LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

West Coast LS430 Tire Selection

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-15, 07:16 PM
Ron10346
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default West Coast LS430 Tire Selection

I am researching new tires for my 2005 LS430. I found threads that are dated or exceptionally long making it difficult to quickly extract helpful or current information. Much of what I read also had an emphasis on east cost snow / extreme weather driving, helpful but not as relevant to the typical warm weather conditions in California. So, I’m starting a tire tread from the west coast to generate some contemporary input for tires suitable for, specifically… the LS430. I’m hoping to generate insight from “LS430 owners” who can attest to a tires performance on this specific vehicle in dryer conditions and… the opinions of others that have tire selection knowledge.

That all said, here is a perspective and my experience with the 2005 LS430… My trim line is comparable to the Ultra Luxury with 18” chrome wheels. I live in No.Cal. and after the factory tires, the local dealer replaced them with Dunlop Direzza DZ101, P245/45R18 96W. Initially they were quiet and performed well however, after six months the tires were cupped and caused a loud road noise. The car was realigned and the dealer replaced these tires with Dunlop SP5000M, P245/45R18 96V.

The SP5000M tires only lasted 19 months (19k miles) and wore out. At that point I had lost faith in the dealers chose of tire and did my own research and came up with the Michelin Primacy MXV4 96V. This tire has been outstanding from day one!! Very smooth ride, very quiet and zero problems. These tires have been on the car over 5 years with 52,000 miles. Although there is still viable tread remaining, cracking & splitting was found between the tread during a recent service.

So here I am; what is the next tire? I would use the Michelin MXV4 again but told it is discontinued. My selection priority is for a smooth and quiet ride on dry roads. The A/S feature is a welcome consideration for the occasional rainy days we do get… Snow is not an issue. The MXV4 has been a great tire on my car and gave me a perfect level of comfort and driving performance. I am hoping to find something comparable or better.

Here is the current tire lineup that I am now looking at in no particular order, however; my MXV4 experience makes me lean towards the Michelin brand:
• Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus 100V, 70k Warranty.
• Michelin Premier A/S, 100V, 60k Warranty.
• Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, 100Y, 45k Warranty. This is an OEM suggested tire.

Although I found a wide range of comments regarding all of these tires on various cars, there was very little input specifically from LS430 owners. So here’s the questions… Does anyone with an LS430 have experience with the tires I have listed or did you recently purchase any other tire you can provide feedback on, good or bad? If you have a tire on your LS430 that you like and would recommend, or a tire you dislike and would not recommend, please share and tell us why?

Last edited by Ron10346; 10-06-15 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-05-15, 10:17 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Yokohama YK580's are great--smooth, quiet. Mine lasted almost 45k on 17" wheels. cheap too! at Discount Tire only.
Old 10-05-15, 04:14 PM
Galco
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The looong tread you mentioned goes into great detail on the comparison between Pirrelli P7 and Mich Premier. Suggest you give it another chance. I too live in California, and am most interested in the same ride characteristics you have listed. Therefore, my plan is to go P7, as it is one of the highest overall rated tires i have seen on tirerack.com and based on specific reviews i have read here as well.

I doubt if you could go wrong with the Mich Premier, but the cost is higher than the P7.

Hope this helps
Old 10-06-15, 09:00 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The Michelin and P7 will give you the most comfortable compliant ride. The Pilots are going to be sporty and have a comfortable compliant ride. All three are either 1 or 2 in thier class on Tire Rack. I have had 5 different sets of tires on 2 ls's. I went from the Primacy to the current Pilots wish I would have known about them sooner but they came out mid 013. They just hug the road.

Get the Pilots they are cheaper than the Premier but a 45k warrantee, then trade em back in 30 days if you do not like them.
Old 10-06-15, 09:03 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the v's. They are cheaper than the Premiers by 25 percent. There is yur warrantee difference.
Old 10-06-15, 11:33 PM
DealWithIt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got Continental ControlContact AS tires on a 02 LS430. It's a noticeable difference, because Seattle rains like everyday so something with a good contact patch is what we are looking for. Not much of a difference in ride though.

If you are looking for ride, gotta go with the Primacys (old name MXV4), but get the extra cost ones, they have better ride.
Old 10-07-15, 08:06 PM
jamsvet
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny this should come up. I've got an 03 that I bought 20k ago. At that time, I was going from an 02 with Michelin MX4s. We put the 03on MX4s now I'm buying an 04 and am going to swap the MX4s for the Newer Yokohama's the one I'm buying has. Those tires are way to aggressive for the 430. BTW they both have 17's. 17's have a taller sidewall that helps with ride.

Last edited by jamsvet; 10-07-15 at 08:07 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-07-15, 08:36 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default west coast tire selection

I saw there is quite a difference between the Pirelli P7 and the Pirelli P7plus
From the specs the P7plus seems to be a better tire.
There were some comments made on the bottom of TireRacks P7plus specs
Some were complaining that the given mileage rating was totally wrong. Will Pirelli honor the warranty? Who knows, they always come up with excuses and blame the owner for it.
That did not happen with Michelin
Old 02-18-20, 06:18 AM
clang1875
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 on 17" OEM wheels and can go through any snow / ice condition with confidence. Yes, they are a little louder than A/S tires, which can be expected. I live in Cleveland - so we get our fair share of snow. I put them on around Thanksgiving - and take them off sometime early March.
Old 02-18-20, 08:20 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I’ve had the same problem when they discontinued the best tire Michelin ever made......the Primacy MXV4. Since then I’ve tried the P7s only to return them after 1,000 miles. Although very quiet they had absolutely NO ROAD FEEL WITH THE CAR WANDERING ALL OVER THE ROAD. I went with the Michelin Primacy MXM4s and couldn’t be happier. Although they are not up to the standards of the discontinued MXV4s they do have superb dry and wet road handling characteristics. One thing to be noted.....they do wear quickly but I’m fine with it as I drive 7,000 mikes a year with all city driving. They are reasonably quiet. I’m planning on getting them again when the time comes. I purchased them at Costco so will probably get a proration on the new ones. As far as the Premiers go....I’m not buying a tire that starts off new with 8.5 32nds of tread depth. Good luck with your decision.