LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How Long do 3UZ-FE Timing Belts Last? 138,674 miles.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-13, 07:25 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperCoupe400
Sorry to hear about that, Steve.

I just purchased an '05 LS430 with 97k on it whose belt has not yet been changed. I went ahead and got a 5yr/100k extended warranty. The warranty, however, will not cover the timing belt as a preventive measure. It will only cover if it breaks. So i've pretty much already settled in my mind that i'll simply let it fail on its own and pay the $100 deductable to cover everything damaged when the belt breaks, rather than cough up the near $1,500 out of pocket expense of a belt, pump and bearings only one week after having just laid down $2,500 on a comprehensive warranty.
I think that's poor logic. I understand your covered but I hope that you don't come to find that they require proof that the belt was changed prior to paying for damages. Most warranties require you to perform preventative maintenance. Similar to saying "I won't change my oil because my warranty doesn't cover oil changes but it does cover sludge and failed oil pumps.
I worked in the transmission business for 6 years and learned that many extended warranty companies send out inspectors to attempt to find reasons to deny claims. Also, what happens if your belt fails while driving 80 on the highway? Think about the other motorists. Not judging you, just think that for the money you invested in the car you should take care of the belt.
Old 10-24-13, 07:43 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading this thread it seems to me that the 90k service of the timing belt should include water pump and belt but for the second change everything should be changed and documented with parts returned to owner. What I don't understand is why you would drive a 60000 dollar car and not follow factory maintainance. I changed my belt at 81000 miles for piece of mind and the price was right. Even on a CPO car if the belt goes at 95000 miles your gonna pay to fix it. You voided the warranty
Old 10-24-13, 08:40 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

this is really frustrating , the fact that we have this achiles heel on these cars is ridiculous.

Not only do we have to worry about the belt breaking, we have to worry about other components failing and causing the belt to break as well as having a mechanic make a slight mistake and having the engine self destruct.

The reason I loved my first gen SC400 was the fact that it was a non interference engine, Its really a great peace of mind knowing that even if it breaks u will be fine.

Anyways im at 68 000 miles on mine and I would like to leave it until 90 000 or 100 000.

But I get the luxury of worrying about it every day until then, great :/
Old 10-24-13, 08:56 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts

I just purchased an '05 LS430 with 97k on it whose belt has not yet been changed. I went ahead and got a 5yr/100k extended warranty. The warranty, however, will not cover the timing belt as a preventive measure. It will only cover if it breaks. So i've pretty much already settled in my mind that i'll simply let it fail on its own and pay the $100 deductable to cover everything damaged when the belt breaks, rather than cough up the near $1,500 out of pocket expense of a belt, pump and bearings only one week after having just laid down $2,500 on a comprehensive warranty.

Hopefully it's not too late-- if I were you I'd cancel the warranty (I believe you can within 30 days) and use part of the money to replace the belt. If you got a well cared for LS you really won't need one. $2500 is insane, and if it's the kind of "warranty" I'm thinking it is, it's a total scam....there are about a million ways they can find angles to deny claims on, with the neglect of proper maintenance at the front of the list. Good luck regardless and congrats on the car!
Old 10-24-13, 09:45 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

You need to change timing belt regardless because the warranty won't be honored if you don't.
If you can work on the car a little, can shop for parts, find good mechanics with decent labor rates, and keep up with maintenance then you don't really need the warranty.

If you are doomed to have problems then why just the car. Anything can happen in life.

There are some typical problems with LS430 and I made a thread about it. Read it and see if you can handle DIY. If not then keep the warranty. Make sure it has bumper to bumper coverage.
Example: If you can't or don't want to change $5 motor in the door lock actuator then keep the warranty because it will cost you close to $1000 if you go to the dealer.
Old 10-25-13, 04:42 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always done my own work (head gaskets, control arm bushings, struts, ps pumps, etc) but now that I've got small kids, my weekends and evenings can no longer be devoted to car maintenance. I barely

It's all good though. Just got diagnosis on some engine lights that came on shortly after purchase. Ended up being $1800 Y-pipe repair, including catylletic (spelling). 100% covered. So that warranty is more than half way paid for already.

They also found evidence of a failing water pump, which constitutes replacement. Covered!

BOUYAA! Warranty pays for itself within one week!
Old 10-25-13, 04:56 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I've always done my own work (head gaskets, control arm bushings, struts, ps pumps, etc) but now that I've got small kids, my weekends and evenings can no longer be devoted to car maintenance. I barely

It's all good though. Just got diagnosis on some engine lights that came on shortly after purchase. Ended up being $1800 Y-pipe repair, including catylletic (spelling). 100% covered. So that warranty is more than half way paid for already.

They also found evidence of a failing water pump, which constitutes replacement. Covered!

