LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Independant foglight help.Which coil on relay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-14, 01:14 PM
daniel1235
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Independant foglight help.Which coil on relay?

aloooooha!
It looks as though there is no official how to and making the fog lights operate independently, meaning turning it on without the headlights on. While some people were able to do it, they seem to keep it a secret haha. I dont want to run no extra wires and switches as i find that to not be a clean set up so those of you doing it this way, please dont chime in.

Lets get started, this is an 05 LS430.
I already know that The correct way is change to coil side of the stock Fog relay from low beam to the parking light (if you want it on with parking lights) or a constant 12v so that it can operate whenever. This way no additional relay, and you don't have to run any wires from the fogs to inside the car.

Ive tested all the wires on the Fog light relay and this is what it comes down to. I believe that if you connect a 12v source (preferably one that is 12v with engine running) to coil # 3 on the relay, you will be able to control the fogs independently but im not 100% sure because i dont know the wiring on how this relay works. Attached is also the wiring diagram.

I will have to trouble shoot a little bit more once i get the female/male spade connectors to get a better idea but perhaps someone can try this while im busy. My GF keeps complaining as i spend too much time with this stuff and now off to lexus to turn off my DRL.

Lastly, not to be rude but for those that have nothing helpful to post, please dont post. I hate replies that say stuff like "im wanting to find out too" or "me too". Can those that are knowledged chime in please.

Shoots brah!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Front Fog Light diagram.pdf (52.2 KB, 323 views)
The following users liked this post:
kos (02-26-19)
Old 09-27-14, 03:17 PM
daniel1235
Driver

Thanks. This is awesome. I want to basically be ble to turn the fog on still utilizing the switch even with headlights off and Parking off. Please let me know.
Old 09-27-14, 05:31 PM
daniel1235
Driver

Howdy partner RKW77080,

First off, thank you for your assistance with this. This is truly going to help many people figure this out. Now that im on a computer instead of a phone, i can type faster. We will use the actual diagrams you provided instead of my reference numbers to avoid confusion.

1. The idea is to run the fog lights only when the headlights or parking lights are not on and ALSO work when the headlights are on. I want to utilize the existing fog light switch to turn off and on.

2. It looks as though if i simply ground (constant ground no switch) E8 which is prong number 2 on the relay, it will then trigger R5 to connect with R6 which sends power to both fogs. Isnt this the same as for me to jump (or connect) a wire on the relay harness side from 3 and 5? Regardless, there is no switch after this relay so if i were to do this (ground E8 or jump R5 and R6 together, the fog lights would always be on even when the car is off correct? Since it then goes straight to the fogs.

3. It seems i would need to run a separate switch into the interior of the car to the fog light switch or to a separate toggle switch (which i dont want to do) to achieve what i want? People on the GS forum simply have to jump a wire like i mentioned above.

Please let me know if this is possible. And again, thank you.
Old 09-27-14, 10:17 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very technical stuff going on here, but good question you have Daniel.

Middle eastern region LS430's had individual fog light control, same switch on the stick, but you can operate it if you had the lights half on.

Looks nice. Hope you guys can summarize this in some easier wording once you get it figured out.

All luck.
Old 09-28-14, 03:57 PM
daniel1235
Driver

RKW77080,
Your a blessing. Thanks for the compliments and the information and diagrams you provided are unbelievable. I will start to make a relay to relay socket harness and get started sometime next week. Probably run a few fuses inline while i do my testing.
worst comes to worst, at this point you pointed out how i can just connect it to the ignition wire so that the fogs are always on with ignition (although that not what im looking for). This may already be helpful to those that don't mind this route.
Stay tuned. Thanks again!

Last edited by daniel1235; 09-28-14 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 12:04 AM
daniel1235
Driver

Hello again,
Just a small update. So ive tested the wiring and its exactly as mentioned in the above posts. So at this point, what can be configured if you guys don't mind is basically the following options.
1. The fog lights always being on with the ignition. No control of turning it OFF and On manually. It will turn off when car is off.
2. Fog lights can be turned on via a switch (not oem fog switch). This would require running it into the interior obviously. It would be able to turn off and on on command even with the car being off.

To achieve any of this, you must first make something like this. You need 4 female connectors and 2 male connectors. The 4 female connectors will plug into the stock fog relay.

