LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-17, 02:14 PM
ProjektSON
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lildann
Last weekend I took her and my wife's GS to Riverside Meet in Chattanooga. Very fun and laid back event.
Bruhhh. Same exact wheels as mine (coming off my 240) except mine are step lip. Looks good man.
Old 04-25-17, 07:10 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Added a GROM USB3 to mine tonight. Bought it so I could play MP3 off a USB stick as well as playing Pandora.
Old 04-25-17, 09:06 PM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Replaced rear struts/shocks

Using rkw77080's great write up,
I replaced both rear struts/shocks. I found one of them leaking oil.
Luckily, my local indie shop down here allowed me to get hands on with their tools and lift plus a ton of help from one of their techs.. Tequila, especially "1942" works wonders down here. Better than scotch!

While there was no real notable driving experience change, probably due to a recently caught problem, we changed them both. The piece of mind thing I guess.

Thanks to rkw77080 and the boys at Robert's Automotive in Port Isabel... I'm ready for another 100k or so road trip in my 2006 ls "Serenity".

​​​​​​​Doug k
Old 04-26-17, 05:12 AM
ProjektSON
Rookie

Originally Posted by caverman
Added a GROM USB3 to mine tonight. Bought it so I could play MP3 off a USB stick as well as playing Pandora.
How do you like it? My friend sold me his old USA-SPEC system, it's for 30pin ipod and RCA, might buy the grom later down the line after more maintenance is done on her.
Old 04-26-17, 11:34 AM
Jkallinen
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just changed out my hood struts. WOW, what a difference they make when lifting the hood.
Old 04-26-17, 11:47 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkallinen
Just changed out my hood struts. WOW, what a difference they make when lifting the hood.
I went Monroe...were yours OEM Tokicos that came out? I noticed that the OEMs don't separate like most do, where you take a screwdriver and pop the clip out. Also, the Monroes are not strong enough to lift the hood to the full open position by themselves.

I just changed the struts on my other car with Stabilus (they make the OEM which are $62 discount) that cost $16 each shipped, and they lift the hood all the way up from a certain point. Not sure if Stabilus makes them for the Lexus or not....
Old 04-26-17, 11:52 AM
Jkallinen
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I went Monroe...were yours OEM Tokicos that came out? I noticed that the OEMs don't separate like most do, where you take a screwdriver and pop the clip out. Also, the Monroes are not strong enough to lift the hood to the full open position by themselves.

I just changed the struts on my other car with Stabilus (they make the OEM which are $62 discount) that cost $16 each shipped, and they lift the hood all the way up from a certain point. Not sure if Stabilus makes them for the Lexus or not....
The originals like you say, do not come apart at the ball joint. I bought a package deal on struts from Amazon. So far they are working out great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDTAA8S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDTAA8S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-27-17, 03:37 PM
anthony s
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Made a video of my recent mufflers install! Make sure you watch in 1080p HD!

Old 04-28-17, 01:00 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ProjektSON
How do you like it? My friend sold me his old USA-SPEC system, it's for 30pin ipod and RCA, might buy the grom later down the line after more maintenance is done on her.
I'm still playing around with it but I like it pretty well so far. I did find out a few more things about it though. First off it sounds way better playing music from Spotify than Pandora but you have to have a premium account ($10 mth) to see the artist/music in the Nav. I think that's the only music app that will show the artist/title, they confirmed Pandora won't even with a paid account ($5 mth). I never got an answer back on other apps like Amazon Music but I suspect it won't.

However, it does what I was ultimately looking to do which was play music off my phone and MP3 off of my USB stick.
Old 04-28-17, 01:26 PM
lildann
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ProjektSON
Bruhhh. Same exact wheels as mine (coming off my 240) except mine are step lip. Looks good man.
thanks. I appreciate that. Any pics of your car?
Old 04-28-17, 03:37 PM
Gillie90
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
I realize that LS430 forum is missing this standard thread

I will start first...
Checked coolant level. There is coolant in the radiator but the reservoir was empty. I added distilled water for now. Will watch to see if there is a leak or just evaporation.
Radiator will be flushed and filled at 90 K.
waiting on my wheels to come in and also got coilovers!
Old 04-29-17, 12:13 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

tranny drain and fills #2 and #3, so this means I should be at about 17% old fluid, close enough. The fluid that came out, representative of one drain and fill, was in fact black (it would be 54% old oil, 46% new approx per that Toyota doc that was posted)....coming up on 90k. Rear diff oil also....car is ready for 200k easily (imho)...really doesn't look like the tranny/motor mounts need replacing, we'll see, not sure how much benefit to simply do it based on age (09/05 production)
Old 04-30-17, 06:42 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

Took it for an 800+ mile road trip. First time since I brought it home two weeks ago to drive it more than 25 miles.. Drove it from Corpus Christi to Dallas and back. got 29 mpg on the highway and 22 mpg in town. Now I have my baseline. Built in RADAR detector works GREAT.
Noticed that the GPS is obstinate. Much more difficult to use than the one in my Lincoln. and much harder to see in daylight. And way over estimates how long it will take to get there, 20% over estimates driving time when driving at the speed limit. The estimate of 5 hours from Austin to Ingleside turned out to be only 4 hours ! ! Can I calibrate the speed it uses to estimate time on road?
Noticed that the messages displayed with Disp 1 button are unreadable in daylight. TOO DIM (even with pot at max) and TOO SMALL. I risk loosing control of the car with my face 2" away from the steering wheel and STILL cant read them (I nave 20/20 vision). Is there a way to make the font larger??
Old 05-01-17, 05:29 AM
ProjektSON
Rookie

Originally Posted by caverman
I'm still playing around with it but I like it pretty well so far. I did find out a few more things about it though. First off it sounds way better playing music from Spotify than Pandora but you have to have a premium account ($10 mth) to see the artist/music in the Nav. I think that's the only music app that will show the artist/title, they confirmed Pandora won't even with a paid account ($5 mth). I never got an answer back on other apps like Amazon Music but I suspect it won't.
However, it does what I was ultimately looking to do which was play music off my phone and MP3 off of my USB stick.
Nice. The USA SPEC I got from a friend is no good for me, unless I buy another cable unfortunately. It's for 04+, mine is an 02, so might just sell it and buy the GROM like I know I'm going to. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by lildann
thanks. I appreciate that. Any pics of your car?
Only had her for a week so far, gotta polish up the wheels. Been sitting on my 240 in a storage so dirty as hell. Stock, for now, besides BC coils.
Old 05-01-17, 05:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

It sat yesterday, and I loosened and torqued the lug nuts on Sat. to 76 ft. lbs., since the wheels were pulled on Sat. Drove 25 miles, and oddly none of them had loosened....(yet?). I like to recheck minimum 3X before putting the torque wrench back in the basement. I do leave a breaker bar, extension, and socket in the trunk, just in case...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?