LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Time to roll or shave the fenders!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-12, 04:42 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Time to roll or shave the fenders!

Hey guys, I have been searching quite a bit, and now that my data controller is here, and I have the new wheels waiting impatiently in the garage lol, it will be time to roll or shave the fenders.

Seems like most people are saying that the fronts do not need to be rolled or shaved, but if they need to be touched, that a roll would be better, just to be careful of the tabs for the fender liners, as to not dimple the fender.

And for the rear, seems like everyone is shaving instead of rolling, saying the fenders might buckle back there if rolled, but if you shave, to sand it down smooth, and to paint over the edges to keep the fender from splitting?

Just want some advice for those that have done this (either method) and pics if possible! Trying to get an idea of how much fender material needs to go!
The following users liked this post:
415mm (03-26-19)
Old 08-14-12, 05:44 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

If you shave the rear, use a belt sander to sand down the fender lip. This is something I didn't do, but after some reading and consulting with others it seems like the best method. It may take a lot of effort, but it'll be the cleanest.
Old 08-14-12, 05:50 PM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in the same dilemna bro, I'm just waiting on a kit I got from my buddy to get here to do all of that...
Old 08-14-12, 06:45 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Kinda like this one right?

I have a belt sander at home, just use a low grit to tear it up, and then a fine grit to smooth her out?

Any problems with heating the metal too much? Or maybe just do it in sections
The following users liked this post:
PNWLS430 (12-24-20)
Old 08-14-12, 07:33 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Can you post up a pic of appx how much material you have left over for the rears?
Old 08-14-12, 07:51 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do not roll the rears! I had mine rolled and it's looks like crap because the holes from the mounting screws for the plastic lip cause the fender to dimple. Now I have to have a body shop fix it and repaint the fenders for $900. I shoulda used a Dremel or rotary tool/angle grinder of some kind to shave the lip, or just had my good body shop do it.
Old 08-14-12, 08:49 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much material you take off will depend on your rim width and offset, tire size and camber. It'll be trial and error.

When I shaved my rears, I did so when I installed my coilovers. I removed the stock struts, bolted up the rim and raised the wheel into the fender, made a visual-mental note and went to town with a grinder with 60/80 grit flap wheels. Finished off with light sanding and that was that.

For info's sake, read this about panel separation since the spot welds will likely be gone like mine.

http://www.vipstylecars.com/forums/s...nder-splitting
Old 08-14-12, 09:06 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Thanks! I figured on the shave I would get down there with the wheels and see how much is needed, but didn't know if there was a minimum amount to leave alone, like maybe 1/4in or so

BTW, have you guys been having issues with VSC? Their forums are hit and miss for me...seem to never work when I want them
Old 08-15-12, 06:41 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

This site works worse for me than VSC, takes a while to load pages here.
Old 08-15-12, 08:40 AM
LsBanGer43
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would roll the fronts also, but as for the rear I'd shave them but make sure to secure the rear panels from splitting which will cause the fenders to buckle. There's some tack welds that hold the fender to the frame once you shave those off bondo or glue those bad boy back together.
Old 08-15-12, 03:17 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Fronts seem fine....i won't ve rolling dumped, so i doubt ill have to do anything besides maybe bending the fender liner brackets in slightly....don't think i need to do much front wise.

Rear on the other hand....sits on the tire. Im gonna have to shave most if not almost all of the rear off. Then try to polish it smooth and paint or protect the edging. Would an epoxy work to hold the fender edges in place?
Old 08-15-12, 07:28 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Fronts on 8 i think....i don't think this was on L mode. It should go down more :

Rears i had on L, but i couldnt drop the jack all the way since the fender lip was.resting on the tire. I am hoping a shave will let me drop all the way down on L. If not, id rather pull in reasonable camber then pull the fenders i think

Old 08-16-12, 07:59 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

From the looks of it, you'll need at least an additional 3-4 degrees of negative camber to fit those.
Old 08-16-12, 10:06 AM
LsBanGer43
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can we get a side shot also?? just sayin haha
I'm not sure what epoxy you would need to use but the link above for the vsc site gives a brand but you would need to split the fender and frame a little to bond them back together permanently.
Old 08-20-12, 03:15 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Ok, so I shaved one side of the car...passenger rear. I used the belt sander, and besides running through the sandpaper quickly, it was a fairly easy and straight forward process.

I shaved most of it off...left about 1/4in or so just in case. I would def recommend this to anyone. If you take your time, it will come out fine.

I don't believe I would rub on a 9 with my ASC680 on the 19s...definitely would be good to drive around on an 8.

When I go to "L" mode, the fronts sit perfect...but because the rear wheels are so wide, the fender sits right on the tire. And since the tires are stretched, I am afraid I may mess up the fender, or the tire sidewall or both. I'd never drive it like this, but I am thinking with the weight on it overnight, I may have problems.

I am going to shave the other side tomorrow, and test fit on all 4 corners instead of just one side. If I can't get the wheels to sit how I like, I am going to have to camber them in, or just sell the wheels and try something else.

I really like the tuck look, and I knew I wouldn't ever tuck these due to the offsets and width, but I was hoping to at least hide tire and I am probably 10-15mm away from that without messing with camber. I think I gave too much credit to the rear natural camber lol

Last edited by C8V6C; 08-20-12 at 03:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Time to roll or shave the fenders!