Ok, so now thats done, lets figure out option #1.
1. Take out the fog relay. Location is already provided in posts diagrams above.
1. There are 4 prongs on the fog relay, two are gold, two are silver.
2. The gold prongs are the same size as the male spade connectors so they will fit right into the fog relay socket.
3. If you dont understand whats going on at this point, forget it and live with what you got.
4. Ohk, refer to the previous pictures that shows "ENGINE ROOM NO. 2 R/B RELAY SIDE VIEW"
5. Pretend your plugging back in the fog relay. You are going to plug the same wires from your fog relay into the same wire in the fog light harness BUT you wiill NOT connect R7 and R8, both silver prongs.
Therefore, both the gold pins on the fog relay have been plugged into the respectful wire in the fog harness you now have 2 silver prongs on the fog relay currently not connected to anything.
6. Run the fog relay wire (R8) to a ground, any chassis bolt will be fine. How clean you run this wire is up to you.
7. Now you have only 1 silver prong left from the relay, connect this wire to the ignition source in the ENGINE ROOM NUMBER 1 J/B box under the hood. Its the box currently right next to the box with the fog relay. The wire is number 3 that you want to connect it with. You can simply strip the wire and wedge it into the blade of the fuse.
8. You may want to play it safe and run a fuse between this last wire which seems unnecessary but just in case you know.
9. Now your fog lights will come on with the ignition.
10. R7 and R8 on the harness side wont have anything connected to it.

Option number 2!
1. Take out the fog relay.
2. make the same harness you made with the male connecters and female connectors.
3. All of the replay wires will plug into the same side of on the harness except R8.
4. So now basically whenever you ground R8 on the relay side, the fogs will come on.
5. Run the R8 wire from the fog relay to the switch you have in your car. The other wire connected to your switch in the interior should be grounded on anything.
6. Now whenever you turn your switch on, the fog lights will come on. Even with the car off or on.
Extra step.
7. If you dont want to be able to turn the fogs on when the car is off. You will have to run the R7 wire thats on the relay to the ignition as mentioned in Option 1. This way the toggle switch in your car will still control the fogs the same way but it will not turn the fogs on when the car is off (ignition is off).

EDIT. Added some extra pics. 10/02/2014

The most difficult part is running the wire from the engine bay to the interior. Its located right behind the abs module. The good news is, the hood latch release also runs through the rubber grommet as a seperate piece and you can run your wire through here. Very difficult but possible. Going from the interior side is much much much easier.

In this pic, its currently set up as NOT running off the ignition wire, the wires going to the interior will serve as a ground switch for the time being.

THis is the interior, sorry but its super hard to take a good pic.

BUTT BUTT BUTT, what what in the butt,
THis isnt the way i want to do this.

RKW77080, do you have a wiring diagram that shows which color wire on the ignition column is the fog switch. I took the column apart but dont want to have to probe every wire on here not to mention its 9pm. The previous diagrams that is labeled FRONT FOG LIGHT doesnt show this info.

If you could get this info, i think i can utilize the stock fog switch. I think, not i can. Please chime in from Texas! Thanks!

Last edited by daniel1235; 10-02-14 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 09:29 PM
daniel1235
Driver

Man this is getting way too complicated, tested all the wires today but of course no success. This project will need to be put on hold for now.
Added some pictures as well. In the meantime, its controlled via a toggle switch in the interior of the car. I need to find an OEM style switch with a fog symbol and mount it somewhere super clean.

Lights are that that blue at alll. Taken with ipad so its not accurate. Aaand yes, i like the classic yellow fogs on lexuses only. Hope this helps some of you guys. Sadly utilizing the stock fog switch has become a task.

Last edited by daniel1235; 10-02-14 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-04-14, 08:10 PM
daniel1235
Driver

Alrighty just a quick update to help you folks. As mentioned, its on a switch i ran to the interior. Hard time finding a nice switch but i think i got a pretty slick set up.

Sometimes i surprise myself with how some things come out. Its super low key.
Changing this back to stock would take me seconds in the engine bay. Plus i now have 2 wires from the engine bay to the interior in case i need to wire anything else up. purrrrrrfect!
Hope this helps!
Old 10-05-14, 03:53 PM
daniel1235
Driver

Heres a picture of how i attached the wire to the ignition fuse blade. Its best to solder it on the outside and not the flat area as there some extra space when you on the outsides when the fuse relay plugs in.
Old 10-05-14, 04:43 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rkw must be an electrical engineer with all this knowledge. I thought the horn diagram was impressive but this takes it to another level. Odd that I didn't see this thread earlier.. This is a very neat and clean mod. Great place to mount the button. (That engine bay painted covers look amazing as well)
Old 12-07-14, 12:56 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Clean install Daniel and good work put in, but still had the ugly factor honestly.

