Hello from a new LS430 owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-13, 07:56 PM
cerberusM5
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hello from a new LS430 owner

Hello everyone!

I recently acquired a Millenium Silver 2006 LS430 CL. It's in great shape and I'm looking forward to learning more about it and keeping it in top condition. I love the quality of the interior accommodations and most of all the radiant wood trim is simply amazing to look at. Unfortunately, the wood on the steering wheel has seen better days. I guess years of UV exposure is to blame for the fading.

I did have a couple of questions.

It does have a Vaistech XM radio installed, but needs to be activated. On the NAV screen it's labelled F/W v4.40. Does anyone know what model number this is? I am trying to locate an owners manual online, to operate it properly.

Also, is there a market for the chrome OEM 18" 5 spoke wheels? I prefer the silver painted versions of the sport wheel for a more discrete look. Also, do 19" and larger aftermarket wheels look out of place on a stock height 430?

Look forward to contributing to the board.

Last edited by cerberusM5; 08-06-13 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-06-13, 08:19 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Congratulations!
Millenium Silver 2006 LS430 CL sounds like a dream to me. Many people on this board kept looking for a CL and eventually gave up.
Old 08-07-13, 07:25 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am fairly sure that the number displayed is the Firmware version number.
You might check the Vaistech web site for an instruction manual.
To register, you need to contact XM with the serial number of the receiver. If I remember right, it is displayed when you turn the Lexus receiver on, but may be different for the Vaistech.
One more thing - if it is not registered, it will still receive sample programming on channel 1.
Old 08-07-13, 11:39 AM
cerberusM5
Rookie

Just activated the XM radio. It was tough listening to the same 6 CD's for the past week or so and FM is not acceptable considering the quality of the audio system.

Now I gotta figure out how to incorporate my iPOD into the stereo.
Old 08-09-13, 02:12 PM
cerberusM5
Rookie

Default Faded wood on steering wheel

Is there a reasonably priced way to refinish the wood on the steering wheel or finding a non-faded wheel from a totaled car?

The last resort would be to cover the wheel with a leather cover, but I like the wood.

Thanks
Old 08-09-13, 02:20 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Post up some pictures
Old 08-09-13, 02:23 PM
pinnell27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes there is a very reasonable wood steering wheel refinishing method from a place in Rockwall TX. I don't have the details with me right now but they claim to have a detailed process for completely redoing the wood portion of the wheel for 200 bucks. For an additional 175 they can redo the leather as well. The only problem with this method is you are without your car/steering wheel for a week or two while the work is done. I'll hit ya back with the details later.
Old 08-09-13, 04:28 PM
cerberusM5
Rookie

Here are a couple casual shots.

I'm thinking I might keep the chrome wheels versus searching for silver ones. Do you guys think painted silver wheels look better than chrome on a silver LS?
Attached Thumbnails Hello from a new LS430 owner-rsz_120130801_164451.jpg   Hello from a new LS430 owner-rsz_120130802_140813.jpg  
Old 08-09-13, 04:37 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Looks nice. I like the chrome wheels.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-09-13 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-09-13, 05:37 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

chrome wheels require much more cleaning to keep them from pealing.i have aftermarket chrome wheels and i wash them off and dry them every 3-4 days,they are 3years old and look new.
if you live where the roads are salted you must put other wheels on for the winter or they will be shot.
congrats on you new car.
Old 08-09-13, 05:49 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

When I got my 06 LS430, I has the alloy silver ones. I sold those and went for the chrome ones like you have. I got the aftermarket ones too. I am just a chrome wheel person. I think chrome looks great on silver, black, and white cars. Some like em some dont. For a while a lot of people were out looking for the silver ones but recently I noticed a lot of people have the chrome ones. Nice car btw looks very clean!
Old 08-10-13, 02:06 AM
usa5655
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice!! super clean! welcome on board
Old 08-10-13, 09:35 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the OEM chrome wheels on my 03 UL with 128K. They require more upkeep than the alloys but I love the look on a black car. I use a chrome cleaner and wax the wheels once a month and they look like new. No pitting or chrome peeling. I have to maintain them this wY because the car is not garaged and is exposed to Florida salt air. [IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-10-13, 02:40 PM
pinnell27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, as promised here are the details for the place in Rockwall TX that refurbishes steering wheels for our LS430's. I have not had mine done yet but I plan to as the clearcoat on the wood portion of my wheel is cracked. Makes the car feel old and neglected when the rest of the car is in cherry shape.

Craft Customs
Lexus Restoration Project
892 Steger Town Rd., Ste. 59
Rockwall, TX 75032
mailto:craftcustoms@hotmail.com
tel:214-564-1170

http://www.american-stitches.com/pag...us_restore.htm
Old 08-10-13, 07:37 PM
cerberusM5
Rookie

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
chrome wheels require much more cleaning to keep them from pealing.i have aftermarket chrome wheels and i wash them off and dry them every 3-4 days,they are 3years old and look new.
if you live where the roads are salted you must put other wheels on for the winter or they will be shot.
congrats on you new car.
This is my first set of chrome wheels and will wash them often. Fortunately, it does not snow much here. Thanks

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Looks nice. I like the chrome wheels.
The chrome wheels are starting to grow on me since I purchased the car. Still think the silvers look great. Thanks

Originally Posted by LS430FL
When I got my 06 LS430, I has the alloy silver ones. I sold those and went for the chrome ones like you have. I got the aftermarket ones too. I am just a chrome wheel person. I think chrome looks great on silver, black, and white cars. Some like em some dont. For a while a lot of people were out looking for the silver ones but recently I noticed a lot of people have the chrome ones. Nice car btw looks very clean!
I'm starting to think the same way. Considering the hyperblack replicas that are a nice compromise to me. Thanks

Originally Posted by usa5655
nice!! super clean! welcome on board
Thanks

Originally Posted by A1Lexis
I have the OEM chrome wheels on my 03 UL with 128K. They require more upkeep than the alloys but I love the look on a black car. I use a chrome cleaner and wax the wheels once a month and they look like new. No pitting or chrome peeling. I have to maintain them this wY because the car is not garaged and is exposed to Florida salt air.
Your car looks great for not being garaged!

Originally Posted by pinnell27
Alright, as promised here are the details for the place in Rockwall TX that refurbishes steering wheels for our LS430's. I have not had mine done yet but I plan to as the clearcoat on the wood portion of my wheel is cracked. Makes the car feel old and neglected when the rest of the car is in cherry shape.

Craft Customs
Lexus Restoration Project
892 Steger Town Rd., Ste. 59
Rockwall, TX 75032
mailto:craftcustoms@hotmail.com
tel:214-564-1170

http://www.american-stitches.com/pag...us_restore.htm
Thanks for the contact info for the restoration company. I agree the faded wheel changes the look of the interior in a big way. My car is mint except for the wheel, which looks totally out of place.

Quick Reply: Hello from a new LS430 owner