LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2005 LS430 - drain and fill transmission + radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-14, 08:53 PM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't get it. It doesn't matter if other fluids are BETTER. Why does better even matter? Toyo fluid is DIFFERENT and the engineers designed the vehicle to use that particular fluid. If you put a "different" fluid in there, won't it screw stuff up no matter how much "better" it is?
Old 03-24-14, 09:07 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mannye
I don't get it. It doesn't matter if other fluids are BETTER. Why does better even matter? Toyo fluid is DIFFERENT and the engineers designed the vehicle to use that particular fluid. If you put a "different" fluid in there, won't it screw stuff up no matter how much "better" it is?
Trust me, you get it !!! It's the others who don't get it. They think they will "save" a few bucks, buy a "better" oil and learn the hard way that they are not smarter than Toyota. If they are wrong they will be looking at rebuilding their tranny or buying a used one. $$$$$$$$ error

These people must place very little value on their time ( to do their thorough online research ) and place a lot of faith in the nonsense posted on the internet .... and then to pour some non-Toyota fluid into the tranny.
Old 03-25-14, 07:02 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
Trust me, you get it !!! It's the others who don't get it. They think they will "save" a few bucks, buy a "better" oil and learn the hard way that they are not smarter than Toyota. If they are wrong they will be looking at rebuilding their tranny or buying a used one. $$$$$$$$ error

These people must place very little value on their time ( to do their thorough online research ) and place a lot of faith in the nonsense posted on the internet .... and then to pour some non-Toyota fluid into the tranny.
I think you need to do a little bit of research before typing... The fluid Toyota/Lexus uses is made by Mobil and is not that much different then others that can be purchased at Walmart. Using a fluid that is not labeled Toyota will not blow up your tranny. Yes, you have to make sure that it is within spec for your application... If the car is still under a factory warranty, I would use WS but most of us do not have a warranty. If available, I would rather use a higher spec fluid then one that is recommended by the manufacturer. A higher quality full synthetic fluid(better) within spec, is the one that I would use.
Old 03-25-14, 07:29 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good point.
Where do we find this written spec? And, who is it written by? And what evidence is presented that it is indeed better (or at least equal) to that which the Aisin engineers specify?
Old 03-25-14, 07:44 AM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by Gene01
Good point.
Where do we find this written spec? And, who is it written by? And what evidence is presented that it is indeed better (or at least equal) to that which the Aisin engineers specify?
Gene, EXACTLY my point.
Let us know how things work out with your tranny after you "upgrade" your oil.
It's a gamble I just wouldn't risk myself, but I actually do wish you good luck.
I really do !
Old 03-25-14, 08:31 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Do a search online and you will find the specs for WS fluid and other comparable ATF's. Like I stated, Exxon/Mobil makes this for Toyota and other companies... WS is the recommended ATF but if I can find one that is a full synthetic and also within spec, I may use it. I am not trying to be cheap and save a few bucks...
Old 03-25-14, 08:42 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plain and simple. The car was designed for Toyota fluid, use Toyota fluid. You won't be gaining anything from using a "better" fluid anyway.
Old 03-25-14, 09:52 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Ah, I think I see the problem.
I know that even though I have an engineering background, I do not have the complete set of criteria that the Aisin engineers used to evaluate the ATF requirements for their transmission. Therefore, I cannot tell whether a substitute candidate ATF is within specs or not.
Note that I'm not saying that it is not better; it very well may be.
I'm just saying that you are making a recommendation in a public forum (which is read by relatively inexperienced people, among others), without any data other than opinion.
Old 03-25-14, 09:58 PM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

is not that much different
XJSfan, I'm pretty sure you're not trying to be cheap and sincerely want to do what's best for your car. AND I can understand that you're probably sick and tired of BS from dealers. Trust me...I know what you're saying. And yes, 99% of the crap that comes out of a dealer's mouth is BS. BUT NOT FOR THIS.

Honda power steering fluid and differential fluid, Toyota/Lexus tranny fluid...do not mess around with those. Mechanics around the country not affiliated with Honda or Toyota will agree!
Old 03-25-14, 10:02 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by XJSFan
... WS is the recommended ATF but if I can find one that is a full synthetic and also within spec, I may use it.
see, you are saying IF you can find one. IF you do, how are you going to determine IF it is in spec ?
Old 03-26-14, 07:35 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stu
see, you are saying IF you can find one. IF you do, how are you going to determine IF it is in spec ?
I give up... LOL. I'll use WS when I do a drain and fill. BUT, I would bet that not all dealers use WS when they do your tranny's. You need to be specific when you go in for service and ask them to use Toyota WS... Not to start another conversation. LOL.
Old 03-26-14, 07:45 AM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by XJSFan
I give up... LOL. I'll use WS when I do a drain and fill. BUT, I would bet that not all dealers use WS when they do your tranny's. You need to be specific when you go in for service and ask them to use Toyota WS... Not to start another conversation. LOL.
You are welcome, lol, we all just saved you from yourself.

Honestly I am going to have my pan drained and filled with WS fluid tomorrow, just to see how nasty looking the fluid is at 96,000 miles It worried be a bit because IF it's real dirty ( which I doubt ) I will have to decide if I will do a complete fluid replacement.

Most of us here want the best for the cars long trouble free life. I just wish I was certain on what to do and who to have do it. I mean, it took 5 pros over 3 years to get a proper alignment on my car, so I am very careful about it
Old 03-26-14, 08:57 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Are you going to a Lexus dealer or doing it yourself? My issue is that I have worked on cars for over 35 years and I think I may know enough to get myself into trouble. LOL. I have collected cars for many years and learned how to do most maintenance myself... If I do a drain and fill, I'll probably do it myself, because my Lexus dealer last month, told me not to change the ATF and that really gets me nervous. LOL.

Last edited by XJSFan; 03-26-14 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-26-14, 09:36 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Hi, Stu.
Please post pics of your old ATF, perhaps with a drop spotted on a white paper towel. It should be a great indication of its condition at your 96K miles. Also note what it smells like (e.g. burned) if possible.
Many '04 - '06 owners would like input on how well the WS ATF stands up over time.
Thanks.
Old 03-26-14, 09:51 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gene01
Hi, Stu.
Please post pics of your old ATF, perhaps with a drop spotted on a white paper towel. It should be a great indication of its condition at your 96K miles. Also note what it smells like (e.g. burned) if possible.
Many '04 - '06 owners would like input on how well the WS ATF stands up over time.
Thanks.
This would be great. I have 79K miles on my 06 LS and will probably do the drain and fill in a month or so, if it ever warms up here. LOL.

Quick Reply: 2005 LS430 - drain and fill transmission + radiator