LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-15, 08:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,970 Posts

It is a PIG in the snow on all season tires. Its almost funny how terrible they are in the snow.

With winter tires however, they are very capable. Where you live OP, winter tires are a must.

Yes, a car from CA, FL, will be the same as NY, etc. No AWD on the LS until 2009 in the LS460.
Old 07-22-15, 07:21 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard only good things about winter tires. Namely that having a set can yield traction that surpasses that of a 4-wheel drive on all-seasons.

Fortunately, I work only 6 miles from home and never need to take a freeway in between. So I've avoided the extra cost of snow tires. But I may go on ahead and get a pair this winter.

QUESTION for you winter tire users: Do you run on rears only, or all fours? Any tire store worth it's salt will try to make you feel like you're committing a cardinal sin by installing them on the rears only. But I know that my driving needs are more centered around acceleration (rear wheels) than emergency braking and steering (front wheels). Just trying to keep from dropping $1,200 for a set of four...
Old 07-22-15, 05:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SuperCoupe400;9122433
[B
QUESTION for you winter tire users: Do you run on rears only, or all fours?[/B] Any tire store worth it's salt will try to make you feel like you're committing a cardinal sin by installing them on the rears only. But I know that my driving needs are more centered around acceleration (rear wheels) than emergency braking and steering (front wheels). Just trying to keep from dropping $1,200 for a set of four...
You COULD...it would be like driving a vehicle with chains, but IMHO having that great a traction differential between the axles is extremely dangerous. Also remember that winter tires are not just about snow, they're about temperature. Your front all season tires will be hard and have no traction at temps where the winter tires would be in their zone, and the opposite would happen when it gets warmer.

Is your safety not worth an extra $300 or so? Gotta think smart here.

Once you drive the car on winter tires in your climate in the snow you will be hooked. I'd rather have a RWD LS430 on winter tires than an AWD Range Rover on all seasons any day.
Old 07-22-15, 06:47 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sw15ls
it is a pig in the snow on all season tires. Its almost funny how terrible they are in the snow.

With winter tires however, they are very capable. Where you live op, winter tires are a must.

Yes, a car from ca, fl, will be the same as ny, etc. No awd on the ls until 2009 in the ls460.
........ +1
Old 07-23-15, 04:40 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You COULD...it would be like driving a vehicle with chains, but IMHO having that great a traction differential between the axles is extremely dangerous. Also remember that winter tires are not just about snow, they're about temperature. Your front all season tires will be hard and have no traction at temps where the winter tires would be in their zone, and the opposite would happen when it gets warmer.

Is your safety not worth an extra $300 or so? Gotta think smart here.

Once you drive the car on winter tires in your climate in the snow you will be hooked. I'd rather have a RWD LS430 on winter tires than an AWD Range Rover on all seasons any day.

I agree with you. The LS is almost a good winter car when on winter tires on ALL 4 corners. Start handicapping yourself by putting winters on rear only or on front only and you now handicap the car as well as your own safety. I run Blizzaks in winter and it makes driving in the north midwest winter a much easier task.
Old 07-25-15, 09:50 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

I have all season tires on my car and make it through winter fine. . I put about 200 pounds of sand bags in the trunk to weight it down a little. Found it makes a world of a difference because there is no weight in the rear of the car.

As my years have gone with this LS, I know once it goes over the wheel wells, don't care, your not going anywhere....
Old 07-25-15, 04:54 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperCoupe400
I've heard only good things about winter tires. Namely that having a set can yield traction that surpasses that of a 4-wheel drive on all-seasons.

Fortunately, I work only 6 miles from home and never need to take a freeway in between. So I've avoided the extra cost of snow tires. But I may go on ahead and get a pair this winter.

QUESTION for you winter tire users: Do you run on rears only, or all fours? Any tire store worth it's salt will try to make you feel like you're committing a cardinal sin by installing them on the rears only. But I know that my driving needs are more centered around acceleration (rear wheels) than emergency braking and steering (front wheels). Just trying to keep from dropping $1,200 for a set of four...
The LS430 is a rear wheel drive car. When you accelerate the weight will go to the back tires. When you brake, the weight will go to the front tires. If you only have winter tires on either the front or rear, either starting or stopping will suffer. I do not think this is a wise route to go. In fact poor braking during snowy weather is more likely to lead to a catastrophic accident that could scrap your car or kill someone else. What I would do is look at the specials at the Tire Rack during the winter season. I bet you can get a set of four good winters for less than 800 dollars. This is not one of those things you want to skimp out on if you live in a snowy area. Trust me it makes a huge difference! Also, on the bright side, with two sets of tires you will wear them out half as fast.

Last edited by Arcturus; 07-25-15 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-25-15, 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The only thing connecting your car to the road is your tires. Not the place to cheap out...
Old 07-25-15, 05:11 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperCoupe400

You can get Bridgestone Blizzaks WS80s (excellent tire) P225/55/R17 for $136 each at the Tire Rack. That's $544 for a set of 4. Throw in around $60-80 for mounting and balancing and its around half of your quoted figure of $1200.
Old 07-26-15, 04:41 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Xice3 and SW80 one and 2 on TR. Michelin will toss out 70 dollar rebates every quarter. See it much less often for the Bridgy's. Xice3 are super quiet as I bet the Bridgys are. Guys at the dealer run the General Articmax they are 100 bucks each and go on rebate also.
Old 07-26-15, 11:35 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for feedback, all. If i do decide to get them, I'll go on ahead and get a full set. Guess I'll start saving now.
Old 07-26-15, 06:01 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Michelin X-ice are terrific. A set of 4 and the LS drives much better in snow than a heavier, front-wheel drive Sienna with new All-Season Michelin Premier tires. I've had the X-ice only 2 winters and wish I'd done it sooner. Great on I-94 through lake effect snow into and across Michigan.
Old 12-07-15, 06:27 PM
lexman52
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Snows

I run studded snows on the rear only. Nothing can stop my car. I have them on there own rims so i will put then on day before it snows. Will take them off when there is no snow on the roads. Been doing this for years. No problems. Can do this in less than 15 min.