LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

swap 05 ls430 for 06 750li for the day

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-13, 05:41 PM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swap 05 ls430 for 06 750li for the day

Me and my buddy swap cars for the day just to prove each others point . I gotta say I miss BMW for a day . I notice the 7 was a more steady cars no matter what speed . It was also real smooth but it has wind noise at 30 mph like I would usually have at 70 or so mph . The throttle response was heavier but the tranny responds better than my ls . The car felt heavier and that made the car felt like it hold the road smoother, but my ls had a more luxurious ride overall . The interior was decent but way too complicate to use the gear shifter being its all electronic . The whole car was power, all the way down to the push button e brake . I like how the center console isolate the driver from passenger but Damn that I drive crap confuse the hell out me . The car had less road noise than my ls from a standstill but after that it remind me of a sport sedan ,similiar to a gs . The Lexus to me do feel a little flimsy comparing to the 7 but at highway speed ,that's where the ls kick *** . My diffinition of luxury is floating down the highway with everything I need in my hands . Let's see what he thinks about my ls .
Old 04-21-13, 08:11 PM
DesertLS4
Driver School Candidate

I had an 09 535i Sport, twin turbo.... Would NEVER GO BACK TO BMW..... JUNK !!! Got rid of my GS300 for it. DUMBEST THING I EVER DID!

I'd rather my older LS with 2x the miles...

Just my $.02

Mike
Old 04-21-13, 08:27 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Why do you say junk? The 09 535 I drove sure handled nice, but it was not an LS as far as build and just solid feeling, but it is an easy car to abuse it handles so nice. I ran when the salesman told me expect to rebuild the front end at 100k, BMW dealers are kind of rude guys in my area..
Old 04-21-13, 09:00 PM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL BMW dealers are picked to identify with the douchebags that buy the cars! I'm just kidding (a little). While I've noticed that on the road here in Miami/Miami Beach where BMWs are thicker than mullets at a NASCAR race your rude driver will very often be driving a 525 or some Acura sedan. Now that's a sweeping generalization I know. I'm sure that somewhere out there is a nice down to earth BMW owner feeling hurt by my words. Sorry dude...I wasn't talking about you.
Old 04-22-13, 03:50 AM
Wiley9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mannye
here in Miami/Miami Beach
LOL!! As if the non-BMW drivers are any less rude in Miami? I drive a lot across the country and Miami seriously has to be the bad/rude driver capital of the country! Can't imagine how rude a BMW dealer would be in that place considering the drivers to begin with! ;-)
Old 04-23-13, 02:14 PM
DesertLS4
Driver School Candidate

Why do I say Junk? Hmmm.... in the shop 3 times in 4 months??? My neighbor's thought my name was "courtesy vehicle".

Fast a hell. Handled like a dream. Seats were amazing. Mine was the sport model.

Imagine going up a 2 lane highway and passing a semi @ 90MHP with opposing traffic and hearing "ding-ding" and a message on the screen "reduced power" when you have family in the car with you... Not cool. I didn't trust the i-Drive after the warranty was going to expire.

My neighbor has same car(non sport) with 80 K on it. 2 AC compressors and it's been in the shop a LOT....

Germans build state of the art precision machines. They just break a lot.

My 01 GS had never been in the shop... Only thing I had done to it was a power door lock... Nor my RX330. Same with my LS.

BMW- "Burns My Wallet"
Old 04-23-13, 02:15 PM
DesertLS4
Driver School Candidate

525's are older and wanna bees
Old 04-23-13, 03:39 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

If I bought my cars new and only owned under warranty, I would buy European cars like Audi and BMW. But the service issues are real, and just about every single person I know that's had to deal with them outside of the factory warranty never goes back.

And yes, I don't know what it is, but BMW owners tend to be the biggest *****s, even though I still think BMW makes some great cars.

Old Joke:
Q: What is the difference between a BMW and a Porcupine?

A: Porcupine has the ****** outside
Old 04-23-13, 07:23 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

That generation of 7 series were nice cars but the LS430 and W220 S-Class are better. The current 7 series is amazing though.

Are the newer BMW's really that unreliable? I was thinking about getting a 07-09 328i coupe.
Old 04-23-13, 10:03 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Idk why BMW gets such a bad rep, I've had 3 of them now and they've all been excellent (a 95 530, an 07 328 and a 08 528xi which i still have and switch with the LS). Yes some owners can be jerks, but name me one lux brand which doesnt have that group of ppl.... That unfortunate image comes with any sort of luxury car ownership IMO.

