LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Owners - how did you find your LS430?

Old 11-30-23, 08:11 AM
dragonmilk
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Owners - how did you find your LS430?

When and where (not looking for your address, but like dealer, private owner, geography helpful for context) did you find your current LS, how did you get comfortable with the purchase, and how many did you turn down (maybe why) before you settled on the one you bought? How long was your search process in general?
Old 11-30-23, 04:03 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I found mine on Craigslist. 2002 Ultra Luxury. Looked for roughly two or three weeks if I recall, here
​​​​​​ in the south Denver Metro area. Had owned a 95 LS400, another LS430 and numerous other Lexus's in the past, and had an itch for another big rear drive sedan. I looked at one other 2004 at a crap shack dealer that had been rode hard and put to bed wet (lots of broken stuff, filthy on the inside, **** wheel bearings ETC...), and then came across mine which was a 1st owner creampuff owned by an older couple.

They had recently replaced it with a Tesla, and had the car on the market for roughly a month when I came along. I guess they had a lot of idiots calling them, and 16 year olds who wanted a cheap first car, which they turned down, because a 16 year old with a RWD V8 powered LS430 on icy Colorado roads equals smashed up LS430s abandoned in a ditch.

I immediately hit it off with them pretty well, and was sold after taking it for a drive. Had roughly 156k on it, with extensive service history, and I paid $8500 early last year. They even held it for a week until I got my loan cleared to pay for it.

Car didn't need much, mainly just a telescoping wheel motor, a new subwoofer, since the rubber diaphragm had deteriorated on the original one, and a few other minor doodads like trunk struts, a parking brake adjustment, and a few other small things that I still need to address, like leaky valve covers and some other minor cosmetic things. The air suspension still works great too, but the struts are a little floaty from wear and tear.

Last edited by YoshiMan; 11-30-23 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-01-23, 05:37 AM
Freddy12
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonmilk
When and where (not looking for your address, but like dealer, private owner, geography helpful for context) did you find your current LS, how did you get comfortable with the purchase, and how many did you turn down (maybe why) before you settled on the one you bought? How long was your search process in general?
I found mine on Auto trader. It was situated in Niagara falls. I took approximately 6 months to make up my mind, thinking at first that it was overpriced. However,the used car dealer was thorough in his presentation and walk through video. When I eventually drove from Toronto to see and drive the car I was thoroughly impressed with the condition as well as the demeanor of the dealer. He clearly knew the value of the car and did not have any qualms about holding on to it if he had to. That's it basically for me
Old 12-01-23, 06:53 AM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I bought my 03 in 2014 after probably 2 months of searching. I turned down the first one I test drove because like Yoshiman it had been beat to heck but it was enough of an experience that I was hooked on the car. I watched auto trader and was willing to travel. I found one at a dealer in the Los Angeles area, got as much information as I could then took the risk and bought the flight. They lied on a couple things and I was frustrated but bought the car. Glad I did because I was the 3rd owner and that thing had lived an easy life. Great car! I just sold it 5-1/2 years later because I wanted the 04-06 refresh.
For my 04, I was watching Cargurus and various Craigslist sites. Found a beautiful 04 in Las Vegas with the original owner. He was an eccentric dude and not everyone would have bought from him, but man it was worth it as I got a gem which is the one I have now.
California is a great place to look for cars and 430's are best found in money environments. That is why I looking there, high concentrations of people who had the money to buy these things as 4th and 5th cars. You're in Texas, that should have plenty of good markets. I watch Cargurus every day and there are some nice ones on there, but also some hidden secrets I imagine. Private sales are best in my opinion, but getting harder to come by.
Old 12-01-23, 07:18 AM
dragonmilk
Driver

Good to know, I just looked at autotrader but will check cargurus as well then.

But yeah, over time, I have to imagine the universe of well-maintained ones is shrinking faster than the number of people who want them
Old 12-01-23, 04:47 PM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

In theory, Cargurus should be pulling in Auto Trader and Cars.com results. I think it does. I shop these every day for fun so reach out if you want me to tell you which ones have been listed a 'little too long'.
There are some really reputable dealerships out there, as @Freddy12 mentioned. The old man tan one in Palm Beach, FL...that is the 3rd I have seen from them, all nice, and they seem like a top notch dealer (can't beat an indoor showroom with a Ferrari Testarossa in front of the Lex). Lexus dealers are generally reliable but many won't hold on to these due to age, but they hang on to the good ones.
Old 12-02-23, 05:31 AM
dragonmilk
Driver

I actually found the following listing but am a bit concerned about second owner / why drain plugs had to be replaced so much....
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...bn36f265053543
Any red flags here, and is it suspicious that they have multiple LS430s at a time?

