LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus Extra Care Toyota factory-backed extended warranty from Falmouth Toyota?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-12, 06:55 AM
hardimen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Extra Care Toyota factory-backed extended warranty from Falmouth Toyota?

I found this website that sells an "exclusionary" Lexus extended warranty for Lexus's bought thru a private party seller. The conditions are:

For LS430:
- vehicle must be 9 years or newer
- less than 85k miles

For RX330:
- vehicle must be 9 years or newer
- less than 70k miles

They claim it to be genuine Toyota warranty and will be recognized by both Lexus and Toyota. Another thing that I find quite disconcerting is the fact that they don't even inspect the vehicle at all! Is that normally how the process works? How can they take the risk of not inspecting a vehicle?

Anyway, they quoted me $3740 for a 5 year/60K warranty for my 05 LS430 with 78K miles and $2915 for 05 RX330 with 68K miles.

Here's the website:
http://falmouth-toyota.lexusextendedcarwarranty.com/

Here's the warranty details:
http://falmouth-toyota.lexusextended...e-platinum.pdf

Does anyone heard of this Toyota Dealer? Could this warranty be for real? I am really interested in purchasing them for my lexuses.

Thanks all!
Old 10-03-12, 07:20 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I've never heard of them. That sure is a lot of money though.

Are you planning on buying the warranty for both cars? With that money you could easily afford most repairs for either car. You may want to keep looking around.
Old 10-03-12, 07:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

$3,700?!? No way...
Old 10-03-12, 08:35 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

So the warranty extends an additional 5 years/60k miles on the car's current mileage/age? That's not how it normally works, it's usually something like extending the warranty out to 8 years/100k miles total, in which case you'll be get an extra 2 years or so of coverage.

My wife bought an extended warranty for her GX470 that was from the dealer. Overall, it was a mixed bag. You have to really look at the fine print. An example, our power window slipped off the track. Because there was no part replacement, just the labor charge to put it back on, the repair wasn't covered. But then we had a gauge cluster that went out, and they did cover it (to the tune of about $900). Overall, we would have been MUCH better off not buying the warranty and just putting that money in the bank for a rainy day. Especially since most of the issues on that car now are suspension issues.

I wouldn't recommend extended warranties in general, mainly because none of them honor the items that tend to have issues with age. The kind of issues you'll have when you get near 100k miles are things like suspension components, accessory belts, timing belts, tune ups. etc. Also, they'll fight with you on issues and nickel and dime you, and then you're only real option is suing them (which is almost always more than the repair itself)

Lexus are such reliable vehicles that you're usually better off taking your chances. Now something like an Audi, BMW, or Mercedes, I would seriously consider the extended warranty or dumping the car and getting a new one with a warranty. Those cars can become money pits in a hurry.
Old 10-03-12, 08:57 AM
hardimen
Rookie

Originally Posted by BradTank
So the warranty extends an additional 5 years/60k miles on the car's current mileage/age?
That's what I was told on the phone. I know - it doesn't seem to jive with what I've read about extended warranties either.

Originally Posted by BradTank
Lexus are such reliable vehicles that you're usually better off taking your chances. Now something like an Audi, BMW, or Mercedes, I would seriously consider the extended warranty or dumping the car and getting a new one with a warranty. Those cars can become money pits in a hurry.
I agree, Lexus are reliable but there are so many computer controlled parts that tend to break with age and none of those are cheap to replace. It is specially true for an LS.
Old 10-03-12, 09:17 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by hardimen
That's what I was told on the phone. I know - it doesn't seem to jive with what I've read about extended warranties either.

I agree, Lexus are reliable but there are so many computer controlled parts that tend to break with age and none of those are cheap to replace. It is specially true for an LS.
If it truly does give you a warranty for that length of time (an additional 5 years/60k miles) then I would say it's a good deal, but I can almost guarantee you the person you spoke with is confused. My guess is that's for a Toyota that someone wants to extend the 3 year/36k mile factory warranty on for another few years. I just can't imagine Toyota is going to give you a bumper to bumper warranty on your Lexus LS until 2017 or 140,000 miles for only $3,500. But I've been wrong before.

Regarding the "computer controlled parts" worry, I would argue that even with all the technology these cars have, these gadgets just aren't going to rack up that much in repair costs.
Old 10-03-12, 07:06 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

04 LS 430 180 k miles 650 dollars in unexpected repairs for whole 180k. hope this helps. make sure you are not buying or have abused car, maybe then it is worth it..
Old 10-03-12, 08:36 PM
gashed
Driver School Candidate

When I purchased my 04 LS 430 UL in Dec 2011 with 88k miles, I also purchased the Lexus Platinum Warranty that covers me through Dec 2015 or 138K miles. I purchased the car and warranty through a Lexus dealer.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-03-12, 08:53 PM
vinodc
Rookie

I also bought an extended warranty for my 04 ls430. It only had 32k miles when i bought it. Lexus/toyota just recently(within last two years) came out with warranty products to sell, to higher mileage and year cars. ( a very lucrative market they weren't in before). IF you READ THE FINE PRINT....it has to be sold at the time of purchase, FROM a toyota or lexus dealer. But most dealers dont bother....lexus knows this....but they aren't that picky about it. I bought mine from a dealer out of state and without inspection. Also 3750 is way too high, mine was about 1k less.......but with tax came to 3100 for 5/60k platinum zero deductable warranty. In my opinion, the warranty was the best decision I've ever made. They replaced the rear sub, front and rear hood struts, lock ecu. Small things here and there, already got my moneys worth back.
Old 10-03-12, 09:03 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

It doesn't sound right. The appropriate factory extended warranty is the Lexus Platinum warranty. It basically provides several options similar to the CPO warranty for preowned cars that have been in service more than 6 years. It is sold by the finance arm, which I believe is Toyota Financial. I have heard of it being sold by Toyota dealers at a discounted price. I believe it also has to be purchased within 30 days of buying the car.

Go to the Lexus corporate website and search within the site under warranties. You should find information about the available extended warranties and what they cover. See if what you are being offered matches up. Also, ask the seller for a list of what is covered, it should be on Lexus "letterhead" or a similarly formatted document. In addition, you can call Lexus corporate offices or a Lexus dealer and ask about extended warranties

That said, it isn't worth it. It is priced for replacement of engine or transmission which is very, very rare for this car. While you will have some things that need to be replace (hood and trunk struts, etc), the cost will be far less than the price of the warranty.

Last edited by LS430Lexus; 10-04-12 at 05:28 AM.