LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How are you guys(LS430's) holding up with this winters snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 02:16 PM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I recently installed a new set of Michelin X-Ice3s (18") on my LS. Already had 2 storms here and they have been great. Very happy with them so far.
Also, seem to do well of dry roads.
I previously had Blizzak LM-60s and I feel these may be a bit better. But 1 thing for sure is that the Michelin's are MUCH quieter than the Blizzaks,
The Blizzaks were Super loud!
We'll see how the Michelin wear as time goes on.
Old 01-03-18, 05:57 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

U R gonna be very happy on the wear of the X Ice 3's.
Old 01-05-18, 05:22 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I left my house for 4 days skiing in and around Lake Superior, Ripley Bohemia, prolly logged 800 mostly snow ice covered miles. The snow belt has 160 inches of snow got 2 feet just before I got there, 2 feet when I was there. In Green Bay getting started, driver was tailgaiting me in slick fwy roads, I tapped my brakes, I must of startled him he skids t bones the concrete median in my rear view mirror, as I looked up a Equinox did the same in front of me and I drove over its crash debris white knuckling it hoping my tires where not cut. I was in slippery roads for 6 hours each way driving up around/along lake superior snow belt to the tip of the Kewanau Peninsula in the middle of the lake, the tomb of the Edmund Fitzgerald with greasy wind buffed white, black ice 2 lane roads drivers tandem logging trucks comin at me. It was under 15 degrees the whole trip, salt is marginally effective wind blows it off the ice shield anyway. The monster plows are scraping roads constantly to give ya any kind of edge for the students at Michigan Tech and skiers snowmobilers. I was by myself to meet my buddies at the hill.

I have faith in my LS with 4 snows but really watch the locals coming at ya if they are driving slow so should U. Stopped at Subway lady said "I don't even drive to Houghton in winter, too many crazy's with no insurance who do not know how to drive even up here". Moral of story be safe my brothers, its not just about U in severe weather its also the other guys coming at ya, cars are lethal weapons and some folks these days are clueless on the outcomes of their actions like loosing control into oncoming traffic. Force equals mass times velocity driving even 40 mph with someone hitting ya at 50 glad we got all these air bags.

I can get 3 pair of skis in my cubby, some fattys for deep snow, midfats and carvers for the groomed. I skied in snow mid thigh on my Armada JJ's, I think it would be hilarious to see an LS with ski racks!!!!

Funny story I was in the middle of no where at a hotel in Eagle Harbor on Lake Superior my TPMS lite comes on, I am a 50 miles blizzard tow back to Houghton if indeed I did cut my tires I am thinkin. I scrambled to find my gauge finally found it remembering it goes off at what 23 lbs? Then I have my phone charger going and I try to turn the key in this blizzard to again drive along the hellish coastal windy road to the hill and no spark, I am thinking "damn 14 year old car finally got me" as I have never been stranded by my LS's in 275k miles. But yippee my tires read 30, and I had the smart key in the hotel and my serious fear was lessened.

There must be a range the car will not start out of reach of smart key, TPMS sensors where faulty reading or they got low when it was 10 below? Going up next weekend with a buddy though.
Old 01-05-18, 05:25 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

You are skiing on the eroded bluffs of Lake Superior views are spectacular water ice all sides. This place does not groom, does not make snow check it out.
Old 01-14-18, 05:26 PM
Abernoots
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My LS was kind of a PITA to park and get out of a spot in the NYC streets.I spent about half an hour digging myself a spot that wouldn't get me too stuck. On the road however, with snow mode on, drove beautifully!
Old 01-14-18, 10:12 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What's snow?
Old 01-15-18, 04:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Is that the same Edmund Fitzgerald as the Gordon Lightfoot tune? 6 yrs ago when my wife got a new car and it came with XM radio free, I thought XM32 The Bridge was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Funny how that shows one's age--just Dec. in our Toronto office, two 1990's born colleagues were going back and forth, and the zinger was when this girl said to a guy, "So says the man who grew up listening to the Bridge." dang I ran out to the rental car and changed the channel in case I ended up driving to lunch...
Old 01-15-18, 05:18 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Ya Edmund Fitzgerald a cold icey tomb. Ya a shovel is nice to tuck in the trunk in the winter to dig out. Snow? its the waist deep stuff you blast through on a powder day and the stuff the impossible to find winter mats for and melts onto your carpet.
The Bridge know it well! Coffehouse too!
Old 01-15-18, 05:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Ya Edmund Fitzgerald a cold icey tomb. Ya a shovel is nice to tuck in the trunk in the winter to dig out. Snow? its the waist deep stuff you blast through on a powder day and the stuff the impossible to find winter mats for and melts onto your carpet.
The Bridge know it well! Coffehouse too!
hahahaha my wife always listens to the Coffee House....I never realized I guess that Edmund Fitzgerald was a real ship....hmmmm that is an excellent suggestion, maybe I should keep a shovel in my trunk...our cars are not invincible, and seriously, a lot of folks nowadays take getting stuck for granted as many cars have AWD and at least in mild situations they can get out easily. I got stuck in my Nissan at a vet's office with my dog. The owner was really irate because I would have been blocking the plow from clearing the parking lot, where I was stuck.

