pay 12,5000 knowing the t belt needed to be done IF you did not bother keeping looking or could drive. I am spoiled though. I got an 04 premium with all the dealer records in the glove box from a solid small reseller who got it from the auction. I called the owner as phone number was all over his records. I was the first one to call on it before the pictures where on Autotrader. Silver chromes an 04 bought in 08 for $17,000 needed nothing.

Did ya talk to the sales manager about being mislead to get to the dealer to have em up the price? Is it a large group did ya go way to the top? Or tellem to do belt and tranny fluid for 12,500 as jr mentioned
lr2017 (01-06-17)
Old 01-06-17, 02:21 AM
lr2017
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all who replied to my earlier post. So I have been looking and looking for a White LS 430 with clean records for months, finally I find 2004 LS 430 White 98.5k with all dealer records, 2 owners, 1 'accident' reported on carfax but upon looking into Lexus maintenance reports it appears like windshield replacement using insurance. On lot at Mercedes Benz Dealer priced at $13k, I was able to get the price down to $10.5k +Tax and fees. Timing belt and water pump replaced at 90k, Rear passenger side vanity mirror not functioning, clean interior and spotless exterior. I really like the car and drive. Wanted to know opinions if sounds worth a buy or anything I should include in negotiation. Much appreciate your inputs, looking to buy this weekend. Thanks again!
Old 01-06-17, 03:13 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lr2017
Thank you all who replied to my earlier post. So I have been looking and looking for a White LS 430 with clean records for months, finally I find 2004 LS 430 White 98.5k with all dealer records, 2 owners, 1 'accident' reported on carfax but upon looking into Lexus maintenance reports it appears like windshield replacement using insurance. On lot at Mercedes Benz Dealer priced at $13k, I was able to get the price down to $10.5k +Tax and fees. Timing belt and water pump replaced at 90k, Rear passenger side vanity mirror not functioning, clean interior and spotless exterior. I really like the car and drive. Wanted to know opinions if sounds worth a buy or anything I should include in negotiation. Much appreciate your inputs, looking to buy this weekend. Thanks again!
I would most likely pass. Especially if the "dealer fees" are high as they can be up to $700 (and maybe more) depending on the state. The fact that it is at a MB dealer speaks well to its condition and the vanity could well just be a lightbulb.

If interested and able to get a price you can live with, I would take it to the best collision shop in your area to have the repair looked at. Whatever/however, should you decide to beat it on down the line, the first thing people ask is if it has been in an accident. Might be 1b with mileage being the first question.

If looking at around a $12,000 budget, I would be looking for a 2004+ one owner with full service records. It might require you to take a drive to get it, but what is a few hours in a car you could potentially be spending thousands in?
lr2017 (01-08-17)
Old 01-06-17, 06:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
I would most likely pass. Especially if the "dealer fees" are high as they can be up to $700 (and maybe more) depending on the state. The fact that it is at a MB dealer speaks well to its condition and the vanity could well just be a lightbulb.

If interested and able to get a price you can live with, I would take it to the best collision shop in your area to have the repair looked at. Whatever/however, should you decide to beat it on down the line, the first thing people ask is if it has been in an accident. Might be 1b with mileage being the first question.

If looking at around a $12,000 budget, I would be looking for a 2004+ one owner with full service records. It might require you to take a drive to get it, but what is a few hours in a car you could potentially be spending thousands in?
My feeling is that carfax can be clean, yet the car has had accidents, they even state that, and I've seen "clean" LS that have been repaired. On the other hand, I don't personally believe there can be accidents on the carfax, that never happened. Anything is possible, but knowing what I know about body work, accident = no dice for me. It just so happened that the day I went to look at my LS, it was a clear sunny day. When the sun is shining on the car, and it is clean, even an amateur is going to be able to spot every ding/dent and and any bodywork (moonlight pearl imho not easily sprayed, heck they can't even do black onxy). As far as I know, my car has only 2 dings, and has never been repainted (and it does have a couple scrapes on the plastic front).....my ,02. When a car gets hit, it becomes, what can you do when it's yours.....but why buy someone else's....
lr2017 (01-08-17)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying used low miles 2004 LS 430 Need advice!!