LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 with Megan EZ Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-13, 07:34 PM
kenTHUNDER
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 with Megan EZ Coilovers

So I'm thinking about getting some Megan EZ coilovers. I have a 2001 LS430 with 56k miles on it and I run 20" MRR HR3 wheels. I'm on stock everything, besides wheels.

I only want to drop the ride height 3", maybe 4" all around. I don't want my wheels/tires tucking... My question is, will I need any other parts besides the coilovers (like camber, toe, etc.) or will the OEM stock parts be sufficient to hold the drop?
Old 10-17-13, 09:39 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I run EZ coilovers and you shouldn't need anything else if you don't plan on tucking tires or wheels. You can get Megan camber, toe, and traction for alignment purposes but it's optional.

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend spending the extra money on BC Coilovers. They're better quality and you can get custom spring rates. I plan on selling my Megans to go with custom BC's since my EZ's are to bouncy in the rear.
Old 10-18-13, 01:39 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Kira X,

Have you thought of just buying custom springs for ur current dampers? may be less hassle / cheaper to just upgrade the springs.

i think SWIFT Springs does this still. should be about 150-200 per pair.
Old 10-18-13, 06:10 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by DriftGirl
Kira X,

Have you thought of just buying custom springs for ur current dampers? may be less hassle / cheaper to just upgrade the springs.

i think SWIFT Springs does this still. should be about 150-200 per pair.
I was considering buying custom springs but I would rather go with custom BC's. I may get SWIFT springs on the BC's.
Old 10-18-13, 06:52 AM
kenTHUNDER
Rookie

Cool cool... I appreciate the feedback.

...and you have a point, KiraX, I'm mainly thinking Megan EZ's more so on the "bang for buck" aspect. Although, BC's have been my other option bc I hear great things about them. Either way, thanks again!!
Old 10-18-13, 09:12 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by kenTHUNDER
Cool cool... I appreciate the feedback.

...and you have a point, KiraX, I'm mainly thinking Megan EZ's more so on the "bang for buck" aspect. Although, BC's have been my other option bc I hear great things about them. Either way, thanks again!!
You're welcome!

EZ's are a good value considering how expensive coilovers usually are. The great thing about both the Megans and BC's is that they're both cheap to order replacement shocks for if you ever have any issues. I would still recommend BC's since you can customize them.

Depending on how soon you want the coilovers I think Circuit MS (one of the vendors on Club Lexus) had the BC's on sale for Black Friday last year and will probably do it again next month.
Old 10-18-13, 11:28 AM
Crillz
Driver School Candidate

Kira X,

How do the Megan's ride? I've had coilovers on my other cars but they were sports cars. I don't mind losing some of the softness but I don't wanna be bouncing around like I was with my previous setup.
Old 10-18-13, 01:42 PM
kenTHUNDER
Rookie

Nice and ya I can hold off for a month or 2, no rush...

I know the EZs spring rates are 10kg front and 8kg rear. I guess if I go with BCs and get custom spring rates, I'll want to go 10kg front and 10kg rear? Is that what you're suggesting?
Old 10-18-13, 01:58 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Crillz
Kira X,

How do the Megan's ride? I've had coilovers on my other cars but they were sports cars. I don't mind losing some of the softness but I don't wanna be bouncing around like I was with my previous setup.
yea I am on my 3rd day with my LS and im scared to death of losing that luxury comfort of the stock suspension.

If I decide to go lower I think I would just stick to lowering springs.
Old 10-18-13, 04:17 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by Crillz
Kira X,

They rode alright when I was on my stock 18 inch wheels. It was surprisingly smooth. Now that I run a set of 20"s the rears bounce around a lot and it drives me crazy. The ride quality isn't as good right now but that's mainly an issue with the tires I'm using.

Originally Posted by kenTHUNDER
Nice and ya I can hold off for a month or 2, no rush...

I know the EZs spring rates are 10kg front and 8kg rear. I guess if I go with BCs and get custom spring rates, I'll want to go 10kg front and 10kg rear? Is that what you're suggesting?
Actually you will want to go with 16kg up front and 14kg in rear from what I was told by a few members with BC's. A friend of mine has that setup on his LS and he says it rides smooth. Those specs would allow it to be stiff enough to not rub with people in the car and smooth enough to still be enjoyable.

With my EZ's I can't drive with anyone else in the car or the rears start bouncing like crazy. The spring rate is just too low. I've had to raise the rear up a lot higher than the front because of the rubbing and it's still pretty bad. When I order my BC's I plan on going with 18kg up front and 16kg in the rear so I drive to car shows slammed. I won't have the car that low all the time though.

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
yea I am on my 3rd day with my LS and im scared to death of losing that luxury comfort of the stock suspension.

If I decide to go lower I think I would just stick to lowering springs.
Yeah, that's something I wasn't willing to give up at first. You could get a set of BC's with SWIFT springs, Tanabe's, or the HKS Hypermax coilovers if you want to keep that smooth ride and still go low.

Otherwise I would do springs like you said or look into aftermarket air.
Old 10-18-13, 06:28 PM
kenTHUNDER
Rookie

Thanks, KiraX!! Your input on these coilovers is exactly what I was hoping and looking for!!

Just one more question though lol... How do I go about getting the custom spring rate I want? I'm guessing I request the specific spring rate upon ordering from the seller?
Old 10-18-13, 08:26 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely ask the seller. If you plan to go low, make sure and order the extreme drop version.

Mike(OG from vipstylecars) took very good care of me. You can order the extreme drop versions which are 20mm shorter than the normal BC coils, or really custom ones in 20mm increments(20mm, 40mm, 60mm shorter etc).

I run 20mm shorter versions with 14k/12k springs. If I did it again, I would've gone with 40mm shorter housings and the 16k/14k setup without a doubt. It really depends on what you're after though, my rim fitment and ride height dictate my preference.
Old 10-19-13, 05:17 AM
MikeyLV
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a pic of my car as it sits now with my Megan EZ's, forgot to attach one in the PM I sent.
The following users liked this post:
Marcusduongggg (01-09-24)
Old 10-19-13, 05:34 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by SQuester
Definitely ask the seller. If you plan to go low, make sure and order the extreme drop version.

Mike(OG from vipstylecars) took very good care of me. You can order the extreme drop versions which are 20mm shorter than the normal BC coils, or really custom ones in 20mm increments(20mm, 40mm, 60mm shorter etc).

I run 20mm shorter versions with 14k/12k springs. If I did it again, I would've gone with 40mm shorter housings and the 16k/14k setup without a doubt. It really depends on what you're after though, my rim fitment and ride height dictate my preference.
I didn't realize you could get 40mm and 60mm shorter coilovers as well. Maybe I'll go with the 40mm shorter ones.
Old 10-19-13, 06:06 AM
kenTHUNDER
Rookie

Thanks SQuester!! Good stuff!

And MikeyLV, dam that looks very clean!! I like the look! But after reading what these other people say, do u have a bouncy ride? Or is it tough riding with other people in car?

Quick Reply: LS430 with Megan EZ Coilovers