LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How could this be a CPO lexus??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-12, 05:14 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
Default How could this be a CPO lexus??

Hi guys, I was going to take a look at this Lexus CPO at the dealer about an hour away from my house. I checked the car fax but it shows two accident? How could it be CPO with two accidents? I thought that a CPO had to have a clean history? Any help would be great
Old 12-10-12, 05:23 AM
jmsmiff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's basically true. It would depend on how much damage was done in the two accidents. Someone could hit your car with a shopping cart, you file a claim, carfax could read accident. In this case, I'd seriously look into why it's being listed as CPO. Ask to see the write up they did to certify it
Old 12-10-12, 05:29 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Concur with jmsmiff, it depends on type of accident. Fender bender, door damage, involved in an accident but no damage. There are things that hit on carfax that are minor because it was reported. The CPO is inspection and replacement to certified "like new" conditions, it doesn't state that it was never in an accident. If the accident was door damage and the whole door was replaced, then that's non issue. If rear ended and extensive damage, then something different. I presume this is a 2006 LS at this point.
Old 12-10-12, 06:28 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Accidents can vary a lot. My wife's Highlander was hit in back bumper by car going 3-4 mph at a stop sign. Only damage was a perforation to the plastic bumper cover had a 2 inch hole in from a toe hook on the other vehicle - no damage to Styrofoam underneath and no compression damage anywhere else.

So we files insurance claim on the other guy's insurance, had the car inspected, and had the plastic bumper cover replaced and repainted at Toyota body shop - bill was $500 paid by insurance. But carfax will show an accident - even though we now have a brand new freshly painted bumper cover that looks way better than the original because it had been scratched up a little over the years.
Old 12-10-12, 07:04 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

a cpo can have a body panel replaced and still be a cpo.if all accidents removed a car from cpo the dealers wouldnt have any.depends on severity of the accident.
Old 12-10-12, 04:33 PM
Forte EXE
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Lexus CPO is similar to Toyota CPO, then it has to be MORE than 4 panels that have been repainted. There could almost an infinite amount of accidents reported through carfax, but that could mean bumpers. Its kind of a loophole but bumpers can be repainted and wont be counted towards the Certification process.
Old 12-10-12, 08:03 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Really appreciate all the responses. Thanks for clarifying because I wasn't sure how strict they were as far as CPO and body work... I certainly understand a painted fender or bumper cover because things happen. I almost always end up painting the rear bumper cover on any used car I have bought. Anybody familiar with South Florida knows about the drivers so almost any car down here needs the bumper repainted. I think I'll go take a look and if the car seems decent I will have a private inspection done to determine the extent of the accident.
Old 12-11-12, 02:49 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430FL
Anybody familiar with South Florida knows about the drivers so almost any car down here needs the bumper repainted...
On my trips down there I've noticed that the Florida drivers think once the turn signal goes on they can change lanes no matter how small the gap might be and the car next to them MUST brake.
Old 12-11-12, 09:55 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

You are so correct! the driving down here is very scary...mixing the 90 year olds that don't do over 40 and the 16 year old new drivers that have the need for speed can make for a scary situation. Going to look at the car tomorrow ill update soon...
Old 12-11-12, 10:09 AM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Forte EXE
If Lexus CPO is similar to Toyota CPO, then it has to be MORE than 4 panels that have been repainted. There could almost an infinite amount of accidents reported through carfax, but that could mean bumpers. Its kind of a loophole but bumpers can be repainted and wont be counted towards the Certification process.
My dealer Shop foreman told me not 4 or more as he was getting to know my new ride! CPO cert requires no more than 3 panels replaced or repaired I believe is what he said (it's been 2 years though, so maybe it was 4). He said that usually equals both bumpers typically repainted for certification and not more than one more panel. He also said he has seen some dealers break this rule when being certified, which is why he was inspecting mine so closely on my behalf... I love my Lexus of Memphis dealer!
Old 12-11-12, 07:49 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Any paint work on the body panels on a car (not bumpers) is going to cost you big time when you want to sell it or trade it in. If you can't get a very significant discount when buying you should pass on the car unless you plan to keep it for 10+ years - at that age the carfax accident history won't matter as much. Dealers typically don;t discount an accident car enough because they can usually find someone to buy it that does not realize how much value is lost when carfax is not clean.
Old 12-12-12, 09:13 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Thanks for all the responses...saw the car but it wasn't for me. Some people may not be able to tell there was paintwork but I could. Besides I have bought a car that had an accident before and in todays car market everybody always looks at the history report and it makes it so much harder to sell. Thanks for that comment I happen to agree and I am going to look for one that has a clean history. I think I will be better off in the long run. Ahhhh....the search continues