"Those tires sure look good in the summer, but they ain't worth a **** in the winter!" He pointed at my 18x8 rims shod with 235/40-18's on my Maxima....they were A/S but lots of good they did this time....
Old 01-17-18, 11:30 AM
lexslexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just saw a clip on the local news of an '04-'06 LS430 stuck in the snow. Atlanta drivers and snow do not mix lol.
Old 01-17-18, 01:39 PM
biacs
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Does great in snow very planted. I just drove 300 miles in driving snow, high winds and temps well below zero. Wisconsin to IL. But certainly check your tread depth with a gauge. I think less than 7/32" time to think about replacing them.

Cost of refreshing tires that you will need either way vs cost of a wreck or tow etc. With age comes wisdom I guess.
Old 01-17-18, 03:32 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by biacs
Does great in snow very planted. I just drove 300 miles in driving snow, high winds and temps well below zero. Wisconsin to IL. But certainly check your tread depth with a gauge. I think less than 7/32" time to think about replacing them.

Cost of refreshing tires that you will need either way vs cost of a wreck or tow etc. With age comes wisdom I guess.
After having the last 5 days off, I'm headed back to work tomorrow morning, so it will be interesting to see how well I-94 has been cleaned up. Usually it's very clean and trouble free. Should be the same tomorrow morning. Even with this hellacious wind we're dealing with. The snow tires have been fantastic over the last few days. I'm running 18 inch Nittos on my car this winter. Those splash guards I installed really do a great job of keeping the snow from accumulating on the bottom of the car.
Old 01-17-18, 05:03 PM
mncz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the Edmund Fitzgerald was real. Sad story, something like 28 or 32 sailors. There's a huge number of shipwrecks in Lake Superior, interesting history if you are curious, plus a few museums.

Funny thing, I read this before going to work today. On the way in to Minneapolis, on I-394, a sub-set of I-94 you are all familiar with, I had my first accident ever. Traffic suddenly stopped, roads were very slick as it was still only about 7 degrees, and slid right into the back of a Mazda 3. Hard to say damage on either vehicle, given all the grime from road salt. We'll see.

For you guys, wondering if my WinterForce tires, at about 10 years old, although low on mileage, might be an issue. Yes, I know they are a budget tire, but they've been great in snow. Also, visibility at night is just getting terrible in this 15 year old LS430, which I love, but seems like it's letting me down this year.
Old 01-18-18, 04:31 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I think the winterforce are beefy snows but don't have the softer tread on top for ice which eventually wears down and some say replace at 1/2 tread. 10 years if ya drive 3 k miles a year thats 30k they are done.
Old 01-18-18, 04:37 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I got a 05 Camry with 224k miles an 05 to keep my LS in garage more in winter, to drive to work. Its got 6-7 32's on Premiers and of course FWD. Amazing how good the LS is with x ice 3's or I imagine Blizzacks or other tires even compared to FWD. Ya if any of you midwest folks ski PM me, 60 y/o but can still rip.

I got the Camry from a German guy at the pub I check into some time for latest craft beers, guy was religious about oil changes tranny changes U name it. Impressive how good maintenance will keep a 224k 4 cylinder shifting perfect driving perfect and I used a 1/4 of quart in 1500 miles, amazing another great toyota product when cared for. He was retired so car was kept garaged alot.

Quick Reply: How are you guys(LS430's) holding up with this winters snow?