LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ls430 With Many Codes P1354 And So On...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-14, 11:00 AM
kentgs300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ls430 With Many Codes P1354 And So On...

Hello guys,

I thought it would be best to start a thread on here instead of in the generic section.

Here are the codes the car had when I bought it

P0135 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1) /21
P0155 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1) or Oxygen Sensor Heater Current is Less than 0.25 amp, or Exceeds 2 amps or Voltage Drop for the Heater Exceeds 5 Volts (Cam.)
P1351 - VVT (Variable Valve Timing) Sensor/Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Problem (Bank 2)
P1354 - VVT (Variable Valve Timing) System Malfunction (Bank 2)
P1651 - VSV For ACIS Circuit Malfunction
P1663 - OCV (Oil Control Valve) Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2)

I cleaned the MAF sensor and then I took the car out for a run, then I got new codes

P0300 -- Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected or Misfiring Of Multiple Cylinders During Same 200-1000 Engine Revolutions
P0302 -- Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0304 -- Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0306 -- Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected
P0308 -- Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected
P1354 -- VVT (Variable Valve Timing) System Malfunction (Bank 2)
P1651 -- VSV For ACIS Circuit Malfunction

I understand the P1651 is not relevant to misfires and check VSC warnings I am getting.

Do you suggest if I clean and if no joy then replace the OCV on bank 2 (P1354) would solve my problems?

I have no idea when the cambelt was changed I cannot find any receipts etc... or when I contacted the dealers in the service book did not have an idea. Problem is the 100k service was done in 2007 and that dealer does not have records older than 3yo.... so even if he done it, he would not have known.

*UPDATE

Now a strange thing just got back with the car, I was out driving in traffic.
Before I set off, I cleared the codes.
Half way at my journey I looked at the codes and it was

P1651 -- VSV For ACIS Circuit Malfunction

Then once I finished my journey before I switch off the car I thought I would do one more scan and I had the following codes

P0135 -- O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1) /21
P0155 -- O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1) or Oxygen Sensor Heater Current is Less than 0.25 amp, or Exceeds 2 amps or Voltage Drop for the Heater Exceeds 5 Volts (Cam.)

With outstanding code

P1351 -- VVT (Variable Valve Timing) Sensor/Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Problem (Bank 2)

I swear the car is haunted! lol

Where shall I start looking tomorrow?
The following users liked this post:
chinpham (05-11-20)
Old 11-14-14, 11:19 AM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

seems like the same codes that happened before are reappearing b/c the only thing you did was clean the MAF sensor. i don't see how a dirty MAF sensor would cause these codes. id take the care to a toyota or lexus mechanic to find out their recommendaton. the car's not haunted, you just bought a poorly maintained ls430 with pre-exiting codes and only cleaned the MAF sensor. i'm unsure if this would be a cheap fix or an expensive proposition. engine issues probably. probably never have changed the spark plugs either i'm guessing. don't know your current miles but if 7 yrs ago it had 100k, then i'm guessing they're way overdo.
Old 11-14-14, 11:56 AM
kentgs300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by writes123
seems like the same codes that happened before are reappearing b/c the only thing you did was clean the MAF sensor. i don't see how a dirty MAF sensor would cause these codes. id take the care to a toyota or lexus mechanic to find out their recommendaton. the car's not haunted, you just bought a poorly maintained ls430 with pre-exiting codes and only cleaned the MAF sensor. i'm unsure if this would be a cheap fix or an expensive proposition. engine issues probably. probably never have changed the spark plugs either i'm guessing. don't know your current miles but if 7 yrs ago it had 100k, then i'm guessing they're way overdo.
Cheers

Got the car at a trade price, it has 178.000miles on the clock. (a trade auction to be precise)

As soon as I got the car I went through the service book got the telephone numbers of the garages (only 2 garages was servicing the car) and called to enquire.

Up to 100.000miles (2007) the car had full on services with the Lexus dealer and was spot on mechanically.
The person who bought it (2007 until before I bought it) was doing just basic maintenance or even less... still using lexus dealer, but was instructing to do small service, than full at the annual car check (MOT as I am based in UK).

The car needs work done to it, just trying to find out where to start.
I started from the easiest thing, cleaning the MAF sensor was the first thing to do as it was oily and dirty prior cleaning.
So this is one less thing to worry in a way.

But since the car is at 178.000 miles, changing O2 sensors, OCV valve etc are relevant easy jobs to do.
Changing plugs etc, would be a nice thing to do to, as it will be part of the service I guess.

The oil is nice and clean in the engine, looks like new.

Need to mention here that in the Lexus reports, 2yrs ago it is mentioned about the EML light and the VSC Off being illuminated, so it was a problem since then
Then there is a breakdown cover report (car had flat battery due not been used for 3 weeks, and the code was P1651 that was on the scanner)

I can only assume that the rest of the codes manifested them selves within the last year (last 5.000miles)
I just hope the timing belt did not jump a tooth or something similar

Last edited by kentgs300; 11-14-14 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-14-14, 12:06 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Two O2 sensors and a camshaft sensor is a good way to start.
Old 11-14-14, 12:47 PM
kentgs300
Driver School Candidate

sounds a good place to start.
I will inspect the parts tomorrow and then shall try sourcing replacements
Old 11-14-14, 12:49 PM
kentgs300
Driver School Candidate

Silly question ... but do you think a duff battery can cause all these problems?
Old 11-14-14, 02:44 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by kentgs300
Cheers

