ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006-158/)
-   -   Replaced filters for cooled seats... (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/699452-replaced-filters-for-cooled-seats.html)

swegyptian 07-03-13 08:44 AM

Replaced filters for cooled seats...

And what a difference. I'm shocked as to how much better the airflow is. If your cooling is not so great, do it!

bobbyg49 07-03-13 10:03 AM

That much difference? I'll try this weekend and let you know.

keyframe13 07-03-13 10:30 AM

Any pics as to where those filters are located?

BigWalt 07-03-13 11:08 AM

How much for the filters?

jimbosr1 07-03-13 11:11 AM

you should vacuum them off every year.they shouldnt be that dirty that you have to replace them.

Lynzoid 07-03-13 11:11 AM

you just have to lift the seat all the way up and reach under it from the front. closer to one side you'll feel 'ribbing'.
it's the filter. gently pull it out, there's two locking tabs from sides (oriented left-right if you are seated in the seat, not front-rear... hope i'm clear enough here).
try to remember orientation - idk if it matters but i usually do.
put in the new one, having two tabs lock.
it for front seats. my euro doesnt have rear c/c seats (only heating) so idk about rear ones. i think there's covers on the sides of the rear door sills or somewhere around there.

sewell have great price on filters guys! in moscow, where toyota parts are generally cheaper (border with japan), these filters cost about 80 bucks each. sewell gives around 20...

denIS200 07-03-13 11:41 AM

Any part number?

;)
Denis.

jimbosr1 07-03-13 11:54 AM

helps if you take out the cubby tray under your seat and you can easly access the tabs.
just wiggle the tray side to side to remove.

Stu 07-03-13 02:54 PM

My filter sits about 1/2" above the carpet. Was easy to spot with a flashlight. It was pretty messy so I washed it it a mild mix of laundry soap and water ..... its going to dry off and I am sure be just fine !

jayclapp 07-03-13 06:39 PM

The seat filters do need attention. They are placed in possibly the dirtiest environment in the car. Every time the car is driven, the driver gets in and puts his feet on the floor mat which is just ahead of the seat filter under the front of the seat. All the dust, dirt and stuff he drags in gets shuffled around and is easily drawn into the seat filter.

So why is anyone surprised that these filters need to be changed? The front seat filter is approximately $22 from Sewell. A small price to pay to keep your car running as it is supposed to.

Lust4Lexus 07-04-13 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 8021804)
My filter sits about 1/2" above the carpet. Was easy to spot with a flashlight. It was pretty messy so I washed it it a mild mix of laundry soap and water ..... its going to dry off and I am sure be just fine !

Did the same thing yesterday. -but sucked the water out with my little green clean machine. My water turned grey. Definitely better. Made no mention to my wife, and she noticed too, so no placebo here.

jayclapp 07-04-13 10:04 AM

My experience in washing filters is not good (hand held vacuums with small filters for instance). Generally, washing causes the small fibers to "bunch" together and are hard when dried. I think that creates large void areas and prevents the filter to performing very well. Just isn't worth it for the cost of a new filter(s). Just my opinion. Who would every try to wash an engine filter?

Kira X 07-04-13 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by jayclapp (Post 8022839)
My experience in washing filters is not good (hand held vacuums with small filters for instance). Generally, washing causes the small fibers to "bunch" together and are hard when dried. I think that creates large void areas and prevents the filter to performing very well. Just isn't worth it for the cost of a new filter(s). Just my opinion. Who would every try to wash an engine filter?

That's a good point. I'll have to order a new filter soon.

jimbosr1 07-04-13 10:32 AM

i wash my k&n filter.:D

Lust4Lexus 07-04-13 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by jayclapp (Post 8022839)

I totally agree, and even had the same thought process asyou. I just basically went out and did this just to see if it made a difference. I will not subject the filter to subsequent washings. More of an experiment, really. I will be ordering new filters as well. I did not mind doing a wash with these little filters, because they are not a vital engine component. :thumbup: