LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2002 LS430 UL - Nav blank - other things work on Screen… Help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-16, 09:26 PM
Gitbox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 LS430 UL - Nav blank - other things work on Screen… Help?

Hello! Short intro and a question:

2002 LS430 UL with all the bells & whistles and recently the Nav went dark on the screen, while everything else still works on the screen (audio, A/C, Heat ++). I have searched and read so many threads here about screens needing repair/replacing including removing it and re-soldering the contacts/lines, but my screen appears to be working fine - it is just the Navigation that stopped showing up on the screen.

It's all original Navigation system as far as I know. The only thing I've done about 6 months ago was ordered in a newer DVD from a link I got here to update the maps. I changed that out based on the thread here and it seemed to work fine, until recently it began to go blank for brief periods and then would come back on. Now, it's quit altogether. The DVD is NOT OEM from Lexus - any chance that is the culprit? If not…

Help?! I'm decent at repairing just about anything on a vehicle, so if anyone can point me in the right direction to diagnose / repair this, I would be very grateful!!
Old 06-05-18, 07:50 PM
mhussien32
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for bumping this thread...
But I have the same EXACT issue on my LS, everything is working fine (AC, Radio, Tape..etc). However, the navigation button does nothing.
anyone faced the same?
Old 06-06-18, 02:31 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I would take out the disk and put it back in. Thats what IT tells me to do at work, lol.
The following users liked this post:
mhussien32 (06-06-18)
Old 06-06-18, 05:28 AM
johnnylt
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me on my 2005 , unfortunately it was the Navigation DVD player located in the trunk ,very easy to get out , it had to be replaced ,so I suggest open the trunk with the car running or on acc power and listen if you can hear the player spinning or if the door opens . I was very lucky to find a guy close by that had a Navi unit from a 2008 Prius which had the same identical serial number on it as the LS he was only asking $250.00 for it all the plugs matched up perfect and I bolted back in the trunk started up the LS and everything worked fine again ,Even the left door speaker started working again , I heard that stops if theres a problem with the Navi .So good luck on this I would even search Ebay and Amazon there out there , I checked with the dealer ,brand new it was like 4,000K something crazy
The following users liked this post:
mhussien32 (06-06-18)
Old 06-06-18, 10:44 AM
mhussien32
Rookie

Originally Posted by johnnylt
I had the same thing happen to me on my 2005 , unfortunately it was the Navigation DVD player located in the trunk ,very easy to get out , it had to be replaced ,so I suggest open the trunk with the car running or on acc power and listen if you can hear the player spinning or if the door opens . I was very lucky to find a guy close by that had a Navi unit from a 2008 Prius which had the same identical serial number on it as the LS he was only asking $250.00 for it all the plugs matched up perfect and I bolted back in the trunk started up the LS and everything worked fine again ,Even the left door speaker started working again , I heard that stops if theres a problem with the Navi .So good luck on this I would even search Ebay and Amazon there out there , I checked with the dealer ,brand new it was like 4,000K something crazy
Thanks so much for the response
I tried what you've suggested before, But the dvd is completely dead, I cannot even eject or insert any DVD inside, But honestly I thought that will cause it to at least show some error on the screen, something like "wrong dvd..error reading dvd... bla bla" , Not just a black dull screen.
So, If it's all about the DVD, it's will not be a big deal, the LS430 scrape yards here in UAE are so cheap, such part I can get for around $100 or so..
even the whole engine is for around $170
Old 06-07-18, 10:17 AM
mhussien32
Rookie

happy update!
- It turns out to be the dvd player in the trunk, I met one of my friends with a GS430, his dvd player is the exact same like mine, I plugged it in, and everything came back to work perfectly!