LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How Long do 3UZ-FE Timing Belts Last? 138,674 miles.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-17, 04:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Agree it isn't proof but isn't it hard to get the sticker unless you buy the kit? Isn't Spend all that money for the parts and then don't do the job? Hey these days, it's certainly possible to print a decal that looks correct. Then look closely and there's "Ain't sin" in small letters. Just kidding of course
The way I look at it is state inspection stickers are for sale and they look like the real thing down to a bar code that matches the info (someone I know got caught with one so LE tries to keep up and they do a pretty good job).....when a new car dealer takes the brand new 9/05 spare out of the trunk, armor alls it, and takes a pic for cars.com (implying it's got new Dunlops/OE tires), and then places it back in the trunk, or a Lexus dealer emails a internal work order, showing 4 Dunlop SPs were mounted on the vehicle as part as the reconditioning, and when you go to see the car they are 4 new made in China tires, I really don't put anything past the auto business. Doubtful at the factory there's a 1:1 ratio between belts and stickers lol

I think my point is at least my indie has no issue with you the customer walking all over the **** place snooping around at what they're doing on your car. As a matter of fact, I can call the tech and they put him on the phone, and the tech is willing to show me my car on the lift and drive it with me, etc. A dealer is never going to let you go into the work area (well actually BMW took me all around the shop because it was new and they wanted me to see it, and it was impressive, so never say never, Porsche was the same, but generally they won't let you see your car on the lift and talk to the tech)....parts being returned imho is common sense....

p.s. I know what you're saying, you, I, anyone on this forum, and 50% of the people out there, would never charge someone for work that they didn't perform. It's the other 50% that we need to worry about...
Old 07-21-17, 06:00 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Having had the oil changed yesterday at my dealership, the service writer and I got to discussing the timing belt on my 2005. he agreed with the consensus here that due to age, it should be done sooner, rather than later. The car just turned 56K, but as we know (and has been discussed) rubber can deteriorate and the ancillary parts can wear, so I am ordering the AISIN kit via Amazon, and will be installing in the next month or so. My wife doesn't drive the car that often, so I feel pretty good about letting it go for a month or two.

Peace of mind as they say...
The cool thing is he printed off all the maintenance manual steps needed for the job. Granted all that info is here, but it was a nice gesture. Then, we walked out to another LS that was in having the T-belt and water pump changed and I spoke with the tech for a few minutes. He said they have them down to about 3 hours start to finish.

I think I'll probably take a little more time than that.

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 07-21-17 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-21-17, 07:57 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 136 Likes on 102 Posts

My 2004 with 51K was purchased just 2 months ago and I too had the belt,waterpump done because of age.
Old 07-21-17, 08:27 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
He said they have them down to about 3 hours start to finish.
Was this in Glendale or Brookfield? It would be interesting to call them up and ask them how much they charged for this job and the amount of labor time involved. I somehow think that it's going to be for more than three hours.

If you need another set of eyes or hands to help you do this I'd be happy to give you a hand...
Old 07-22-17, 08:41 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Was this in Glendale or Brookfield? It would be interesting to call them up and ask them how much they charged for this job and the amount of labor time involved. I somehow think that it's going to be for more than three hours.

If you need another set of eyes or hands to help you do this I'd be happy to give you a hand...
That was at the Brookfield location, Grone. The warranty time allotted (according to Alldata) is 3.9 hours so their estimate of 3 isn't too far off the mark, but I'm sure they'd quote at least 5 hours labor, if not 6...

I'd love to have the assistance, but I'll probably be spreading this out over a few evenings after work.

It was suggested that I test or replace the radiator since the cost is minimal for a new one, but with just 56K on the car, I can't imagine it would need attention.
Old 07-22-17, 09:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Good deal, such a savings when you DIY (I did not).....I'm thinking of DIY'ing the serpentine/idlers/tensioner on my BMW, it's just kind of annoying how much stuff needs to get removed and some say the electric fans coming out make it easier. Mileage is under 52k so questionable if it really needs it... Things were much simpler on my 98 Maxima....
Old 07-22-17, 12:00 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
It was suggested that I test or replace the radiator since the cost is minimal for a new one, but with just 56K on the car, I can't imagine it would need attention.
I'd just give it a good visual inspection for any dried up coolant residue anywhere on the surface and if it was clean reuse it. Unless hit by a projectile of some sorts the leaks generally start out small on these things.