Considering that this can be done without all this hassle.

Back home, middle eastern LS430's have the ability and control of the fog lights from the OEM fog switch on the left hand marker. That controls the fog lights to ON or OFF, whenever the lights are set a notch above off. Meaning, you can operate your fog lights while your xenon main lights are still off.

+ PLUS, you are able to high beam AND have the fog lights on all at the same time. They don't shut off like our US spec cars.

I remember a very humble technician back home who used to be able to do this trick to all the US spec vehicles that were imported back there.

He only charged about $20, and did no cutting no wires, nothing. I can't vividly remember, but he changed a coil inside the fuse boxes that led to giving the OEM fog light switch the full control of the fog lights and making them independent. Not completely replace it, but mod it somehow that still made it look clean and OEM.

I'm not an electrical engineer to be clear, but what I don't understand is how you guys might have PHD's in electrical engineering or may seem to be professional technicians, referring to the diagrams you drew and to the multiple and several ideas you guys tried. Yet you still took the easier way of making a new ugly button and minimally ruined your car's interior.

I wish I had better electrical knowledge to give more to the topic, but I am just like you guys wishing there was an easy way to do all of this.

Hope someone who has this done in any other way to chime in on how they did it.
Old 12-07-14, 11:03 PM
daniel1235
Driver

Hi the king,
Lol im not a electrician in any way, i wouldn't need this forum if that was the case, i didn't even graduate college and manage a hotel occupation wise. I cant read wiring diagrams at all, the only symbol i know is ground and a switch, thats only from car hobbies.
Not to be rude but i dont think you have any idea how complicated this is. Ive done this many times on other cars but were talking older simple wiring like 240sx, tl, etc, this LS430 in so much more technical.
Thank you for the advice of a coil mod of some sort but without any details or help from others, that doesn't help me at all. As that doesn't open any options of what to try next.
Perhaps someone else can eventually provide the answer, till then the wait continues. Shoots.
Old 12-08-14, 12:43 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Well I must applaud you a good job if you aren't an engineer. Pretty impressive.

Our fellow country boy RKW seems like an engineer though. My point was; how, is what seemed to be such an advanced intelligent person in electrical engineering not able to crack this?

For sure, I know it can be done. But I am not an engineer myself or would've helped.

Hopefully this thread stays floating so some one can help us or throw in a hunch.
Old 12-08-14, 05:56 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
Well I must applaud you a good job if you aren't an engineer. Pretty impressive.

Our fellow country boy RKW seems like an engineer though. My point was; how, is what seemed to be such an advanced intelligent person in electrical engineering not able to crack this?

For sure, I know it can be done. But I am not an engineer myself or would've helped.

Hopefully this thread stays floating so some one can help us or throw in a hunch.
Very good point... Sorry to disappoint you, LOL

I, too, was very impressed with Daniel1235's abilities. Some of his other postings included DIY projects for custom spoiler, grille and paint; custom wheels; and LED light modifications - all are excellent and very insightful.

Regarding this posting, Daniel1235's requests for technical comments were very specific, and I was intrigued to learn where he was going with the information – like a great detective story that kept me coming back for more. My role in this discussion was to address his questions directly if I can, and to the best of my ability. I learned new things about the LS430 along the way, and I’m certain Daniel1235 did, too.

As you pointed out, there’s a $20 solution out there that invalidates Daniel1235’s approach. Accordingly, I’ve removed all my technical comments on this posting to avoid future confusions. It was never my intent to provide a DIY solution, and my technical gibberish only served to muddy the water.

Last edited by rkw77080; 12-08-14 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-13-15, 07:30 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

So just to clarify, can you wire the fogs to the wiper relay like I did on my 99' & have them work when the ignition is on ?? With this I was able to use the fogs independently anytime the key was clicked forward but not with the high beams. This seems way more technical, is this because of changes between models ??

Quick Reply: Independant foglight help.Which coil on relay?