LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Anyone using a Fumoto oil valve?

Old 08-08-15, 06:06 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Anyone using a Fumoto oil valve?

I picked up a Fumoto oil drain valve (F103N) and 10ft of tubing as well as some rhino ramps last month. I have not installed it yet as I have only 4200 miles since the last synthetic oil change. They have excellent ratings and talk about a mess free way to change the oil. Just thought I would share and see if anyone else has used this product before.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003UT...e2L&ref=plSrch

Old 08-08-15, 06:32 PM
WillK
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used them before but I'm too impatient with them. It takes quite awhile for the oil to drain. What will you be doing with the tubing?
Old 08-08-15, 06:49 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hmm looks like you loose ground clearance with that installed
Old 08-08-15, 07:03 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

The version I got has the nipple. Tube over nipple and then tube to oil container. Obviously I will cut it to length. When I do my next oil change I will measure the difference for ground clearance if really any. When is the last time heve head of someone damaging a pan over ground clearance on the 430? I have never heard of this. If you lower the car this is a different story...
Old 08-08-15, 08:22 PM
WillK
Rookie

I ran it on my is, previously on a TL, Sequioa and 4 Runners. Never had an issue. It takes at least twice the normal drain time.

Can't you just slide your oil catch pan under the car? I would think the tube would slow things down if you're using gravity to drain.
Old 08-08-15, 08:27 PM
volson
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought you weren't supposed to use ramps for the oil change because some of the old oil doesn't come out due to the angle.
Old 08-08-15, 08:34 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I don't mind waiting for the drain. I can work on other things in the mean time. The tube size is that of the outer diameter of the nipple and I plan on using a different container to catch the oil vs the regular tray. For instance, like a large plastic jug with a screw top. This makes it easier for me to transport for recycling purposes. I have never liked how dirty and nasty the oil drain containers get and will leak or splash. I doubt the tube will slow it down but just a hair.
Old 08-08-15, 08:38 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by volson
I thought you weren't supposed to use ramps for the oil change because some of the old oil doesn't come out due to the angle.
The drain plug is at the back of the pan. No problem using ramps. If anything, just like doing the transmission this way your will get more old oil out vs being flat.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-09-15 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-09-15, 08:28 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

I have installed another brand called EzOil.
I have installed it on the last oil chang so can't commnet on it personally, but read lots of reviews on that was mostly positive..
If you lift the front of the vehicle and the drean is on the back of the sump then you will be dreaming more oil & slitly faster. If the drain is on 1 side of the sump then I would lift the side opens it to the drain.
Old 08-09-15, 08:52 AM
Lac
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed Fumoto drain valve about a month ago. Had slow leak due to defective locking mechanism. Contacted Customer Support and got the following message on the same day.
" We will pack and ship out a replacement F103S to go out via
USPS either today or tomorrow. We have received a few rare instances
where the ball lock mechanism is defective, but not enough to be wary
of."
Old 08-09-15, 08:59 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

One thing on the EzOil drean I like is you can get a plastic plug that fits the end or a rubber cap on the neple end for extra assurance.
Old 08-09-15, 03:14 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

C'mon LAV! Did u hack my ebay and amazon accounts!? I picked up a Fumoto valve a week ago, but for my F150!.

I haven't installed it yet though. On a separate note, the drain bolt on the F150 points to the passenger side, not to the rear. With the bolt removed, she sprays hot oil allllllllll over the sway bar. Of course, now the sway bar drips from every inch of it. Of course, the SPLASH from spraying onto the sway bar gets onto the front passenger tire. A 5'x5' cardboard sheet is barely big enough to protect the driveway from the absolutely ridiculous spraying mess from the horribly designed drain bolt location. In my 30+ years of doing oil changes, I've never ever wanted to just take a vehicle to a oil change shop, until NOW!!!!

My solution is to install the Fomoto on the F150. Everyone on the F150 Ecoboost forums says it's the 1st thing a new owner should do. And they're right!!!

Anyway....here's a pic of a Fomoto for my F150. I also opted for the 'nipple' option so I can connect a drain hose to it. Fumoto also has an optional rubber cap that goes over the nipple. Not really useful unless you want to prevent any dirt, etc, finding its way into the nipple, if your intention is sending your oil away to be analyzed.

Fumoto also has a black plastic insert clip thingy (which I bought), that prevents the valve from being opened accidentally. As is, it takes an intentional action to open the valve (push & turn), but I wanted 100% assurance the valve wouldn't be pushed open by ANYTHING, like snow, etc. The black plastic clip puts a physical barrier in the gap so the valve can't be turned without first removing the black plastic clip.

Old 08-09-15, 03:22 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

That's hilarious. Great minds think alike. Nice truck. I like the Tundra 1794 edition too. Just terrible mileage though.
Old 08-09-15, 06:21 PM
WillK
Rookie

I lost my nipples. Each and everyone of them- gone...

If you want to do a an oil sample, simply wipe the nipple off before you drain fluid. Having the Fumoto is very nice to drain the oil from low sitting cars. I can literally reach under my IS350 and open the valve without jacking the car up.
Old 08-09-15, 08:38 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I used one on my 2011 Subaru Forester which I sold about a year ago. It was fine but, honestly, it just didn't make oil changes THAT much easier to make it worthwhile to me. I wouldn't bother to put it on anymore of my cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone using a Fumoto oil valve?