LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

oil pan gasket and removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-13, 09:45 AM
gemineye
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil pan gasket and removal

Last time I changed my oil, I noticed the oil pan gasket was leaking. It wasn't too bad so i figured I'd change it out at the next oil change.....and it's just about that time for another oil change. I was going to order the replacement oil pan gasket from Sewell Lexus but I can't seem to locate the part # for this item. Does anyone happen to know what part # I should be ordering for an oil pan gasket for a 2002 LS430?

Thanks,
Randy G.
Old 10-15-13, 12:31 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get it from Rock Auto. It is Fel-Pro part # OS30749. Use a very light coat of anaerobic sealant or blue permatex on the lower pan side. Screw it back together. I usually wait an hour before filling with oil.
Old 10-15-13, 03:12 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

im gonna have to drop the oil pan of my 96 240sx, and i searched for a gasket but i couldnt find one. turns out there isnt one, one is just supposed to use liquid gasket material.

now lorenr already mentioned there is indeed a gasket for your application, and i would rather use a gasket than just liquid gasket alone, BUT i am just letting you know that you would also be fine JUST using liquid gasket. just another option
Old 10-16-13, 06:52 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There's NO oil pan (and trans pan) gaskets in LS430!!!
They are made each time with RTV sealer.
Some cars have gaskets installed at factory, BUT service manual calls for removal of gasket and using RTV sealer.
Old 10-19-13, 01:30 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
There's NO oil pan (and trans pan) gaskets in LS430!!!
They are made each time with RTV sealer.
Some cars have gaskets installed at factory, BUT service manual calls for removal of gasket and using RTV sealer.
It's true that the factory in Tahara uses FIPG (sort of like an RTV), however, they apply it using robots, and you are not a robot!

I am all the time opening up LS transmission cases where the FIPG applied by a human has squeezed into the the transmission and these particles of FIPG are very harmful, so please just use a Fel-Pro gasket, they work fabulously and no risk of contamination of your oil or tranny fluid!
The following 2 users liked this post by LScowboyLS:
mjl_rasta (04-07-17), PNWLS430 (04-25-21)
Old 10-29-13, 11:02 AM
gemineye
Driver

I went to drop the oil pan this past weekend and my attempt was unsuccessful. On other cars that I've dropped the oil pan, it wasn't that big of a deal as all the oil pan bolts were all accessible.......that is NOT the case on the 02 LS430 - the frame is in the way and prevents you from accessing the oil pan bolts.

It appears that you have to unbolt the motor mounts from the bottom and raise the engine up and away from the frame to be able to gain access to all the oil pan bolts. Is there a way to raise the engine without using an engine hoist/cherry picker? I did not want to jack up the engine using the oil pan as a jack point in fear of tweaking the oil pan and possibly preventing it from being able to create a good seal. Anybody taken on this job before and care to shed some light?

Thanks,
Randy G.
Old 10-29-13, 03:52 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

I did it without raising engine. Had to use small spanners. But it IS doable! Tip is to let oil pan sealer (it was red or something) adhere - leave the car for 24hrs before filling oil back.
Old 10-29-13, 07:03 PM
Rezonans
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem, it leaks too.
I don't want to raise the engine, its too complicated, because too many hoses on the way, don't want to gets leak from them.
Will try without, it seems to be pain in the ***.
The following users liked this post:
mjl_rasta (04-07-17)
Old 01-24-14, 03:11 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I did it without raising engine. Had to use small spanners. But it IS doable! Tip is to let oil pan sealer (it was red or something) adhere - leave the car for 24hrs before filling oil back.
Lynzoid how difficult of a job is this? I had my car on a lift today at the DIY garage and changed my caster bushings, and at the same time noticed a bad oil leak from my oil pan, so it will need to be fixed. I am thinking about doing it myself.
Old 01-25-14, 04:58 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm... 7 out of 10. I think it's DIYable.
But please ensure, that leak is not from level sender etc.
Old 03-29-17, 05:41 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Anyone confirm that the oil pan (upper, lower, or both) can be removed to replace the FIPG gasket WITHOUT removing or lifting the engine, as Lynzoid did in post #7?
Old 03-29-17, 05:46 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
Anyone confirm that the oil pan (upper, lower, or both) can be removed to replace the FIPG gasket WITHOUT removing or lifting the engine, as Lynzoid did in post #7?
Be assured... this can be a very difficult job and quite expensive if not knowing how to do yourself. Good luck. Oil leaks are not easy on the LS430.
Old 04-07-17, 04:59 PM
mjl_rasta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry having same problem 2002 oil pan leak

can it be done without lifting the whole engine out, it looks really tight on some bolts to get to them any info would be great thks, i've got a quote from a shop and its $900 just for labor
Old 04-07-17, 05:27 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Most oil leaks either oil or trans are difficult with excessive labor.
Old 04-03-21, 11:48 AM
ABLSr
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What type, size, and brand of spanners did you use, and exactly how did you use them, in order to avoid having to raise your engine to remove and replace the oil pan?

Quick Reply: oil pan gasket and removal