But since the car is at 178.000 miles, changing O2 sensors, OCV valve etc are relevant easy jobs to do.
Changing plugs etc, would be a nice thing to do to, as it will be part of the service I guess.
Misfires are not caused by faulty O2 sensors. With your mileage, I'd first replace the spark plugs. OEM plugs (Denso Part # SK20R11 - Iridium Long Life) are widely available online (Amazon). See what codes (if any) remain after you change the plugs.
Old 11-14-14, 03:24 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Start with where the codes tell you first. Random misfire can easily be the cam position sensor. The 02 senors are very common. Sure he may need a tune up but the computer can tell you exactly whats wrong when you interpret the information properly. Pull at least one front plug while you are there and check the condition. I think you have multiple failed sensors.
Old 11-14-14, 06:44 PM
JoshuaaXD
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vvti codes also lead to ecu replacement. You'd be into it for under 300 bucks if you replace the sensors. Ecu's can be had on eBay for 150 bucks.
Old 11-14-14, 10:51 PM
kentgs300
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys I will checking the spark plugs condition and the coils for any condensation as well, will be changing them and see condition.

Hopefully will not end up there to the ECU solution, is this the one you mean? Engine Control ECU
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-LEXUS...item25953bf791

One thing I just remembered is that the car starts misbehaving when it is warm, rather than when it is cold. So the whole misfiring starts when the engine is hot. I will check it again today.

Last edited by kentgs300; 11-14-14 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-15-14, 07:59 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

It's not the ECU. LS430's are not known to have ECU problems. Follow the codes the computer is giving you first. RockAuto has a lot of OEM parts for good prices too. The VVT sensor is causing the misfire. Notice it's all on bank 2 and the cylinders that you got the codes on are all on bank 2, except for the one O2 sensor. Bank 1 is drivers side. Bank 2 is passenger. If the car has never had spark plugs replace them as mentioned. And clean that throttle body too.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-15-14 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-15-14, 01:24 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Thanks guys I will checking the spark plugs condition and the coils for any condensation as well, will be changing them and see condition.

Hopefully will not end up there to the ECU solution, is this the one you mean? Engine Control ECU
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-LEXUS...item25953bf791

One thing I just remembered is that the car starts misbehaving when it is warm, rather than when it is cold. So the whole misfiring starts when the engine is hot. I will check it again today.
Rough idling and misfire when engine warmed up with 1354 code is likely the OCV (Bank 2 passenger side) - oil control valve / cam timing solenoid. It's a DIY fix. Part # 15330-50011 or 15330-0F010. This would also show codes for misfire on even-numbered cylinders (2,4,6, and/or 8). I would not change ignition coils initially since multiple coils are not faulty all at once.

I just looked back at all of the codes you listed and I would DEFINITELY replace the OCV on the passenger side. It's a very easy fix - 1 bolt holds the module into the engine near intake manifold over cylinder head (passenger side). The OCV manages the variable valve timing (VVT) function of the camshaft, and when faulty, causes misfiring across the whole bank of 4 cylinders. This, in turn, leads to fouled spark plugs - which is another reason you should change those as well. It's possible that O2 sensors have been damaged from misfiring if the engine has been run long miles in this condition. If the O2 sensors are bad, it is a result of, not a cause of, your engine misfiring.

Last edited by Tom57; 11-16-14 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-15-14, 04:59 PM
kentgs300
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys.
I am inclined to change the OCV as well, had a better look at the spark plugs today, they were worn ... but OK. I replaced them though since I had them out... installed NGK laser iridium ones (same the ones I took out).
I took out the OCV's both and had a look they seemed OK, cleaned them too, but no benefit what so ever.
So I will have to order a new OCV first thing Monday morning, as the car will not pass the MOT Test which expires on Tuesday. (Failure will be due to the VSC Off displayed, once the Misfires code is stored in the car and the VVTi problem code, it disables the VSC, which I know it is not a problem of the VSC just a result of the misfiring.).

It all looks like the car will be like new once I changed that, and then I can schedule to replace the O2 sensors too, and complete my service.

Will update with results.
Old 11-16-14, 03:12 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Thanks guys.
I am inclined to change the OCV as well, had a better look at the spark plugs today, they were worn ... but OK. I replaced them though since I had them out... installed NGK laser iridium ones (same the ones I took out).
I took out the OCV's both and had a look they seemed OK, cleaned them too, but no benefit what so ever.
So I will have to order a new OCV first thing Monday morning, as the car will not pass the MOT Test which expires on Tuesday.

Will update with results.
Each of the OCV's do have a serviceable filter. You mention that you cleaned the OCV's. If the OCV filter is clogged, it will throw a code. If you think it's only the OCV filter, they are very inexpensive ($6 - $10). Part # 15678-46020.

EDIT: There are NO serviceable OCV filter screens on the 3UZ-FE.

Last edited by Tom57; 12-22-15 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-16-14, 05:51 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tom57
Each of the OCV's do have a serviceable filter. You mention that you cleaned the OCV's. If the OCV filter is clogged, it will throw a code. If you think it's only the OCV filter, they are very inexpensive ($6 - $10). Part # 15678-46020.
I wonder if this is something we should add this to the maintenance list for the 120 at the same time as the plugs. Replace the OCV filters. I might go ahead and do that.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-17-14 at 07:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Ls430 With Many Codes P1354 And So On...