Originally Posted by Kira X
Are the newer BMW's really that unreliable? I was thinking about getting a 07-09 328i coupe.
I had an 07 328i sedan with a 6 spd man before getting the LS. The 3 was extremely fun to drive, handled like a go kart. The only thing that bugged me was all the squeaks and rattles (which weren't present in either 5 series ive had). Went to the dealer a bunch of times, they said they could hear it. Sadly, they couldn't fix it. From a mechanical standpoint it was superb. I'm assuming the 3 will be a weekend toy so it should def put a big grin on your face everytime you drive it, esp with the 6 spd man. Go on the BMW forums too if youre curious, they tend to be pretty helpful (though not as good as clublexus I should mention!)
Old 04-24-13, 07:44 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Idk why BMW gets such a bad rep, I've had 3 of them now and they've all been excellent (a 95 530, an 07 328 and a 08 528xi which i still have and switch with the LS). Yes some owners can be jerks, but name me one lux brand which doesnt have that group of ppl.... That unfortunate image comes with any sort of luxury car ownership IMO.

I had an 07 328i sedan with a 6 spd man before getting the LS. The 3 was extremely fun to drive, handled like a go kart. The only thing that bugged me was all the squeaks and rattles (which weren't present in either 5 series ive had). Went to the dealer a bunch of times, they said they could hear it. Sadly, they couldn't fix it. From a mechanical standpoint it was superb. I'm assuming the 3 will be a weekend toy so it should def put a big grin on your face everytime you drive it, esp with the 6 spd man. Go on the BMW forums too if youre curious, they tend to be pretty helpful (though not as good as clublexus I should mention!)
That's good to hear you didn't have any crazy engine issues. I was considering one as a daily driver, but I was also considering an NA MKIV Supra as well since my SC300 didn't give me much trouble. I'll check out some of the BMW forums and do some research. Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-29-13, 07:07 AM
DesertLS4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kira X
That's good to hear you didn't have any crazy engine issues. I was considering one as a daily driver, but I was also considering an NA MKIV Supra as well since my SC300 didn't give me much trouble. I'll check out some of the BMW forums and do some research. Thanks for the reply!

The 328 has no technology in the car.... That's why they don't break often. But you're buying the corolla of the brand.

The 5 series and up have I-drive. The _35's are twin turbos up to I think 2013 and are in the shop all the time.

I had a SC300. I sold it at 205k miles. Along with my GS, mechanically they are the best cars I ever owned with exception of my 88 Accord years ago. I would have driven it across the country.
Old 04-29-13, 08:59 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^You're right in the respect that the _35s have the high pres fuel pump issues. Earlier Idrives i hear were slow and glitchy but the newer ones are fantastic; quick, snappy, easy to use. The current ones have some of the best screens and the mousewheel is one of the best IMO, better than that touchy notchy mouse thing they put into the new Lexus i think
Old 08-13-13, 06:45 AM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

One thing I notice about BMW is they cant make a headliner that can stand humidity. After a few year it starts to sag . The plastic starts to get brittle . If you cant just live with a certain things going bad ,dont buy a Bimmer. The 3 SERIES is one of the most reliable out of the Bmw family and its still a problematic car. The funny thing is everybody that pulls up in a late model 7 always thinking they got a better car. They put on that look that saids you know whats up . I have encounter many owner of the 750li and they said they would of chose a ls.
Old 08-13-13, 07:38 AM
JLS430U
Driver School Candidate

I used to own 03 745i back in 2005. It was CPO, but I still can't believe I paid $50500 for that car. I was young and stupid basically lol. The original poster's comments on 750li is pretty dead on. BMW 7 definitely rides a lot firmer than LS, with tighter steering response and handles like a slot car. Just try changing lanes very quickly from side to side on a 2 lane road doing 25-30mph. This car will have almost zero leans during lane changes as active roll stabilization kicks in and firms up the suspension. Truly an amazing car from handling aspects.

Mechanically it's a different story. I know 06-08 had bigger engine, slight face lift both front and rear and a lot of bugs worked out. But a ton of coolant leaking issues and engine oil leaking issues on their V8 engines. I would personally avoid any 02-05 745i/745Lis, and still wouldn't fully trust 06-08 models as I've read a lot of horror stories on their engine leaking coolant and oil. Only BMW models I'd consider are the ones equipped inline 6cyl engines. My sister drives 06 325xi and with almost 100k miles absolutely no engine/trans problems except both rear OE shocks(Sachs - Made in Germany) crapped out @ 85k.

I almost went for 08 750Li recently but couldn't justify paying extra $15k, so instead I got 02 LS430 with 65k 1 owner car for $14250. I'm so glad I did my research on LS because I came very close to buying that BMW. I love every minute driving the LS and look forward to putting 300k+ miles on her.

Quick Reply: swap 05 ls430 for 06 750li for the day