LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Power Steering Fluid thoughts

Old 03-06-13, 01:16 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid thoughts

hi all thought I would start a new thread because there is conflicting messages about changing power steering fluid. Bottom line peace of mind of not replacing the rack due to contaminated fluid is an important thing for me so with the research I did found conflicting answers.my ls 2002 has about 100k on it and the fluid looked dirty. you cant tell from the reservoir because over the years it looks darker than the fluid is inside. yesterday I went to lexus picked up 2 pints of the power steering fluid. lexus sells Castrol gtx power steering fluid. I did some research and it is compatiable with dexron II and III. in my manual I saw the dexron notes but was hesitant to put it in my car. I had my lexus mechanic third party pump out the fluid and it was almost black. we had the car on lift and moved the steering wheel left and right and pumped out some more. it was a lot cleaner when we got finished. today driving the car it is apparent to me steering is feeling smoother not noticeable when driving but in parking lots etcc.. bottom line is suck the old fluid out and put some new fluid in there. just sucking out the reservoir once will not do it and to do a complete flush is expensive so just my two cents on something that will provide me peace of mind
safe driving to all
Old 03-06-13, 08:51 PM
bootnylee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good to know...thanks

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-07-13, 02:49 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430lover
... today driving the car it is apparent to me steering is feeling smoother not noticeable when driving but in parking lots etc
I think the LS models have variable levels of power-assist: lighter-feeling steering at lower speeds, and heavier on the freeway, etc.
Old 03-07-13, 07:17 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Default response to last post

hi i realize it would be easier at low speeds i was speaking about the smoothness of the steering in general and a before and after the fluid was replaced. i drove the car yesterday for five hours i would say with certainty that it feels smoother not that it will effect driving, but the reason for the post was because i was worried about having 11 year old fluid that was dark in my car, being that it wasnt totally flushed something can still happen to the rack, but at least i have some new fluid in there to protect with heat etc...
safe driving to all
Old 11-24-13, 02:10 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did a power steering fluid siphon and replace with what is only in the reservoir of my '05 LS430. First is the picture of the $2 WalMart bulb with 2 sections of tube from Lowes at 30 cents each. Next picture is a closeup of the q-tip dipped in each fluid. On the left is the original fluid from at least 95,000 miles ago, I have never replaced it as long as I have owned the car. On the right is after one swap and drive for a day. I think I will drive it for a week and do one more fluid swapout, then call it good for another few years.
One note is that the large tube did not go as far into the reservoir so I inserted the smaller tube into the larger one and got a bit more fluid out on the second exchange.
Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Fluid thoughts-d49a2820.jpg   Power Steering Fluid thoughts-d49a2821.jpg  
Old 11-24-13, 02:28 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Lots of folks drain and refill the PS reservoir 3-4 times over the course of a couple of weekends or so. Doing a few repeat drain and fills like this is a quick, inexpensive and easy diy method to largely refresh most of the PS fluid in the car. Repeat this easy diy procedure every few years or when the PS starts looking dark and dirty, and your PS pump and steering box will thank you.
Old 11-24-13, 02:42 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

i honestly dont know the chemical differences between PS fluid and ATF, but i can tell you that lexus tells you to use ATF

"Check the fluid level on the through the reservoir. If
necessary, add automatic transmission fluid DEXRONII
or III."

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...6U/pdf/6-3.pdf
Old 11-24-13, 03:48 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

Is there any harm in doing a complete flush?
Old 11-24-13, 04:51 PM
ScumbaGS3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. I'll be doing this very soon.
Old 11-24-13, 04:58 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

My flush was done by the previous owner at 90K with TB and WP at the Lexus dealer. The racks are not known to be "shocked" by new fluid. I would go ahead and flush it. Have the screens cleaned as well. Really all the fluids should be done at 90K. Transmission drain and refill, PS, brake, and differential.

The other one that rarely gets mentioned is the procedure to clean the AC condenser. That's the only one I have yet to do.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-24-13 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-17-13, 09:13 PM
w1ayne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have shown a full flush of the power steering fluid for a LS 430 at

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-pictures.html

But a search of my handle, w1ayne, or any word above does not return the post!! Why not??
Old 12-18-13, 09:17 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use the "advanced search" and it works well. The default search is worthless in my experience.
Old 12-18-13, 10:08 AM
milesdf
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had my 90k service completed. Dealer recommended power steering flush, which I approved. Cost $100 extra. Arrgghh!
Old 12-18-13, 11:32 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

That's not bad. It's worth it. Same with the brake system. Don't forget the transmission drain and refill. Since you have an 04 best to have the dealer do it. Their difficult to do. If they give you the line that their sealed and you never need to change it, this is incorrect. They are not sealed and it is designed to be changed.
Old 12-18-13, 05:12 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Lavrishevo above, however it should also be mentioned that the 2005 Scheduled Maintenance document says that the transmission fluid should be changed at 120,000 miles or 144 months with the following footnote:
"Required only if vehicle is operated primarily while towing."
I do think that it should be exchanged (not flushed) at 90K or 120K (depending on time interval also), but it is appropriate to quote the official Lexus answer along with personal opinion.
Also, the transmission is indeed sealed, if only in the sense that there is no dipstick.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid thoughts