LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2006 ML 115k - Takes two tries to start, only the first start of the day.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-22, 08:56 PM
FloridaML
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2006 ML 115k - Takes two tries to start, only the first start of the day.

2006 LS430 ML.I have had the car about a year, and been experiencing this problem for a couple months now. The car takes two tries to start, but only the first start of the day. Just in case it would do any good, I was planning a posting a video of what it is doing. Have not taken the video yet. Any ides just from the limited info that I have posted here?

It is like clockwork this happens. Almost ever morning, and always starts on the SECOND try. Never takes 3 tries.

Naturally I'm wondering if it will get worse if it is not addressed, and also wondering if it is difficult to diagnose and fix.
Old 09-11-22, 12:57 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 748 Likes on 626 Posts

Hello,

What happens if you crank the car for longer than usual?
Are there any other noticeable performance issues besides this one?
Do you start the car every day? What happens if the car stays parked for longer?

It would be helpful to have a video, the easiest way would be to post it on YouTube and share a link here.

I've seen a car that would only start on the second attempt when you disconnect the battery, every time, so I thought of it as more of a feature than an issue. In your case, if you have a scan tool that can read engine live data, look through the data while cranking the car, just look at their general behavior and how stable the readings are for now to see if there is anything really out.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 09-13-22, 02:50 AM
MacroP
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

You say it takes two tries. How long do you let it crank for before you turn it off an try starting again? Or does it not crank at all the first time?

If I had this problem, prior to first start, I would firstly remove an easy to get ignition coil but leave the electrical connector attached. I would then find another sparkplug and put it in the coil and rest the tip of the sparplug on a nearby ground. Then crank the engine look for spark. This would tell me a lot.
Old 09-13-22, 03:39 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Sounds like fuel pressure leaking down overnight.
Old 09-14-22, 08:36 PM
FloridaML
Driver

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

Do you start the car every day? What happens if the car stays parked for longer?

It would be helpful to have a video, the easiest way would be to post it on YouTube and share a link here.

I've seen a car that would only start on the second attempt when you disconnect the battery, every time, so I thought of it as more of a feature than an issue. In your case, if you have a scan tool that can read engine live data, look through the data while cranking the car, just look at their general behavior and how stable the readings are for now to see if there is anything really out.

Great question, thanks for your interest and response. Sounds like you know these cars.
Seems like sometimes when I hold the key a TINY bit longer, it may start on the first try. Not always.

No, no other performance issues that I notice. However, I really baby this car, I drive like an old white guy. Slow acceleration, very gentle braking.

I finally took the video. I am going to try to take more.

Here is a link to the video;

Good idea, thanks. I am going to look for one that feeds data from the OBD port to my phone in real time. I have used those on other vehicles many years ago. Cool stuff.

Old 09-14-22, 11:30 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Interesting..

I am not sure, it is hard to tell without actually being there, but maybe the issue is that you don't hold the key for long enough.. Below is the video I found with a startup sound for another 2006 LS430 in pristine shape, which may be helpful as well.

Try waiting a little bit for all the alarms to subside before cranking the car, see if that will help. Other than that, look on the fuel rail, there should be two Fuel Dampeners on each side, each should have a little screw on top of it, here you can find pictures for it, if the head is raised, it means there is pressure in the system. Before starting the car in the morning, check that both of those screws are raised, which will indicate that the system is tight and does hold pressure. If not, check that they raise when the car is running, just to confirm the theory.

Next step would be to either wait for a change, or to get a scan tool..

Last edited by Arsenii; 09-14-22 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-15-22, 10:47 PM
FloridaML
Driver

Originally Posted by MacroP
You say it takes two tries. How long do you let it crank for before you turn it off an try starting again? Or does it not crank at all the first time?

If I had this problem, prior to first start, I would firstly remove an easy to get ignition coil but leave the electrical connector attached. I would then find another sparkplug and put it in the coil and rest the tip of the sparplug on a nearby ground. Then crank the engine look for spark. This would tell me a lot.

Thanks very much for your response, and great questions. I appreciate you thinking about my issue.

Well, it started today first try. I posted a video of yesterdays first start, and it took two tries. {This time I let the car sit with the ignition on for a dew seconds before starting it}
I think the best way to answer your above questions is with the two videos I have posted.

Thanks for your suggestion. It may make sense to try that. I will look for a video of the procedure you are talking about just for good measure. If you know of one, please feel free to post a link.

Old 09-16-22, 12:18 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

That sounds just about right now. All that's left is to confirm the results the next day.

What I do is wait for the Airbag light to go out before cranking the car, since that check takes the longest to complete. That gives me just enough time to put a seatbelt on and prepare for the drive, so it doesn't even cost me any time, just one of the habits I got used to..

Old 09-17-22, 02:12 PM
FloridaML
Driver

Okay, it took two tries even though I waited to try to start it. Video linked below;

Old 09-17-22, 03:16 PM
MacroP
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I noticed you only let it crank on the first try for a second or so before releasing the key. Try cranking much longer the first time as see what happens. I suspect you may be losing fuel pressure in the rail over time. With these cars the fuel pump only primes when cranking not with just ignition on. I’ve have had two of these cars and the start time is noticeable longer than modern vehicles especially comparing to cars with stop/start capability.
Old 09-17-22, 03:26 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FloridaML
Okay, it took two tries even though I waited to try to start it. Video linked below;
As I wrote before, look at the fuel dampeners before starting the car in the morning, that will tell whether the system holds pressure.

See if you can also find an owner of another LS430 in your area, so that you can try starting their car as well, which may help you get a feel for it. If there are no other drivability issues, and the issue didn't escalate in all that time, I can't see any other solution..

Old 09-17-22, 10:20 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

There is a TSB on the 2006 for fuel pressure issues. The fuel pump had to be replaced. Mine had to be replaced early on and demonstrated as you have described.

Randy B
The following users liked this post:
rmak (09-18-22)
Old 09-18-22, 03:20 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by rmak
Sounds like fuel pressure leaking down overnight.
Originally Posted by Randy B
There is a TSB on the 2006 for fuel pressure issues. The fuel pump had to be replaced. Mine had to be replaced early on and demonstrated as you have described.

Randy B
As stated you are most likely having fuel pump issues. If so, the next step is to change the fuel pump or get stranded. You are getting about as much notice as an electric fuel pump gives before failing.

If you change the pump and the issue persist, you have still spent money well and eliminated the largest possibility of your issue. Good Luck.
Old 09-18-22, 12:44 PM
FloridaML
Driver

Only took one try today. I let the ignition stay in the on position for a few seconds held the key in the start position just a bit longer than I might have otherwise.

Tomorrow I plan on not letting the ignition stay in the on position at all, just try to start right away.

The next day I will refrain from holding the key longer.

The next day, try both again, Etc.... Maybe repeat the above process on alternating day.

Video linked below;

Old 09-18-22, 12:58 PM
RoMonis
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

I have the same issue with my 04 🤦🏽‍♀️

Quick Reply: 2006 ML 115k - Takes two tries to start, only the first start of the day.