ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006-158/)
-   -   Considering 2005 LS 430 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/662323-considering-2005-ls-430-a.html)

Poptop75 10-30-12 07:32 PM

Moderator, am I allowed to name it? And give the name of the salesman who I trust? Go through you privately?

Highway33 10-31-12 12:02 PM

Are there any search engines, or other means I can use to look for this car. The typical web sites like Craigslist and Autotrader are basically displaying generally within the same ball park for what I'm looking at. Some posters say the the prices I indicated for the 05's I have been looking at "seem high", but to tell you the truth just about every other location is very close to here in Raleigh. Unless there is a special place I can go to, the 05 LS 430's around here are basically the same as anywhere else, price wise. I am not seeing 05 LS 430's in the 16-18 range with mileage under 100K that some indicate are "Out there". Please let me know where else I can look, if any. Thanks to all.

zindallas 10-31-12 12:20 PM

Autotrader, cars.com, search tempest for craigslist, auto tempest, ebay and classifieds on here were my main search tools.

Z

zindallas 10-31-12 12:31 PM

Quick search on cars.com shows 20 or so '05s and '06s with under 100K miles for under $18K and over 50 cars under $20K.

I found to get a car with the options I wanted - I really wanted a ML or CL car - and in the condition I wanted, meant digging thru a lot of duds - there's usually a reason a car is priced that low - and found that most of the examples that were to my liking were in the low $20s.

If you're picky like me it may take some time to find the right car for the right price but your patience will be rewarded!

Z

BradTank 10-31-12 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Highway33 (Post 7575246)
Are there any search engines, or other means I can use to look for this car. The typical web sites like Craigslist and Autotrader are basically displaying generally within the same ball park for what I'm looking at. Some posters say the the prices I indicated for the 05's I have been looking at "seem high", but to tell you the truth just about every other location is very close to here in Raleigh. Unless there is a special place I can go to, the 05 LS 430's around here are basically the same as anywhere else, price wise. I am not seeing 05 LS 430's in the 16-18 range with mileage under 100K that some indicate are "Out there". Please let me know where else I can look, if any. Thanks to all.

The problem is there's just not as many LS models as there are other Lexus models. Lexus models like ES are a dime a dozen, but LS models are few and far between even in relatively metropolitan areas.

Also, people that buy LS as new cars are almost always very wealthy (since they're now around $70k new) and don't like "fooling" with selling a car themselves since it's such a hassle, so they usually trade it in at a dealership because they can afford to take the hit. Which means dealerships control most of the inventory. Very few private party sales. If you buy at a dealership, you're going to pay a retail price.

Your options are to just be patient and wait until the right one comes along in your area at the right price and be ready to move fast (best option) or if you really need something in a hurry, you could look at Ebay Motors and maybe have one shipped to you or fly out and drive it home. Some parts of the country these cars are significantly cheaper than others.

These cars aren't the easiest to buy used, I know I had an issue finding the right one for a while and I probably slightly over paid but was VERY happy with the purchase and got exactly the color combination I wanted. If you're more the type where you need a car right now and want to pay bottom dollar, something like a late model ES is MUCH easier to acquire, I know I almost did the same thing.

zindallas 10-31-12 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by BradTank (Post 7575357)
The problem is there's just not as many LS models as there are other Lexus models. Lexus models like ES are a dime a dozen, but LS models are few and far between even in relatively metropolitan areas.

Also, people that buy LS as new cars are almost always very wealthy (since they're now around $70k new) and don't like "fooling" with selling a car themselves since it's such a hassle, so they usually trade it in at a dealership because they can afford to take the hit. Which means dealerships control most of the inventory. Very few private party sales. If you buy at a dealership, you're going to pay a retail price.

Your options are to just be patient and wait until the right one comes along in your area at the right price and be ready to move fast (best option) or if you really need something in a hurry, you could look at Ebay Motors and maybe have one shipped to you or fly out and drive it home. Some parts of the country these cars are significantly cheaper than others.

These cars aren't the easiest to buy used, I know I had an issue finding the right one for a while and I probably slightly over paid but was VERY happy with the purchase and got exactly the color combination I wanted. If you're more the type where you need a car right now and want to pay bottom dollar, something like a late model ES is MUCH easier to acquire, I know I almost did the same thing.

Brad Tank - you are absolutely right about why it is challenging to find direct buys on used LS430s.

The good part is that these cars are also often owned by older folks who don't drive much, drive gently and have the time and money to service them right, so you can find a lot of high quality examples with surprisingly low mileage even after 6 to 10 years of use.

And aren't you glad you were patient and got the LS you wanted and not a dressed up camry! :D

Z

SW17LS 10-31-12 08:39 PM

Don't get me wrong, the ES is a great car. I've had two, I've also had two LS's in the family, a 400 and a 430. Very happy with the ES, and when you're not comparing them head to head the ES is an incredibly quiet, well built, smooth car. The only reason to get an ES over an LS though is if the ES is new. That's why I've got the ES instead of the LS, I lease for business and that rules out used cars, and I really prefer new cars since I've always owned new cars. So...I always seem to wind up in a new ES instead of a used LS.

But the LS is obviously more car, and if you're buying used anyways, I'd get a little bit older LS. I wouldn't be so consumed with price either, if you find the right car...negotiate your best deal and buy it. If you're looking for the cheapest car...you'll get what you pay for.

zindallas 11-01-12 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by SW10ES (Post 7576243)
I wouldn't be so consumed with price either, if you find the right car...negotiate your best deal and buy it. If you're looking for the cheapest car...you'll get what you pay for.

I couldn't agree more!

Z

Highway33 11-01-12 09:40 AM

Great advise all. I am realizing this will take some time. I see one a few hundred miles away. 2006 with 94 K. They are asking 18,900. I told them I am coming from a distance and it is imperative that the exterior does not have a mark on it, and the interior is the same. No stains etc. Also that all functions worked. The assured me the car is perfect. Car fax is clean with 2 previous owners. No Acc's reported. Lexus service records indicate regular maint through to the 60 K the regular oil changes to 89 K. No 90 K was done, but it did have the serpentine belt replaced (lexus dealership) at 49,500 when it got it's 30K just before the second owner took possession. I guess that means I don't have to worry about that part of the 90K service until 140K. This looks like the one.

zindallas 11-01-12 01:06 PM

Good luck with the search and hope this one works out for you and you get to enjoy that long drive back in your new LS!

Z

sajack 11-01-12 05:07 PM

[QUOTE=SW10ES;7576243]Don't get me wrong, the ES is a great car. I've had two, I've also had two LS's in the family, a 400 and a 430. Very happy with the ES, and when you're not comparing them head to head the ES is an incredibly quiet, well built, smooth car.

The big problem with the ES is that it is WWD, wrong wheel drive. The noise, vibration, and harshness associated with front wheel drivers is the reason most major luxury car makers' flagship cars are RWD.
Some, like Audi, slap AWD onto their models hoping that most buyers won't know that their cars are front wheel biased.
You will never see a FWD Lexus LS, M-B S Class, or BMW 7 Series.