2003 LS 430 - Check VSC and ABS lights on but no codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-13, 05:59 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2003 LS 430 - Check VSC and ABS lights on but no codes

Hello,

The Check VSC, VSC Off and ABS lights are lit on my dash.

However when I hook up my scan tool it doesn't show any codes.

How can I find out what's wrong?

Last edited by Arcturus; 12-28-13 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-27-13, 06:54 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What scan tool lol? Chinese OBD2? It won't show anything
Get a proper scan or follow 'diag without scantool' sections of service manual (SST required).
Old 12-27-13, 07:51 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
What scan tool lol? Chinese OBD2? It won't show anything
Get a proper scan or follow 'diag without scantool' sections of service manual (SST required).
I am using this scan tool - Innova 3030e:

http://www.canobd2.com/en-US/Product...8-b45567c5120d

I am not sure where the tool is manufactured, but it is a US company.

Please define a "proper scan".

Do you have a copy of "diag without scantool" sections of service manual? If not where can I get one?

I do not know what SST is.

Thanks,

Last edited by Arcturus; 12-27-13 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-27-13, 02:44 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

your scanner is cheap obd2 reader. to access systems other than engine (and theres about 20 of these) you need dealer level scantool (intelligent tester 2 or toyota techstream).
however, i already posted in recent tread a link to page from service manual describing procedure to pull codes without dealer tool. sst is special service tool.
Old 12-27-13, 08:01 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

your scanner is cheap obd2 reader. to access systems other than engine (and theres about 20 of these) you need dealer level scantool (intelligent tester 2 or toyota techstream).
however, i already posted in recent tread a link to page from service manual describing procedure to pull codes without dealer tool. sst is special service tool.
Understood. I don't have thousands of dollars to purchase one of these.

Could you paste the link for the thread that you are referring to here?

Thanks!
Old 12-28-13, 05:35 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Here you go bro.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8240728-post18.html

Please be VERY careful and read couple of times before proceeding.

Ask first =)
Old 12-28-13, 07:57 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Here you go bro.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8240728-post18.html

Please be VERY careful and read couple of times before proceeding.

Ask first =)
Great! Thanks very much.

If I understand correctly, I need to jump pins 4 and 13, shown in the DTC diagram on page DI-343.

Pin 4 would be the fourth pin from the right on the bottom row (row with the larger part of the tapered connector). Pin 13 would be the fifth pin from the right on the top row (row with the smaller part of the tapered connector).

A couple of questions for you:

1) When I jump the pins. Do I KEEP the pins connected while the error messages are flashing? Or just touch them together?

2) Do you know where I can get a electronic copy of the complete service manual? You can PM me if you want.
Old 12-28-13, 08:00 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Arcturus
Great! Thanks very much.

If I understand correctly, I need to jump pins 4 and 13, shown in the DTC diagram on page DI-343.

Pin 4 would be the fourth pin from the right on the bottom row (row with the larger part of the tapered connector). Pin 13 would be the fifth pin from the right on the top row (row with the smaller part of the tapered connector).

A couple of questions for you:

1) When I jump the pins. Do I KEEP the pins connected while the error messages are flashing? Or just touch them together?

2) Do you know where I can get a electronic copy of the complete service manual? You can PM me if you want.
Sorry here's the diagram. Of the pins to jump for the LS430.
Attached Thumbnails 2003 LS 430 - Check VSC and ABS lights on but no codes-jump_these_pins.jpg  
Old 12-28-13, 08:51 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Please do not jump-disconnect pins with IGN on. ONLY when instructed to do so in document.
Usually when it asks to 'jump pins using SST' that means you connect them with car OFF, then switch IGN ON, keeping jumper in place.
But when it's instructed to do otherwise (e.g. zero-point sensor calibrate procedure), there may be a need to connect/disconnect jumper when car is 'live'/ign on.
Please read many times before attempting and keeping in mind that, it's a japanese manual (some translation glitches may be present).

For complete LS430 manual you can pm me (i've freed some pm space for you), but it won't be free i'm afraid.
Old 12-28-13, 01:13 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Please do not jump-disconnect pins with IGN on. ONLY when instructed to do so in document.
Usually when it asks to 'jump pins using SST' that means you connect them with car OFF, then switch IGN ON, keeping jumper in place.
But when it's instructed to do otherwise (e.g. zero-point sensor calibrate procedure), there may be a need to connect/disconnect jumper when car is 'live'/ign on.
Please read many times before attempting and keeping in mind that, it's a japanese manual (some translation glitches may be present).

For complete LS430 manual you can pm me (i've freed some pm space for you), but it won't be free i'm afraid.
Is there serious damage that can occur if you jump the wrong pins? Has it happened to you or someone you know before?

What about those Toyota Tech knock-offs on ebay. Have you or anyone you know used those?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2013-Newest-M...98124a&vxp=mtr

You may laugh, but on another site I am on one of the guys bought a similar kit for a SAAB and it worked! Not sure if others have done it for Lexus.
Old 12-28-13, 04:23 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Well i used 'jump' technique about 5 times and every time without any problems. You just have to be careful.
I don't think that major damage can be done with wrong pins, but it's kinda foolproof - the picture shows pins locations and numbers exactly as you will see them when looking at DLC3 port. If i recall correctly, DLC3 port even have small numbers near each pin.

PM me about manual and cable for more info.
Old 01-09-14, 04:25 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Well i used 'jump' technique about 5 times and every time without any problems. You just have to be careful.
I don't think that major damage can be done with wrong pins, but it's kinda foolproof - the picture shows pins locations and numbers exactly as you will see them when looking at DLC3 port. If i recall correctly, DLC3 port even have small numbers near each pin.

PM me about manual and cable for more info.
Okay. I thought the problem was ice blocks stuck in the wheel well, but the CHECK VSC, VSC OFF and ABS lights keep coming on.

It's always when I hit the highway and accelerate up to 80-100km/h. The lights will come on, then after some more driving turn off.

I finally got around to pulling the codes in the ABS computer by the paper clip method. The codes given are 32 and 36. Haven't had time to look in the service manual, anyone know what these mean? I will look tonight.
Old 01-09-14, 04:27 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

other thread have info for you
Old 01-09-14, 04:29 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

other thread have info for you
Thanks. Did the response earlier on the iphone, but had some errors so I didn't know if it went through.
Old 08-18-14, 07:07 PM
MIKEROCK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jumper question please confirm

I've been reading the forums, thank you everyone for all the great feeds. I just want to make Sure I do this correctly.

Steps:

With the car off I place the jumper into the proper pins
turn key to ign on
remove jumper
turn ign to run
and drive

please confirm these are the correct steps.

Quick Reply: 2003 LS 430 - Check VSC and ABS lights on but no codes