LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

An LS430 or GS300 as a First Car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-15, 11:20 PM
LexusDrivr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An LS430 or GS300 as a First Car?

Hi guys,

I know this is a topic that's discussed a lot, but I am a 15 year old deciding on what car I should get in December. So I'm currently saving up to get either the 2001 LS430 or the 2000 GS300. This will be completely paid for by me and not my parents. I'm extremely against the idea of getting a beater car because I am a huge car enthusiast and it would be a total waste of my saving up money. Anyway, I drove alone today for the first time and I'm proud to say I can completely get rid of the desire to "hoon". I feel like this is a good starting point as to getting one of these cars. I already know about all the features and specs of the cars as I've been researching them for over a year now lol but I wanted your opinions. So, which car do you think would be suitable for me, costs aside. And I promise you guys I will take care of whatever car I choose with my life, because I've spent most of it saving/researching/breathing these two cars. Also I wanted to know how they feel while driving because that's the most important thing to me.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-15, 04:38 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts

The LS is a straight luxury car and will ride very cushy with minimal road feedback. The GS is much more sporty and will give you a firmer ride allowing more road feel through the steering. Most guys your age would choose a sports ride more than a couch like luxury ride, but that's up to you. I'd also research insurance and fuel cost differences. Once you've got the car these other costs are a daily reality. Can you find an adult to accompany you on a test ride even if you're not ready to buy?
Old 04-06-15, 04:45 AM
CSTU93
Driver

Both are great choices but as swfla mentioned, very different. Being an enthusiast you will most likely be happier with the driving dynamics of the GS. I'm 22 but have a huge soft spot for the LS... most likely because I grew up with it but I just think its an awesome car.

As i'm sure you know, the GS300 is a v6... if you are cross shopping it with the LS I would consider driving a GS430 as well.

Keep in mind December may seem like forever away but it will be here sooner than you know. There is a ton of useful info here for both models and "purchase" situations. The search feature will become your best friend.

Best of luck!

Last edited by CSTU93; 04-06-15 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-06-15, 06:12 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

And if you're buying used... it's not like walking into best buy and picking up a new flat screen that they have there in the store. You have to hunt and wait for the car that you really want. Aside from the two cars you also have to look at color, options, pedigree, maintenance status and the like that will all weigh into your decision. Timing is everything when buying a used car...finding someone looking to seel exactly what you're looking for may take some time, so don't have your heart set on December. Good luck in your search...and yes. Drive them first before you decide. I think at your age you'd be most satisfied with the ride and performance of the GS300 or GS430...
Old 04-06-15, 08:40 AM
LexusDrivr
Driver School Candidate

I'll definitely take into consideration the drive feel on both cars.
And to be honest to you guys since I live in Canada I'm going to be importing a car here. So it's actually the Toyota Aristo or the Toyota Celsior. In terms of options, both come fully loaded in Japan depending on the package you get so that's fine. Thankfully my dad has been with an insurance broker for 25 years and they insure RHD cars so I'm all set for that too. I may be able to test drive an Aristo here, but it's kind of unlikely it's all about the timing. And of course I'm taking my time with this decision I want everything to be perfect so I'm basically always on forums and stuff. Does anyone know how fast the V300 Aristo is? That's the twin turbo Japanese model but I think it may be too much.

Last edited by LexusDrivr; 04-06-15 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-06-15, 09:19 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't think either GS or LS are appropriate cars for a 15 yo. As a very young very inexperienced driver you should almost certainly expect to bang that first car up at least a little bit especially if you are driving in an environment with ice and snow. Instead my advice is for you to get a $3-4000 4 cylinder front wheel drive beater for a year and keep it well maintained. If you have any fender benders and wheel scrape mishaps with the beater I suggest you not make any insurance claims just repair as best you can diy. After 12 months sell the beater for close to what you paid if you took good care of it. At that point you will have some real world experience and built up some deeper driving skills so that you can buy a nicer car like a GS and LS and not have issues with it.

Hate to burst your bubble - and the hardest thing about being 15 is being patient and doing the rational thing - but there is my heartfelt and sincere advice to you after 40 years of driving (aprox 750K miles) and experience with 4 teens getting cars in our family : )

Last edited by Jabberwock; 04-06-15 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-06-15, 09:32 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I have thought for a LONG time the LS would be a great first car for a teenager. It never wants to be driven fast, you can't take corners fast, and everything about it is designed to lower your blood pressure. lol. Plus it's big and safe.
Old 04-06-15, 11:43 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

don't mean to be a jerk, but do you really, truly have to have a car at all? How about a bus or bike? seriously, any car is an expensive wasting asset....and probably the most expensive form of transportation for you. At your age you should be saving money for things that will provide a return in later years, like an education.

At your age I remember lusting after a well used 1968 Camaro, which I never bought and that was a good thing. I had the cash, but my savings would have been quickly depleted on that car, forcing me to work more hours at a minimum wage job, taking focus away from school and more important things.

not trying to be judgmental and not knowing much about the details of your situation, but I would think long and hard about buying any car in your situation..
Old 04-06-15, 11:50 AM
LexusDrivr
Driver School Candidate

That's exactly the thing. To me a car isn't just a wasting asset. Cars are my life and have been since I can remember. I would work extra hours if it means that I can have a car that I can wake up to and be completely content. I know some people have the same passion as me but I could never describe with words how cars and driving make me feel. So no, I couldnt get a bike or take the bus or even have a beater. I will be driving a 92 Camry for about 8 weeks after I get my license but that's just because I'll have ordered my car. I understand not many people want a teen having a good first car but it's literally going to be my life and I can't wait a day after I get my license to at least order my car, let alone drive for 2-3 years in a beater. Plus would you guys rather have a safe teen in a nice car or a fast and furious kid in a Honda? You can decide who would get into an accident of the two.
Old 04-06-15, 12:44 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

why right hand drive? Canada doesn't drive on the left. corolla for you
Old 04-06-15, 12:57 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Don't judge him guys... just help him with his question. To each his own life. Wish you the best in your decisions. We all learn and grow from our experiences. I too worked hard for my first car and got what I could afford and paid for my own college at the same time. Best of luck to you in your search...
Old 04-06-15, 01:02 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

For your location, if anything I agree with Jabberwock....either a front wheel drive car or if affordable a 4 wheel drive.
Old 04-06-15, 01:02 PM
Toysled
Driver

You will be happy with either choice. GS also gives you the option to swap from a 2JZ, 1UZ or 3UZ along with either a street/track or even a VIP build if you decide to mod in the future. The LS430 is awesome in every way. Good luck and post pics on your build/purchase!!
Old 04-06-15, 01:05 PM
LexusDrivr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Legender
Don't judge him guys... just help him with his question. To each his own life. Wish you the best in your decisions. We all learn and grow from our experiences. I too worked hard for my first car and got what I could afford and paid for my own college at the same time. Best of luck to you in your search...
Can I ask what your first car was?
Old 04-06-15, 01:16 PM
LexusDrivr
Driver School Candidate

Also I don't like any FWD cars here other than an RSX but that would be a last choice car. Also I have budgeted the cost of VERY good winter tires into my savings and driving a RWD in the snow will give me experienc, and on the days where it's completely snowed in I have a 4x4 suv if necessary. Now why RHD? Because most cars are under 60k KMs and are in amazing condition for extremely cheap. For the GS300 I'm interested in it's about 7000$ completely ready to drive. It's in brand new condition with 26k Kms on it and the price includes importing, customs, new tires, all DOT parts and the like.

Quick Reply: An LS430 or GS300 as a First Car?