ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006-158/)
-   -   The Michelin Tire Review Thread (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/803401-the-michelin-tire-review-thread.html)

warminwisc 11-17-15 08:33 PM

Pilots are cheaper, its almost a wash versus premier and now its a drivers car not a boaty cruiser.

warminwisc 11-17-15 08:37 PM

243 premier $ versus pilot 192 $ tire rack.

Lavrishevo 11-18-15 06:04 AM

Is that in the 18" warm? STS will put the V rated Premiers on my 17's for just $720 installed.

Bob04 11-18-15 07:45 AM

I've got over 10K miles on my 17" V-rated Premiers and I absolutely love them. Very quiet and comfortable. Fantastic in the rain too.

SW17LS 11-18-15 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by warminwisc (Post 9256019)
The second driver said it best"it transformer the way the car felt, it did not even feel like the same car"

Unless you want it to feel like a Lexus LS ;)

warminwisc 11-18-15 12:51 PM

Lav, 245/45/18. You give up nothing to the Mxv4 h or v. I drive 100 miles every day still marvel at the change with Sport Susp. I bet reg Susp is huge improvement. 30 dayPromise guarantee.

I went up a ski lift with a Michelin tester in Houghton they get 250 plus inches a year I mentioned the Primacy he yawned and really liked the Pilot series

Promise stop pushing theses tires they all are quality

Lavrishevo 11-18-15 02:13 PM

I totally agree that Michelin makes the best tires overall. The MXV4's are a favorite because of their reputation for quality and longevity. You will loose tire life going to a 18" and up no matter what. I think some feel the Premiers may not last as long as the MXV4's. I don't doubt they wear a bit better when it comes to traction. Time will tell. As far as the Pilots go, I bet you will be lucky to see 35k before needing another set. But if performance is what people want then this is a good choice.

SW17LS 11-18-15 04:12 PM

You give up some ride comfort and noise isolation with the Pilots vs the MXV4 or Premier.

I'm shopping for tires for the 460 and immediately crossed them off the list, they just aren't the sort of tire that accentuates the characteristics of the LS that made me buy it. If I wanted a sportier drive I would have bought a sporty car. There are several people on the 460 board that have them (sizes are harder on the 460 vs the 430, you guys have more options) and they've well documented the fact that the car rides firmer and isn't as quiet on the AS/3s.

warminwisc 11-18-15 05:15 PM

[QUOTE=SW15LS;9258079]You give up some ride comfort and noise isolation with the Pilots vs the MXV4 or Premier.

I'm shopping for tires for the 460 and immediately crossed them off the list, they just aren't the sort of tire that accentuates the characteristics of the LS that made me buy it. If I wanted a sportier drive I would have bought a sporty car. There are several people on the 460 board that have them (sizes are harder on the 460 vs the 430, you guys have more options) and they've well documented the fact that the car rides firmer and isn't as quiet on the AS/3s.[/QUOTE
You drive a 460. Ever drive anA8?

How glad I am it has made my car relatively "smoking" hot. Still prefer my Touareg TDI/Cayenne copy. What ya got to worry with 30 day promise guarantee trade. I never drove the premier or 460 but yur buddies want coffin quiet floaty ride keep yur mxv4 I noticed only improvement. I am 56 maybe hearing is compromises. Listen to the link you think they are payed off? Just a car I smile you guys sleep

warminwisc 11-18-15 05:19 PM

[QUOTE=warminwisc;9258152]

Originally Posted by SW15LS (Post 9258079)
You give up some ride comfort and noise isolation with the Pilots vs the MXV4 or Premier.

I'm shopping for tires for the 460 and immediately crossed them off the list, they just aren't the sort of tire that accentuates the characteristics of the LS that made me buy it. If I wanted a sportier drive I would have bought a sporty car. There are several people on the 460 board that have them (sizes are harder on the 460 vs the 430, you guys have more options) and they've well documented the fact that the car rides firmer and isn't as quiet on the AS/3s.[/QUOTE

How glad I am it has made my car relatively "smoking" hot. Still prefer my Touareg TDI/Cayenne copy. What ya got to worry with 30 day promise guarantee trade. I never drove the premier or 460 but yur buddies want coffin quiet floaty ride keep yur mxv4 I noticed only improvement. I am 56 maybe hearing is compromises. Listen to the link you think they are payed off? Just a car I smile you guys sleep

SW17LS 11-18-15 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by warminwisc (Post 9258152)

Yes, and if I wanted a sportier flagship sized car thats quite possibly what I would get. But, I didn't want an A8, I wanted a soft riding very quiet non sporty LS. To buy the LS and then put sport tires on it that don't do a whole lot to make up for its soft suspension and sloppy handling yet diminish what it does so well, which is ride really well and very quietly doesn't make sense IMHO.

Even with the 30 day ride guarantee, I still have to go have them mounted and dismounted, and my time is the most valuable thing to me...when I know they're not going to be what I want.

They work for you and thats great, but you always run around thumping on them and saying dismissive and denigrating things to those who "sleep" and if you want the "coffin ride", whats wrong with simply acknowledging that they work for you but theres another viewpoint?

warminwisc 11-18-15 07:04 PM

"that don't do a whole lot to make up for the soft suspension"" are ya listening to me and the reviews "I" am racing around in my LS!

I digress you want a smooth quiet ride alot of people do. Maybe it is not as quiet as the Premier? I drive with my music on. Unless ya driven A/S 3 personally on an LS not sure where yur coming from, "smokin "hot. Seems like no one else has either so I understand, everything is about minimal cost per mile, different crowd than the A8 I guess is fine.

SW17LS 11-18-15 07:09 PM

We've talked about this. I think you over emphasize the impact tires have on how your LS handles. Tires cannot make up for the dynamic realities of this car. It's a heavy pig.

I don't have to have driven one with them to know what the tradeoffs are because I know how those tradeoffs work. I don't want to race around". If I did I wouldn't have bought this car, I would have kept my GS, which is a car those tires would have an impact on.

jpv7774 11-18-15 07:25 PM

There are other MXV4 threads that went on for many many pages. I read every single page. The consensus was that for our cars the MXV4 was the best tire made......at that time. I am sure this thread will note the same end result. These tire threads can get sketchy real fast...I am very happy to be free of mine. Enjoy the thread......an y'all play nice :)

Jabberwock 11-18-15 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by jpv7774 (Post 9258333)
There are other MXV4 threads that went on for many many pages. I read every single page. The consensus was that for our cars the MXV4 was the best tire made......at that time. I am sure this thread will note the same end result. These tire threads can get sketchy real fast...I am very happy to be free of mine. Enjoy the thread......an y'all play nice :)

Indeed...helpful people providing multiple viewpoints (and sometimes diverging opinions) in civilized discourse makes this board a wonderful source of information.