BOUYAA! Warranty pays for itself within one week!
That's because you purchased a car that had some major problems and were quoted the most marked up dealer pricing. In general, extended warranties are not in the consumers favor. This is pretty well documented. Particularly the LS430. With the 460 I would probably want it because they are not as reliable and the parts are still rather expensive.
Old 10-25-13, 05:24 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree in the uselessness of those warranties. Was suckered into getting a 3yr one on my very first car. The car went a full 7 years or so before anything major even happened to it. Lesson learned on how bullet proof some engines are.

But I knew this car had issues that i wouldn't have time to put in the wrench work on, so I went ahead and got the coverage.
Old 10-25-13, 08:06 AM
AlexInMI
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure the extended warranty will cover the cost of replacing the belt, pump, and bearings, along with other motor damage due to a broken belt, if the regular maintenance schedule hasn't been followed (i.e., replace the belt at the recommended intervals)? I suggest you check your policy closely about that.
Old 10-25-13, 08:16 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You buy an ls430 and won't do proper maintenance to avoid a total engine failure just to spite the warranty company? They'll wind up putting a junkyard replacement motor in there rather than a full teardown if they honor the claim at all
Old 10-25-13, 09:02 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Nothing to worry people, just do your maintenance on time as schedule in your manual. Why so hard to "Listen" to Lexus directions in order to maintain a Great car. Don't blame the brand, they gave you all the tools to make this car a long lasting car with simple directions anybody can follow. Look in manual periodically, Service schedule comes up, and take car to dealer when said car reaches a certain Mileage. Done. How hard is that? Some of these remarks about maintenance seems so "Trivial" to some people, If he needs work, take care of your car.. If you can't follow simple directions to do proper maintenance, then Don't buy or own this car.
Old 10-25-13, 09:08 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

Do you need any special Lexus tools to change the timing belt? My mechanic works on Lexus' all the time at his shop and I was thinking about having him change my belt and water pump.
Old 10-25-13, 12:42 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I wouldn't be so sure.

Most warranties have escape clauses for owner neglect. Just like if you never changed the oil and the motor seized, they shouldn't be responsible just because the warranty company refused to pay for oil changes. If you have no record of changing the timing belt and it breaks, destroying the engine, I would expect them to deny the claim.

Aftermarket warranties are especially slippery about making payouts which is why I don't recommend them. I think you're better off just putting that money aside in savings and using as needed.
Old 10-25-13, 01:56 PM
Rezonans
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 407Steve
Hello friends:

I believe that the worst mistakes are hidden mistakes. I have made a very expensive mistake and want to share it with you as a cautionary tale. I admit being foolish up front. I am not defending my decisions, but I will explain them in hopes they will assist in your decisions.

In short, I delayed replacing my timing belt--too long. It was actually on order when my wife called to report that our 2001 LS430 had stopped dead on the 405 freeway.

I purchased the Arizona car with 195,000 miles for an incredible price from a truck fleet manager. He was absolutely meticulous about maintenance, and the car averaged less than 5,000 miles between dealer-completed oil changes over its entire life. When I bought it, it was due for a timing belt, but because it ran so perfectly, I thought I could wait. I waited too long while I addressed struts, door switches, etc. At 237,850, without any warning except the odometer, it let go suddenly.

I am still unsure of the entirety of the damage, but I am pulling the engine out and disassembling it to see if it is worth repairing, (I've done a few engine rebuilds in my day). The oil-related engine components appear pristine. I've never seen a prettier engine interior. It appears that an aluminum stud on the oil pump for a timing belt roller may have given way (snapped off), pinching the belt against the side of the belt housing, causing the belt to separate. OR, the belt broke and flailed enough that it broke the stud. Unsure. I am fairly sure that I have bent valves and/or pistons. There was a puddle of motor oil in the air intake plenum.

My current plan is to have the heads redone by a machine shop and swap out pistons, rods and bearings, ream and hone the cylinders, and rebuild this thing. Open to suggestions. I'll keep you posted in case anybody is interested. I have the two volume shop manual, and that's invaluable.
I have a puddle of motor oil in the air intake plenum too, that is normal for the age.
Before you start to rebuilt do you try to put new timing belt and try to spin it, may be you lucky and there is no damage to the heads.
Old 10-25-13, 02:12 PM
gomboy60
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing the story. I am going to change mine of 1996 ES soon. It has 260k currently but I remember TB has been changed around 150k, so it is kind of past due.
One note though, I have personally changed TB on my 2005 RX300 after 150k miles for the first time and pleasantly surprised how clean and pristine it looked. Of course appearance doesn't mean much.

Quick Reply: How Long do 3UZ-FE Timing Belts Last? 138,674 miles.