I'm pretty patient and looking for my first LS430 - need a new car by mid June. If it's an LS430, awesome. If not, I'll keep looking, haha
Old 12-02-23, 06:24 AM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 118 Posts

Replacing the oil plug washer/plug during a change is best practice and the opposite of a red flag

It sounds like this may be your first car ever? If so, and you're interested in learning more about cars/diy, a 4 cylinder honda or Toyota from the same era would be a great choice. Much easier/cheaper to maintain and run, hold their value so you can upgrade when you're ready, very reliable, etc.
a well maintained ls430 like you just posted would also be a great car and very reliable since it looks well maintained, so just something to think about.

Last edited by Ellesse; 12-02-23 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-02-23, 10:45 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks like a pretty solid maintenance history on that particular car!

And yeah, don't sweat the drain plugs being replaced. Now if they were saying that they were putting new oil pans on every oil change, that would be a different story!
Old 12-03-23, 07:34 AM
dragonmilk
Driver

Close but not quite - bought two new cars and so this would be my first used car. ('21 passat and '24 honda odyssey). The maintainence has been under complimentary service so far so haven't checked the details yet (though will have to do so for my passat soon). Drive <6k miles a year as my wife has a < 5 mile commute while I work from home and drop kids off for daycare/get groceries etc. with the other vehicle.
Old 12-03-23, 10:57 PM
XTortionist01
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my 2002 LS430 UL One day after it was listed on Cargurus back in April drove about 45 minutes to get it paid $7500 135k miles on it car has been great but I noticed if I get on the gas one of my cats smells bad but no OBD code on the car yet so might be able to save it with some cataclean not sure
Old 12-03-23, 11:45 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

Just bought my 05 430 CL model from Offer Up last month. I’ve bought most of my cars from Offer Up since hardly anyone locally uses Craigslist anymore.

That or FB market place. But I don’t have a FB anymore, so I just use Offer Up for the most part. I feel like Offer Up, people are more accountable since you can see their ratings and how long they’ve been on the app. So it’s a bit safer in that regard too.

Prior to me buying my 05, I checked out an 04 UL model at a local used car dealer, but they were asking $16,500 for it. Although it had low miles, the paint had a lot of scrapes and scratches. It looked like it was involved in a minor accident since the front bumper looked to be repainted and was missing front clips. The passenger side mirror was broken as well.

For the price, that car should have been perfect from the inside out, but it was not. So I passed on it for good reasons, and purchased the second best model which is the CL package that is midnight pearl with the ecru interior. It’s beautiful inside n out, since I really like this color combination. The pearl white exterior on Lexus cars during these years were absolutely stunning to look at, especially at night.

It’s getting harder to find these cars with low miles, or even high miles that are in really good condition for an affordable price with the options everyone wants like the UL and or CL & ML packages. And if they are priced fair and are in excellent shape, they tend to sell instantly. Like within a day or so.

I literally saw a black on black 04 LS 430 ML package that had around 130k miles on be car with the OG chrome wheels, and that car sold less than a day being posted on Offer Up! I guess someone from the L.A. area came down to SD and bought the car from what I was told by the owner.

So you have to act quick if you really want a clean one especially if the price is listed under $10k. This goes for the 04-06 models though, the pre-face lift models are priced a lot cheaper from what I can tell. So if you’re not too concerned about the looks and the 6-speed transmission, you could opt for the earlier years and save a lot money in the process.
Old 12-04-23, 07:01 AM
dragonmilk
Driver

I'm more risk-averse and would be happy with a clean base model '05 or '06 without the ultra luxury frills and potential headaches. I've never heard of Offer Up and will look into it
Old 12-04-23, 05:09 PM
BBE4300
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where I'm from, a lot of the LS430's were brought in from Singapore as imports, and surprisingly, majority of these LS430's were bought by the same high society, wealthy family - or descendants of them.

You could imagine how they took care of the car.

Mine was and still is in a state.

When I first drove my LS430 home, i had to remove hair pins from the sun visor (they didn't care). Front 2 seats had holes in them, had to get seat covers for now. Steering wheel and shift **** look like someone with bad ADHD used fingernails to peel off the leather until the plastic was exposed. Mats look like they have sauce stains on it.

I did, however, do what any LS430 owner should do, and do basic maintenance and the timing belt job. was quite surprised to find the timing belt that came off was basically brand new. so was the trans mount. so someone did sort of care for it, but not entirely.

Never giving up on this car. Dream car
Old 12-05-23, 09:03 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 238 Likes on 194 Posts

I found mine on AutoTrader.co.uk but also looked at cars I found on eBay.co.uk and a couple of other UK based car sites.
I hadn't decided whether I wanted an LS400, LS430 or LS460 but had a budget and wanted to figure out which was best for me.

The LS400s felt smaller inside (I'm 6'4" & 400lbs) and were a bit wallowy.
The LS460s felt rougher and were much higher mileage for the same money.
I test drove 3 different LS430s and bought my 2004 UL because it was the best of the bunch.
The other 2 were just a bit neglected and obviously less loved.
The only -ve on mine was scruffy wheels, but the dealer agreed to have them restored as part of the deal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Owners - how did you find your LS430?