LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-17, 08:29 AM
ProjektSON
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just clean the throttle body and maf. Swapped DRL's and fog lights for Nokya 2500k bulbs, beautiful yellow. Also, DRL connectors had white residue, so clean all of the connectors with electronic cleaner.
Old 05-01-17, 09:28 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ProjektSON
Just clean the throttle body and maf. Swapped DRL's and fog lights for Nokya 2500k bulbs, beautiful yellow. Also, DRL connectors had white residue, so clean all of the connectors with electronic cleaner.
Any pics of the fog lights?
Old 05-01-17, 09:43 AM
ProjektSON
Rookie

Originally Posted by caverman
Any pics of the fog lights?
Yes sir.
Old 05-08-17, 11:53 AM
ProjektSON
Rookie

Went ahead and did this mod today. Foglights on without having to have headlights on.
Old 05-08-17, 01:47 PM
zsrule65
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Screamed at it

trying to change rear hub and just can't get dust cover off to get at the hub bolts. So frustrated that I called a mobile mechanic to come do it tomorrow. Doesn't make sense to me cuz seeI don't see how it goes past the abs cog. Great write up on how to do it but I just can't. I still love it and can't wait to drive it again. Been down for four days
Old 05-08-17, 01:54 PM
zsrule65
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlights

They were pretty bad
I didn't take a before picture of this side but you can see from the other side they were both bad
The following users liked this post:
LatinLS430 (05-13-17)
Old 05-12-17, 07:40 PM
Jkallinen
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Took it on its its first real road trip since buying and driving it 112 miles home in January. Had to take the wife up to Edina in the MSP area. Its 84 miles one way.
Was totally amazed at the mileage after getting home and topping it off. 27.2 MPG. The same mileage I got driving it home a couple months back. Even better
then my Honda Odyssey.
Old 05-19-17, 04:14 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

took my car in for 125,000 mile service today. while I was there I had my battery replaced in my smart key. last time it was replaced was November 2014 so 2 and a half years. cost was $6.50, same as it was 2 and a half years ago.
Old 05-19-17, 05:55 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
took my car in for 125,000 mile service today. while I was there I had my battery replaced in my smart key. last time it was replaced was November 2014 so 2 and a half years. cost was $6.50, same as it was 2 and a half years ago.
I replaced both the batteries on mine three weeks ago and it cost me 50 cents each,

But today I spent way too much to replace the timing belt that had only 52K on it, but it had 13 years on it. Had it done by Certified Lexus mechanic and paid too much because on THIS job I want only someone that knows what he is doing.

Changing the fob battery was a job for an idiot so I did it myself because there are no consequences for failure.
Old 05-19-17, 06:33 PM
Jkallinen
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Installed my new New NAV disk. Took less time then I thought it would. took longer to empty out the trunk. Sure is nice to see the streets in my town now.
Old disk only showed the main roads.
Old 05-27-17, 10:33 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zsrule65
They were pretty bad
I didn't take a before picture of this side but you can see from the other side they were both bad

I did that yesterday but I clear coated mine so it doesn't fade ever again

Also did a stack of paintwork on my LS, stripped off about a hundred layers of crap paint off both bumpers, fixed paint delamination on the right front and rear quarters, did a rust repair on the left front door under the wing mirror, fixed that wing morror and blended the colour through all 4 quarters and the door. Once its all back together it'll look beautiful, as far as a crappy grey green goes anyway
Old 05-28-17, 05:34 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Just fixed the loose center console lid on my silver 04. Easier than I thought.
Old 05-28-17, 08:23 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootymad
Once its all back together it'll look beautiful, as far as a crappy grey green goes anyway
Funny....you must be talking about the Cypress Pearl color. I just pick up an LS in that color a couple months ago and I'm still not 100% used to it. I had a Silver LS430 before that and I loved that color combo. I bought the Cypress Pearl because I felt like I got a good deal on a pretty solid one owner car. I had to forego color over car quality. 80% of the time I'm totally fine with the color but when it's sunny outside and it's is certain light it's way to green for my liking. My plan is to move on to a 460L in a couple years anyway.

BTW: I had to do the headlights on my Cypress Pearl as well. It was the first time I've restored headlights and I was pretty happy how they turned out. After wet sanding I coated mine with a Krylon Clear spray paint that was made for UV protection. I ended up putting on 3 coats but probably should have stuck with just 2. The last coat gave me some ever so slight orange peel in the top corner of one of the lights. You can't see it unless you go looking for it so I'm going to leave it alone.

Originally Posted by Bob04
Just fixed the loose center console lid on my silver 04. Easier than I thought.
I had to fix the console in my new one as well. It was surprisingly easy. I think about how the previous owner probably suffered with a bad console for years. Also, when I pulled my console out I found a $6k check that had been there for about 5 years. You know the owner had to have freaked out for a while not knowing what happened to that check.

Last edited by caverman; 05-28-17 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-28-17, 10:22 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Swapped out the Stabilizer bushings and decided the links were well past their useful life, so I ordered new ones and will install when they arrive. I also changed the rear diff oil and put synthetic in. As I guessed the gear lube that was in the diff looked like new, even with 65,000 miles on it...
Old 05-29-17, 06:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Been riding as a passenger in the back with my son. My wife tends to drive a bit fast which only bothers me from an insurance surcharge standpoint, if she were to get a ticket. I glanced at the speedo and it was 95 mph on the turnpike, sadly, often only 5-10 mph faster than others, so in general it moves. Rather than tell her to back it down, I was listening for any noises or vibrations, and there were none. Also, pulling out of a fast food joint, to my surprise, she chirped the tires. Woulda thought traction control would have stopped that. In a heavy downpour she put the wipers on full fast--have to admit, the LS' wipers are the quietest of any of our cars, and they don't slap....

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?