LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

fuel filters replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-18, 03:00 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

Modern fuel is pretty clean and well filtered when you draw it out of the pump at any gas station (maybe it's worse in Russia?). I'm sure you've got the chance to draw sediment or contaminants if you fuel up right after the station is topped off, but it has to be pretty slim as the fuel is filtered IIRC as you pump it. I ran my xB to 155,000 miles and never had any issues, though on my old V-10 Excursion, I changed the inline filter once a year (9 mpg with a 44 gallon tank... it burned a TON of gas).

Being able to pull the assembly easily and change the sock filter probably couldn't hurt, though I'm not sure you would actually notice any improvement whatsoever.
Old 05-26-18, 03:02 PM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by bradland
Definitely a good idea.
I found the OE filter at my local Toy dealer for $28.56, granted I can drive 2 miles and pick it up with no S&H costs, maybe you can source locally with Toyota...?
https://parts.righttoyota.com/oem-pa...ter-233000a020
Please let us know how it goes, looks simple enough. I have a lengthy road trip planed this summer I can add to my maintenance list before I take off...
Don't forget the sock filter at the bottom of the assembly, #36 on the page you referenced.
Old 05-26-18, 03:39 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Definitely a good idea.
I found the OE filter at my local Toy dealer for $28.56, granted I can drive 2 miles and pick it up with no S&H costs, maybe you can source locally with Toyota...?
https://parts.righttoyota.com/oem-pa...ter-233000a020
Please let us know how it goes, looks simple enough. I have a lengthy road trip planed this summer I can add to my maintenance list before I take off...
Yes----it doesn't seem too complex to DIY, but I have some anxiety doing this myself. My anxiety stems from the possibility of having an explosion because of the gas vapor. Seems silly, but I've been thinking about the pros and cons of doing this while tank is 1/4 full (3/4 full of vapor=big boom), versus doing while tank is 3/4 full (lots of liquid gas creating vapor=big boom). I also read someone said they had a PUDDLE of gas because their tank was more than 1/2 full.

I'd hate to buy the filter then give to the dealer to replace because who knows how much $$$ they'll charge for this relatively easy job. I'd ask beforehand or call to inquire. If one proceeds to the dealer, my anxiety would then be wondering if they really changed it or not. I guess we could get around that anxiety by requesting the old one back. However, my anxiety would be is that really my filter or another customer's? I should take medication for my anxiety but I'm worried the drug store's prices and if they ever run out of it, or if my doctor forgets to call in the prescription refill. (JK about medicine, lol)
Old 05-26-18, 04:10 PM
Romanova
Racer

I'd do it when the take is nearly empty. That way, if you observe any sediment in the bottom of the tank, you can try and address it. Back when I did the pump upgrade on my old Galant VR-4, at 165k, there was hardly any sediment in the bottom of the tank. I wouldn't worry about fuel vapor too much... it's only going to be open for a few minutes while you pop the assembly out and swap parts. If you're going to be in there, I'd probably do the seal between the cap and the tank when you pull the assembly out...

I'm sure all or most high mileage LS430s are still running the factory components...
Old 05-26-18, 04:12 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Yes----it doesn't seem too complex to DIY, but I have some anxiety doing this myself. My anxiety stems from the possibility of having an explosion because of the gas vapor. Seems silly, but I've been thinking about the pros and cons of doing this while tank is 1/4 full (3/4 full of vapor=big boom), versus doing while tank is 3/4 full (lots of liquid gas creating vapor=big boom). I also read someone said they had a PUDDLE of gas because their tank was more than 1/2 full.

I'd hate to buy the filter then give to the dealer to replace because who knows how much $$$ they'll charge for this relatively easy job. I'd ask beforehand or call to inquire. If one proceeds to the dealer, my anxiety would then be wondering if they really changed it or not. I guess we could get around that anxiety by requesting the old one back. However, my anxiety would be is that really my filter or another customer's? I should take medication for my anxiety but I'm worried the drug store's prices and if they ever run out of it, or if my doctor forgets to call in the prescription refill. (JK about medicine, lol)
Just in case you don't already have this...
Pump related starts on pg. 37
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fuel.pdf (1.90 MB, 374 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by bradland:
kos (07-16-19), LS430inDE. (05-26-18)
Old 05-26-18, 05:12 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Just in case you don't already have this...
Pump related starts on pg. 37
Excellent reference. THANK YOU.