LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Battery Recommendations for 2005 LS430 with Luxury Package

Old 04-16-13, 07:12 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I would not put a lithium based battery in my LS430 engine bay. Gets pretty hot in there and the LS doesn't have a fire warning or suppression system like the Boeing 787. I do have lithium batteries for some power tools but never leave them in their charger more than a couple of hours and certainly not overnight. Lithium battery use is super technology , super fast recharge and very lightweight and compact form factor but I think the safety factor stills needs to mature on that technology, super high energy density also means super high heat potential - hopefully bugs get worked out before people get hurt.
Do you even know anything about Lithium Pros?
Old 04-16-13, 08:45 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
Do you even know anything about Lithium Pros?
I personally would not use a car battery that uses Lithium technology. I don't need to have expert knowledge in a company called "Lithium Pros" to make that assertion.

These forums are better places when folks can voice their differing opinions and viewpoints without calling each others "expertise" into question when they have a different opinion.
Old 04-16-13, 09:36 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

I am not calling anyone's "expertise" into question. To make a blanket statement about lithium batteries like that is quite naive. But that's your opinion and I'm not trying to change it. But if you did know about Lithium Pro's you would know they are built with safeties and have been used in everything from drag racers to power boats. The technology is here right now in fact what do you think power a bunch of these hybrid and electric vehicles? Its just that the price for this technology is still expensive and most wont be willing to spend that money on the properly built ones.
Old 04-17-13, 06:50 AM
Jabberwock

I am not calling anyone's "expertise" into question. To make a blanket statement about lithium batteries like that is quite naive. But that's your opinion and I'm not trying to change it. But if you did know about Lithium Pro's you would know they are built with safeties and have been used in everything from drag racers to power boats. The technology is here right now in fact what do you think power a bunch of these hybrid and electric vehicles? Its just that the price for this technology is still expensive and most wont be willing to spend that money on the properly built ones.
I naively accept your apology : )

In the meantime folks can go read about lithium battery fires in various devices and vehicles including laptops, cars and airplanes and decide for themselves. I am far from an expert on this issue and was just voicing my semi-educated opinion.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 04-17-13 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-17-13, 07:33 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

I am using the Interstate (manufactured by Johnson Controls) MTP-24F since it had the highest CCA of any battery around, back when I was in the market for one. Look for a battery with the highest CCA and longest warranty (both prorrated and replacement).

The MTP-24F specs are below - you can use the same format to compare other brands.

CCA: 800
CA: 1000
A: 1000
Capacity: 75 Ah
Rating: 900 Whr
Reserve Capacity: 125 minutes at 25A
Weight: 44.4 lb
Prorated Warranty: 85 months
Replacement Warranty: 30 months

The 3 major North American car battery manufacturers are:

1) Delphi (sold battery production to Johnson Controls in 2006) made AC Delco (GM), EverStart (Walmart).
2) Johnson Controls makes Acura, Autocraft (Advance Auto Parts), Bosch, Diehard (Sears), Duralast (Autozone), Energizer, EverStart (Walmart), Honda, Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Lexus, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Motorcraft (Ford), Napa, Optima, Toyota.
3) Exide makes Champion, EverStart (Walmart), Exide, Motomaster (Canadian Tire), Napa, Nascar.

Last edited by StanVanDam; 04-17-13 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Added manufacturer details
Old 04-17-13, 10:05 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Just about all car batteries come from 2 different companies, it's just the labels and warranty.

I'd also recommend just going to WalMart and buying their top of the line model. I read on Consumer Reports where it was the top pick. I think it also tied with Costco's line of batteries. Both are also very affordable.

My experience with the Lexus dealer battery has been really poor. They didn't last very long and were also overpriced. I personally think the Optimas are a waste, and the only use I can see is if you're really into competition car audio.
Old 04-17-13, 02:21 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

How is the Optima Red Top? My LS came with one when I got it last year. I plan on replacing all of the factory speakers and sub with aftermarket stuff.

I always hear about the Yellow Top Optima batteries but I've never seen anyone use the red one.
Old 04-17-13, 04:01 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kira X
How is the Optima Red Top? My LS came with one when I got it last year. I plan on replacing all of the factory speakers and sub with aftermarket stuff.