I just replaced the radiator on my 2006 Grand Caravan two months ago. Car has 193K miles on it and it was slowly losing coolant for over six months before it got to the point where it was leaking at a high enough rate that I could actual see a small spot on the ground...
Old 07-22-17, 12:23 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 136 Likes on 102 Posts

Does ANYONE know FIRST HAND of a timing belt failure? At what mileage? There is a paranoia here that doesnt seem to be justified except by the fact its an interference engine which doesnt matter....if it has never happened.......
Old 08-03-17, 07:40 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

On my 02, I have 98k miles. I've been wanting to do the timing belt when I got the car at 82k miles 3 years ago. I just dropped the car off and its all being done right now. I figured its way cheaper to have this done now then risk having it break, and spending 5k. The car is 15 years old now and the shop said its recommended it be changed at 7 years. The job is gonna be around $1250 for everything, does that seem too high? Its at a Indy shop. This car has never really been in the shop for anything since buying the car.
Old 08-03-17, 02:17 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
Does ANYONE know FIRST HAND of a timing belt failure? At what mileage? There is a paranoia here that doesnt seem to be justified except by the fact its an interference engine which doesnt matter....if it has never happened.......
agree, the concern over the belt is way overdone. Sure, it and the related parts should be done at some point, but the folks buying a well cared for LS with 50k miles and say 12 yrs on clock and rushing out to get it done right away.....geez. I'm at 90k now on an '05 and am in no particular rush. Will probably DIY next year after reading up how to do it.
Old 08-03-17, 06:00 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Did the timing belt for the very first time on my '01 at 183K miles - yes, first change at the 2nd recommended change interval. Now at 280+K ... no current plans to change it.

Last edited by Tom57; 08-04-17 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-03-17, 09:00 PM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
On my 02, I have 98k miles. I've been wanting to do the timing belt when I got the car at 82k miles 3 years ago. I just dropped the car off and its all being done right now. I figured its way cheaper to have this done now then risk having it break, and spending 5k. The car is 15 years old now and the shop said its recommended it be changed at 7 years. The job is gonna be around $1250 for everything, does that seem too high? Its at a Indy shop. This car has never really been in the shop for anything since buying the car.
I think location depends a lot. But i'd say go to a Toyota dealership for your next services to see what their costs are. Here was my cost for water pump and belt replacement at a NC Toyota dealership:

https://i.imgur.com/D1svlC1.jpg

Keep in mind I bought the Aisin TKT-021 off Amazon so tack on another $170 to the labor costs shown.
Old 08-04-17, 05:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by e60bmw
It does look like I was a "nervous nellie" having it changed at 86k and 11 yrs....likely this is why one almost never sees a sticker under the hood on cars for sale online.....and probably the seller was thinking they better get rid of the car as they have a $1,800 dealer repair coming up....

My personal opinion is that indies have reputations at stake, and they seem very willing to discuss the job, and even show you your car on the lift and taken apart, and they will do a better job than a dealer. With that being said, I do think $1250 is pretty high for an indie....dealer seems to want $1400 for the 90k job, which is belt and pump only, then $1800 for the 180k, which includes tensioner, and idlers. Indies seem to be in the $750 (I wish) to $900 ballpark for everything, using Aisin. The dealer is gonna use Lexus parts which are almost double I believe...but dealer is still more, even factoring the more expensive kit...

As mentioned I got all my old parts back, and the belt at 86k and 11 yrs. looked pretty new.....
Old 08-04-17, 06:37 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
It does look like I was a "nervous nellie" having it changed at 86k and 11 yrs....likely this is why one almost never sees a sticker under the hood on cars for sale online.....and probably the seller was thinking they better get rid of the car as they have a $1,800 dealer repair coming up....

My personal opinion is that indies have reputations at stake, and they seem very willing to discuss the job, and even show you your car on the lift and taken apart, and they will do a better job than a dealer. With that being said, I do think $1250 is pretty high for an indie....dealer seems to want $1400 for the 90k job, which is belt and pump only, then $1800 for the 180k, which includes tensioner, and idlers. Indies seem to be in the $750 (I wish) to $900 ballpark for everything, using Aisin. The dealer is gonna use Lexus parts which are almost double I believe...but dealer is still more, even factoring the more expensive kit...

As mentioned I got all my old parts back, and the belt at 86k and 11 yrs. looked pretty new.....
Yeah I'm having the tensioner and ilders done, I probably have shopped around or just taken it to Toyota honestly.
Old 08-04-17, 07:49 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by toddmorr
agree, the concern over the belt is way overdone. Sure, it and the related parts should be done at some point, but the folks buying a well cared for LS with 50k miles and say 12 yrs on clock and rushing out to get it done right away.....geez. I'm at 90k now on an '05 and am in no particular rush. Will probably DIY next year after reading up how to do it.
I kinda feel the same way. I'm sure if I tear open the cover on my 2005 (with 54K on the odo) it's going to look like new parts. So, as has been discussed thoroughly, it's more for peace of mind than anything else. But, I don't think I'll be diving into the project until next spring, at the earliest.

Quick Reply: How Long do 3UZ-FE Timing Belts Last? 138,674 miles.