Print Wikipost

UL w/ air suspension bouncy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-13, 03:05 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Treasure
week ago i purschase a 04 ls430 i notice the right side passage was a little low the car has only 79000. Is there an after market air strut .
None that that are compatible with existing OEM air struts.
Old 02-04-13, 04:19 PM
monrovea
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Bon
I did mine a year and a half ago. Standard springs. It feels as good as it ever did. I'm very pleased with my decision.
Can someone here please help. You all seem to be so knowledgeable on this subject. My story is... I have an 02 UL with 75000 mi. I am anticipating replacing the air. I ask my local Toyota service manager, who does all my work, about doing this change over. He apparently called Lexus about parts, and they advised him " I strongly advise against doing this change over, as the frames are different on the stanard and UL models". I don't think this is true but, consequently, he doesn't want to do it.
My question is two part. What are good springs and shocks to use, and how do I go about getting this done. I do not want to tackle it myself. Do I try to find an Independent mechanic? I don't just want anybody messing with my wonderful car. Any help or recommendations would sure be appreciated.
Old 02-04-13, 05:18 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

In short you have two ways to go: genuine Lexus parts for springs, shocks and misc. parts -or- aftermarket coil-over shock-spring replacement parts. In my opinion (and many others) the OEM setup will give you the best, most authentic, Lexus ride that you have now. Coilovers give you more choices between sport and sportier but they never get you 100% the original OEM ride quality.

This thread is long, but a good, read on changing from your air suspension to something else:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...+steel+springs
There are many other threads on this subject. If you decide to go OEM then you're best bet is to figure out what parts you need, buy them, and then take them to a Toyota dealer or other reliable shop that has Lexus service manuals available because the UL back seat is something to be dealt with as the rear shocks are replaced. Buying coilovers is certainly easier as they will come assembled and ready to install.

The conversion from air to OEM steel springs is ~$1,500 plus or minus. The next time you need shocks it will be a lot, lot less because you'll only need shock replacements.

I doubt that there is a frame difference between the UL and other models. If there is it doesn't affect the swap out. When finished putting in the steel springs all you have to do is pull a fuse to turn off the air pump. No codes are thrown and no lights will appear on your dash.

Last edited by Bon; 02-05-13 at 05:23 AM.
Old 02-04-13, 08:45 PM
monrovea
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bon
In short you have two ways to go: genuine Lexus parts for springs, shocks and misc. parts -or- aftermarket coil-over shock-spring replacement parts. In my opinion (and many others) the OEM setup will give you the best, most authentic, Lexus ride that you have now. Coilovers give you more choices between sport and sportier but they never get you 100% the original OEM ride quality.

These threads are long, but good, reads on changing from your air suspension to something else:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...+steel+springs
There are many other threads on this subject. If you decide to go OEM then you're best bet is to figure out what parts you need, buy them, and then take them to a Toyota dealer or other reliable shop that has Lexus service manuals available because the UL back seat is something to be dealt with as the rear shocks are replaced. Buying coilovers is certainly easier as they will come assembled and ready to install.

The conversion from air to OEM steel springs is ~$1,500 plus or minus. The next time you need shocks it will be a lot, lot less because you'll only need shock replacements.

I doubt that there is a frame difference between the UL and other models. If there is it doesn't affect the swap out. When finished putting in the steel springs all you have to do is pull a fuse to turn off the air pump. No codes are thrown and no lights will appear on your dash.
Just the info that I wanted. Thanks
Old 04-29-21, 01:31 AM
davano79
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cronic
I went with tanabe nf210 springs. The car feels great. I wish it was a tad bit lower, so I am debating selling the struts/springs, but man I don't want to lose this ride quality.

Can these stheses be used on the 600HL?
will I be able to use sport mode button still?
Old 04-29-21, 06:00 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

the first 10 years from new is like your riding on clouds, after that its a dice roll
Old 04-29-21, 06:47 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by davano79
Can these stheses be used on the 600HL?
will I be able to use sport mode button still?
this forum and thread from 2013 is for the third gen LS, your 4th Gen 600h is different
Old 04-30-21, 12:10 PM
Hagar
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't get it. Lexus put air shocks in their top of the line for a reason. A lot of car buyers put air shocks in their cars. And all I hear is get rid of the air shocks because their expensive to repair. Okay, yes I get it and again, Lexus put them in their top of the line model for a good reason. RIDE!.
You can buy Arnott replacement air shocks (around $499 ea) and only loose the ride stability at highway speeds. The car lowers itself for better control. It hunkers down.
My 04 UL hasn't had any issues (yet) and I would keep the air shocks my self.

Now if you choose to get rid of perfectly good air shocks, let me know.

I have yet to see a survey of how much of a problem Lexus LS owners have had with the air shocks from Lexus. But I see when somebody does, they are sure making a fuss that everyone else should do the same.

My two cents
The following 4 users liked this post by Hagar:
aypues (05-07-21), HTGuy (04-30-21), jayclapp (04-30-21), StanVanDam (04-30-21)