LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04 LS430 Subwoofer Finally replaced! YAY!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 11:02 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

how many watts RMS does the stock amp put out ?

My guess is 50 or less.
Old 01-09-14, 09:21 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Here are a couple of choices for after-market replacement 8" subs. Note dual voice coils that can be wired in series to achieve 16 ohm rating.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150710677461...84.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160744137794...84.m1423.l2649
Old 01-09-14, 09:29 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Agree - an 8 ohm Sub at high volumes will make the ML amp work harder (actually not really work harder because lower ohm speaker is easier to push, but it could run hotter). It will make sub channel stage of the amp run hotter at high volume. I personally don't blast my music (and don't push bass to weird unnatural high levels) so it would not be an issue for me. But if a person like their music stupidly loud so that people outside the car could also hear it an 8 ohm sub could cause the sub stage of the amp to clip and cut out (protection circuit).

I have never read of anyone on the forum with ML amp loss of channel due to a 8 ohm replacement sub but it might be theoretically possible. I think it is safe to run 8 ohm replacement sub even on this very weak ML amp because the electric load (impedance) variance that the amp sees from 16 to 8 ohm is not as significant as going from 8 to 4 or from 4 to 2 ohm. I would not run a 4 or 2 ohm speaker with this specific ML amp because it would likely clip and cut out at moderate volumes.

btw - if the ML amp does fail for any reason I suggest it would be an excellent opportunity to replace it with a modern high power, high quality amp rather than having the ML amp fixed.
I'd love it if you could recommend some replacement amps. I only know the basics regarding car audio, but I thought because of all the channels, you almost had to replace the amp with a ML one or have it repaired?

Thanks again
Old 01-09-14, 09:37 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

dropping the ohms below rated is the same as going from 8 to 4 or 4 to 2, etc,etc...if the amp isnt rated for it, then its going to cut the lifespan of said amp.

That ML amp is a pretty amazing unit (even if it fails) that cant simply "swap out" with an aftermarket amp. You'd have to swap out the interior speakers as well because of their imp ratings.

If you want to go aftermarket: Get a JL Audio Clean sweep unit,throw in whtever amps u want and replace the interior speakers with at least 4ohm versions
Old 01-09-14, 10:17 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I think that is really the main point. It would be interest of the owners to use the ml sub considering the amp repair cost.
Old 01-09-14, 10:26 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
how many watts RMS does the stock amp put out ?

My guess is 50 or less.
I believe it is a 10 speaker 240 Watt system.
Old 01-09-14, 01:22 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

The dual coil 8 ohm sub listed on ebay is twice the quality of the OEM ML speaker for $45 bucks. It has a decent size magnet on it compared to the sad cheap little magnet on the OEM sub.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150710677461...84.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-8-DVC-DUAL-8-OHM-COIL-SHEILDED-SUBWOOFER-S-NEW-/370493822574?pt=Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item564327166e
Another alternative is to pull the OEM ML sub and send it off to have it re-coned. Check internet for shops that perform this service. You can also order re-cone kits and diy. Both alternatives way less expensive than ordering new OEM ML sub.

Best way to replace ML amp is to work with a quality local car audio shop. They can recommend something that will fit in the trunk and be a decent match for the rest of the speakers in the LS.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 01-09-14 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-13-14, 07:09 PM
122669GX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by herLS430
I am faced with replacing the Mark Levinson subwoofer in my wife's 2003 LS430. The dealer tells me that it will cost "The part alone costs $532 + tax plus labor say $248." And that the reason the labor is so high is that "You have to remove the rear seat, then the c-pillars have to come out, and then the shelf not the grille has to come out. The clips for the grille are actually easier to access from the bottom once you have removed the rear shelf , this info all came from the tech."

Based on the threads here it seems that what the Lexus dealer is telling me is accurate. Why in the hell they didn't make it a lot easier to replace the sub is beyond me. I did find a place on the Internet that will sell you a repair kit for $23. It just replaces and reglues the outer foam edge. Or they will do it if you ship the speaker to them for $50 plus shipping. I'd be tempted to try and remove it myself but I think that after 10 years the cone is probably shot as well. I certainly don't want to spend about $800 but I don't want to spend three or more hours trying to replace something that I am totally unfamiliar with.

IMHO, the Mark Levinson system is the best I have ever heard in a car and that includes the Bose system in my 911 and several systems in Bentleys and Ferraris that I have listened to. I have not yet heard the $3,300 (?) Burmeister system that is available in the Porsche Panamera though.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
simplyspeakers.com is where I recommend you get your parts. If you can get the speaker out you can replace the cone too or they can do it. They have how to videos on youtube linked through their site.
Old 01-14-14, 07:34 AM
elid786
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I did the "ghetto" fix where I got some liquid electrical tape at the hardware store and simply brushed it on around the edges where it was torn.

My understanding is the formula is almost exactly what speaker repair shops use.

The fix worked great, I would say for 98% of my listening, it's no longer an issue. Just pull the grill and brush around the rubber edge. I put a few coats, then let it sit overnight. Worst case scenario, you just buy a new subwoofer like you were going to do anyway.

I have to disagree with you though on the Lexus audio, I think the Levinson system is a joke. Not only is the performance mediocre, but the entire system, from the speakers to the amps are basically ticking time bombs.

What's ironic is Mark Levinson is some of the best home audio money can buy, but the car systems are crap. Bose is a gimmick when it comes to home audio, but the car systems actually sounds really good for a factory system.
I just did this to my car as the foam wasn't bad at all just separated from the edge and its worked great! if everyone else's foam is good then do this as a precaution I would say!