I always hear about the Yellow Top Optima batteries but I've never seen anyone use the red one.
Ive been through a lot of red tops. I would say stay away. They are not meant for deep cycle duty and if you plan on running a lot of equipment the red tops wont last. Ive had better luck with the yellow but still not as strong as other performance batteries like the XS Powers.
Old 04-17-13, 04:05 PM
VAWS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am learning a lot here. And thanks for all the responses.

Another question - I know CCA stands for cold crank apms, but exactly what does that mean as it relates to a good battery? Do I want a higher or lower CCA rating?

I am asking all these questions because I have not had good luck with the batteries put in the vehicle by first the dealer and then second a local store.
Old 04-17-13, 06:38 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Ive been through a lot of red tops. I would say stay away. They are not meant for deep cycle duty and if you plan on running a lot of equipment the red tops wont last. Ive had better luck with the yellow but still not as strong as other performance batteries like the XS Powers.
Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the XS Power batteries. How are Kinetic batteries? A local car audio shop uses them on their higher power installs.
Old 04-17-13, 07:18 PM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by VAWS
I am learning a lot here. And thanks for all the responses.

Another question - I know CCA stands for cold crank apms, but exactly what does that mean as it relates to a good battery? Do I want a higher or lower CCA rating?

I am asking all these questions because I have not had good luck with the batteries put in the vehicle by first the dealer and then second a local store.
CCA is an industry standard measure that is used to compare battery performance at low temperature. The CCA is the amount of power (current) that a battery can provide at 0 degrees F. Be aware that is just one type of measure of battery performance. But in general most people are concerned about starting their car engines on a cold day so the CCA measure is one that most folks pay attention to.

By the way cold is not what harms lead-acid batteries. The biggest killer of a conventional lead-acid car battery is heat...not cold. The other primary killer is repeated full discharge of the battery that will shorten its life - caused by leaving lights on overnight, etc.

A typical old school car battery is nothing but a bunch of lead plates sitting in a strong acid bath creating a "chemical system" that stores and discharges electricity. This battery chemistry is significantly affected by temperature. Batteries can be refrigerated to prolong/preserve their life because low temperature slows down the chemical reaction that's constantly going on in a battery. Keep your battery cool and it will last longer. On the other hand high heat causes accelerated chemical reaction that leads to coating the lead plates (sulfating deposits) and also flaking off of positive plate material in the battery shortening its useful life.

Cold does nothing to harm a battery except to highlight when a battery is weak because typically a cold temp engine will take way more power to turn over and start.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 04-17-13 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-17-13, 09:58 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kira X
Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the XS Power batteries. How are Kinetic batteries? A local car audio shop uses them on their higher power installs.
The Kinetic batteries are ok. I know a lot of my car audio friends have left Kinetic for XS Power and Odyssey.
Old 04-18-13, 10:29 AM
wuznme
Driver School Candidate

Check and see if XS Power makes one to fit the LS...I haven't looked for the XS in LS but have 2 XS' in my truck.

Optima has gone down hill as of late.
Old 04-18-13, 12:23 PM
InfamousLS
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just installed the RED TOP Optimum in mine. 04' LS430.... so far I love it. Ive been using these in my race cars for years. Decided to go the same route when my stock one went bust. Could have gone with the Yellow Top, but they had the Red Top in spec availible and its a little cheaper.

Either way Optimum for the win.... when it comes to batteries... might as well spend the extra cash and not have to worry. After all you did buy an LS lol.
Old 04-19-13, 09:30 AM
VAWS
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, Jabberwock, for that explanation. Makes perfect sense the way you laid it out for me.

Because I live in a place with lots of heat, that is probably the culprit with the batteries in my car dying all the time. I have spent so much money on towing and battery charging, I could probably have purchases three Optimas. The garage has also replaced at least two batteries which were still under warranty, but would no longer hold a charge.

The electrical system has been checked to determine if there is something draining the battery (all Interstate) and nothing could be found.

Therefore, the only explanation is our heat.

I am leaning towards the Optima simply because I am so tired of dying batteries. Will let you all know what I decide.

Thanks so much to everyone for all of the advice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Recommendations for 2005 LS430 with Luxury Package