LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 Sport Suspension technical review

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-17, 02:31 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I would have loved for my car to have had it....I actually don't want to spend any more money, and just cruise for 2 years...but eventually when I need shocks I'll get the sport OEM since they are a tad cheaper than regular OEM. I haven't had a good experience with aftermarket KYB on my Maxima, so I won't do that, rather pay double for OEM. I could never understand not getting a sport package on a German car. It would be like $1200, and everybody would say for the seats alone it's worth it, but you also get the shocks the sway bars the springs the external oil cooler the top speed bumped from 130 to 155, then staggered summer tires 255/225 vs. 225 all around. Who in their right mind would not spend that $1200? The majority lol. I told this to my sis in-law who got a '17 A4, nope, she refused to get the sport package.... again, on German cars, worth it for just the sport seats, all the rest is like gravy on Thanksgiving Day...
Old 03-12-17, 09:49 AM
Ecohman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oversteer
Sure:
Front Sport Struts: 48510-80307 $133.11
Rear Sport Struts: 48530-80241 $66.40
This PN is for 01-03 cars, and there is a different and more expensive PN for 04 - 06. Obviously these fit Oversteer's 04, and aftermarket shocks fit 01-06. Sure do wonder what the difference is?
Old 03-12-17, 10:03 AM
Ecohman
Driver

Default Sport Upper Control Arms

I rencently became the proud owner of a 06 LS430. It came with 18" wheels, but not the rest of the sport package. I am going to make similar mods as Oversteer. Besides springs shocks and rear sway bar, it looks like the upper control arms are different on sport package. Not sure of the difference, but suspect they are longer to compensate for camber with the lower springs. Anyone know for sure? Good news is many of the aftermarket companies like Doorman, make w/ sport package arms. My plan is:
  • Tanabe NF210 springs
  • Lexus sport pack rear sway bar & bushings
  • KYB shocks
  • Doorman sport pack upper control arms
Old 03-12-17, 11:23 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks Oversteer and the other posts. Anyone have suggests on a good tire for an LS w/ Sports? Stock 18's. Recently drove an 04 w/ Goodyear Eagles. Old tires but the ride was pretty harsh. Local dealer suggested Michelin Pilots as a good balance of comfort and performance. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being comfortable touring, 1 being full on performance), I'm looking for something in the middle range.
Old 03-12-17, 12:51 PM
Ecohman
Driver

Lots of choices in tires. Michelins came on my car. I have Hankooks on my wife's SC. Tire Rack does a good job with tire data.
Old 03-13-17, 08:12 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of choices indeed. Michelin Pilots came on my '05 and the handling seemed to be perfect with the Sport Suspension on a car like this. Once these tires needed replacement I went to Michelin Primacy's and the ride became softer because of the higher sidewall. Still handles flat but just plusher. I would recommend the Pilots as I think they work well together.
Old 03-13-17, 08:47 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by LSGarry
Lots of choices indeed. Michelin Pilots came on my '05 and the handling seemed to be perfect with the Sport Suspension on a car like this. Once these tires needed replacement I went to Michelin Primacy's and the ride became softer because of the higher sidewall. Still handles flat but just plusher. I would recommend the Pilots as I think they work well together.
Thanks for feedback. When I change tires, it will probably be Pilots. Local tire dealer's suggest too. Also Michelin has a 1x no cost exchange policy. If I don't like ride/feel of Pilots, can exchange to something else. Currently running Premiers which are plush (good word).
Old 06-03-17, 03:35 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Put in an order for some new tires. Michelin Pilot Super Sport, 245/45/18.

Wanting to add OEM sports rear sway bar, can someone please provide me the correct part number? Along with the bushings?

Also, is there a "sport" version of the front sway bar? Part numbers for part and bushings for that one as well?
Old 06-04-17, 06:47 AM
forthewin
Rookie

The Lexus OEM Rear Sport Sway Bar is 1mm bigger than stock.
I have Ultra Racing rear,19mm which is 5mm larger.
It has made a big difference.
Lexus did not offer a Sport Front, Ultra Racing does offer one.
I bought Polyurethane front bushing to use with OEM bar. It helped tied up the front a bit.
Old 07-02-17, 11:23 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

OK from this thread what parts do I need and where do I get them. OEM struts, Monroe, KYB? Tanabe springs? don't really want to be lowered. Who makes OEM Lexus springs. Sorry to be so lame but this has gotten pretty confusing but I see a few of you posted on this thread, thanks a bunch want to get this done before I need 1000 bucks worth of tires. Pretty sure thats why my last Pilots wore out, but my snows aren't wearing same way but they are wearing in middle and it is hard to keep up on snows, pressure temps fluctuate so much in winter. Thanks so much.
Old 07-02-17, 12:14 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...odel=&Filter=()

So are the fronts same part and who is OEmM amnufacturer anyone knows?
Old 07-02-17, 12:21 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts-...tml?PNC=48231A

OK so I am figuring it out gonna get this done, whats "rough road package".
Old 07-02-17, 05:16 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by warminwisc
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts-...tml?PNC=48231A

OK so I am figuring it out gonna get this done, whats "rough road package".
Old rock hard tires that should have been replaced 1k miles ago.
Old 07-27-17, 08:44 AM
hippchip
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sport struts

Originally Posted by oversteer
I just upgraded my LS430 with the Lexus OEM Sport Struts, the OEM Lexus Sport Swaybar and the Tanabe NF210 Springs and I thought I might provide a little insight I haven’t seen on here yet.

First a little background on me. I started racing cars when I was 15 and eventually headed to Europe for a year to race Formula Renault and then signed with Hooters and came back to the states to race here for a while. After retiring professionally, I raced in the SCCA and won a couple of regional championships and went on to be a racing instructor. The bottom line is I've been around performance cars for all my driving life and have had many "exotics" but I've driven LSs for the past 20 years as my daily drivers.

I've always been a little disappointed in how much the LS rolls in its USA factory default but never could find a Sport model when I've been in the market to buy and just kinda let upgrading it slide down the priority list. A couple of weeks ago though, I noticed that Lexus was blowing out the OEM Sport struts and a full set of four delivered was only $359 so I jumped on it. I figured I might as well get the Tanabe springs since I'd have to remove the old ones to change struts and then I just figured I might as well put the sway bar on too.
I did the whole swap in an afternoon and here are a few observations:

1) Whenever I see anything about the Sport struts they just say they are “stiffer” without any more detail. Since I had both the Standard and Sport side by side I thought I could clarify a little about the difference. From a bump perspective they seemed fairly similar although without a shock dyno there is no way to tell for sure. What was VERY obvious though was the rebound. The Standard strut had absolutely no rebound resistance and practically sprang back to the extended position. The Sport strut on the other hand had considerable rebound resistance which explains a lot about the handling characteristics. (See below)

2) For me, the Tanabe NF210s were absolutely perfect. I was a little worried that they might not be noticeable from a stiffness perspective since they only advertise 10% stiffer over stock and I was worried the car might look too low for my taste. I was wrong on both counts. The NF210s were just barely lower but looked perfect. My wife didn’t even notice the car was lower but my 12 year old son did. It really just closes up the wheel well without making a dramatic statement. Also, the rate seems much more than 10% but that was fine by me.

3) Since I changed springs, struts and swaybar all at once I can’t comment on the swaybar by itself but the rear is floating around less so I’m sure it’s playing a good part. I can confirm that stock is 13mm and sport is 14mm.

On actually driving, the whole package made a huge difference in my mind and I’m sorry that I waited so long to make the change. I tend not to slow down as much as other drivers for corners and I always felt a little uncomfortable in the LS because there was so much body roll that I always felt like everyone could see I was on two wheels every time I took a corner. With the new setup that is gone. I would say the body roll is far less than half what it was before. More importantly though is how the car takes a set. As you transition off the brakes and turn into the corner, the car is much more stable with less movement. I’m sure that is the difference in the strut rebound keeping the inside of the car from lifting so quickly and transferring the weight to the outside. Once the car takes the set, the springs and swaybars significantly reduce the amount of body roll and the cornering speed is up and you can transition back on the throttle earlier. Overall a huge win. I know a lot of people in here would cringe at me saying this but it feels much more like the 7 series handling but in my mind that’s a good thing.

How did you get $359? the best price I can get with code CL5 is $410
Old 07-27-17, 05:30 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

The 2004 Lexus produced the "Euro-Tuned Sport Suspension with 18* Wheels" as an available option for $220. It was available on all models except the "Ultra Luxury" (UL), which included "Adaptive Variable Air Suspension". Very little is mentioned about the UL suspension in this forum, except for complaints that the air suspension fails and is expensive to replace. Do people realize that the UL suspension has a "normal" and "sport" suspension available at the touch of a button? The "sport" mode firms up the suspension for those desiring a stiffer suspension. It can be used constantly if desired. Isn't this the best of all worlds, having a variable suspension? I personally find it very nice. Just saying.

Quick Reply: LS430 Sport Suspension technical review