LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

vehicle inspection internet purchase s. Florida

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-13, 12:37 PM
wmbinford
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default vehicle inspection internet purchase s. Florida

Anyone know of a good independent vehicle inspector new Palm Beach?

If a Lexus dealer offers a used car for sale will they do their certification inspection on it for money? Can they be depended on since they obviously have a conflict of interest?
Old 12-15-13, 12:42 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Lexus dealers won't certify anything that is not theirs. Search Yelp.com for auto repair near Palm Beach. You can read user reviews and find a good local mechanic to inspect the car. I would look for ones that specialize in Japanese cars.
Old 12-15-13, 05:30 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't speak for FL, TX, or GA, but in CA the seller is required to have a passing smog inspection.

If you are referring to a safety inspection or a pre-purchase inspection, I have not heard of any Lexus dealer refusing to do it, but they will charge for the service (about $150 in my experience).
Old 12-15-13, 09:05 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

not sure if you are buying it from a lexus dealer or not but if you aren't, have lexus of palm beach inspect it.
Old 12-16-13, 06:16 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

If the car is formally Lexus certified you should have nothing to worry about. But I think all LS430s are too old for Lexus cert program at this point. Yes you can pay Lexus service department to inspect a used car that the Lexus used car department has for sale. Not sure on degree of trust issue - most Lexus dealers are honest but I am sure some are not. If you are very picky about cosmetics it can be very difficult to buy a car sight unseen. I personally have done this but I have flown to pick up the car with understanding that if it was misrepresented (in my judgement not theirs) in anyway and I was not 100% satisfied that they would refund my deposit. Again most Lexus dealers will behave honorably in this case because they have a reputation to uphold and they deal with different sort of clientele and mostly (not always) the quality of sales staff reflects that. I would never buy a used car sight unseen from a non-Lexus dealer except for Mercedes - as for the rest unfortunately 99% of misc car dealers cannot be trusted.
Old 12-16-13, 09:12 AM
wmbinford
Driver School Candidate

As usual, Jabberwock, your advice is relevant, cogent, and timely. Thank you. Where is Texas are you? I feel I owe you at least a great lunch some day.
Old 12-16-13, 09:14 AM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in the area. Try Eric's Wrench in Delray Beach. He used to work as a Lexus mechanic and opened his own shop. I hear folks will drive from Miami to service their car with him.

If there's a specific one at the Palm Beach Lexus dealer,I may have some time to test drive if you want.

I recently bought my LS430 from an elderly lady in Boca with low miles. You may want to keep your eyes open for one on Craigslist too.
Old 12-16-13, 01:56 PM
beneteau
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it Palm Beach Lexus?

I bought our 2012 Camry SE from them "sight unseen" except for pictures. Shipped to our front door near Memphis, TN. Couldn't be more pleased.
Old 12-16-13, 02:46 PM
wmbinford
Driver School Candidate

Actually, it was Palm Beach Lexus. But even though Auto Trader says it was newly listed, when I talked to someone down there today they said it was sold several weeks ago. I am disappointed, but expect a lot of this looking for the car I want.

Thanks again fellows. I owe this forum and I will pay my debt.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...58254287&Log=0

http://www.lexusofpalmbeach.com/Vehi...-FL/2109237583

Weston
Austin, Texas
Old 12-16-13, 08:35 PM
wmbinford
Driver School Candidate

In July of this year I posted about a 'perfect" 2005 with 12.5k miles for $25k. Well, that car came back on the market from the original seller and pending a good inspection from a mobile inspection service tomorrow I will pick it up for $23,750. No nav, keyless entry, basic car. White on gray. It has 13,500 miles on it now. It's local and I know something about the one owner (and where she lives!) I accept I am paying too much, but in a year and a half looking I have not found similar close to price in the whole country. This is in my back yard. Never out of Austin, Texas and will cost me a beer or two to pick it up. Just thought I would share since we had such a lively discussion back in July.
Old 12-16-13, 09:04 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by wmbinford
In July of this year I posted about a 'perfect" 2005 with 12.5k miles for $25k. Well, that car came back on the market from the original seller and pending a good inspection from a mobile inspection service tomorrow I will pick it up for $23,750. No nav, keyless entry, basic car. White on gray. It has 13,500 miles on it now. It's local and I know something about the one owner (and where she lives!) I accept I am paying too much, but in a year and a half looking I have not found similar close to price in the whole country. This is in my back yard. Never out of Austin, Texas and will cost me a beer or two to pick it up. Just thought I would share since we had such a lively discussion back in July.
Great catch. Very low mile LS430s are very rare these days. In my opinion paying above average market rate is worth it for a very low mile cream puff. At 13k miles, if it's been garaged, should be almost like new condition.
Old 12-16-13, 09:22 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Also in the area about 30 mins from lexus of palm beach is JM lexus. They always have cream puff LS430's for sale. I have bought two from the already. Usually snowbird cars with low miles. They recondition their cars and they are always like brand new 430's. . Their cars really look new once they are done with them. Just wanted to let u know incase you are continuing your search for a FL car.
Old 12-17-13, 12:38 PM
wmbinford
Driver School Candidate

Alas, front bumper and front fender repainted. Two owners. And though checked out didm"t smell right. Paying over market needed to be pristine. So still looking. (It was beautiful though.)
Old 12-17-13, 01:22 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

That's too bad.

Here is a link for you. I would not get hung up on such low mileage. Considering these cars go 300k miles no problem, a LS430 with 100k miles is really nothing. When I purchased mine I also drove an 06 with 60k but my 04 with 104k drove exactly as good if not better. Personally, I think the ideal point to purchase is just after the previous owner had the timing belt / water pump replaced.

Link

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-17-13 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-17-13, 04:00 PM
beneteau
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll tell you something I learned and verified by someone in the auto business.

Some of the best late model autos with the best prices are located on the east coast of Florida. Lots of wealth from Palm Beach to Miami. Plenty of money to purchase automobiles (luxury and otherwise). Drive a year or a few then trade them in. Low mileage. Dealers in Memphis, TN purchase several cars (all brands) each week in Florida then transport them to Memphis for resell on their lots. The transport company that brought my Camry from Palm Beach brings a trailer load of cars "each week" from the Palm Beach area to Memphis dealers. That can be verified by reviewing the Carfax on a particular car which lists the origin and owner's state.

It took me 3 months of continuous online shopping before I found the 2012 Camry at Palm Beach Lexus. It had 5,700 miles----traded in on a Lexus and the owner, I'm sure, "took a bath". I bought the Camry $ 8,000 less than a comparable one in my area. To this day, I cannot believe what I paid for that car.

If I ever buy another auto, I'll use the same procedure and shop online on the east coast of Florida.

Being patient in your search is the key.

Quick Reply: vehicle inspection internet purchase s. Florida